What's new
What's new

Disassembly of Hendey-Norton No 2 table

Dr. Hillbilly

Aluminum
With help from a previous post (mainly from John Oder) I determined that that I have a sheared key or pin between the red and blue circles (with he help of a borescope)
section edited.jpg
IMG_7337.JPG
IMG_7334.jpg

So my idea was to hang the table from the overarm support, remove the retaining bolts, and lower the knee to expose the gear-train. But the knee does not want to move. The two obvious possibilities are that 100 years of corrosion will require more force, or that I have missed secret fasteners and I am about to break something. Any experience any of you can provide before I risk damage is appreciated.
IMG_7340.jpg

I suspect that there could be more fasteners between the top and bottom part of the saddle. Personally, I'd have removed the table first.

If it turns out you need indeed to remove the table, first put back and tighten the fasteners you've removed.

Paolo

My Hendey Norton No.1 1/2 universal's knee elevation screw passes below the base. Your No.2 universal may be the same. I can't say if they were built that way or getting ready to fail. So the buddy I bought it from, had already rebuilt that screw. I bored a hole about 6" deep in the garage floor to accommodate.

I suspect that there could be more fasteners between the top and bottom part of the saddle. Personally, I'd have removed the table first.

If it turns out you need indeed to remove the table, first put back and tighten the fasteners you've removed.

Paolo

Actually removal of the table is not intuitive. The dovetail ways force it to be removed laterally, but there are positive stops somewhere under the table that I cannot find.

Back