Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default DoAll MetalMaster Bandsaw identification

I'm hoping someone can help me identify this model of vertical bandsaw manufactured by DoAll. I believe the model is MetalMaster but I cannot find any other info such as the year or finding manual. I have owned the saw for about 12 years and it has always worked great, but I would like to know more about the saw. I contacted DoAll about the saw about a year ago and they weren't too helpful. If anyone has any info on these old, all cast bandsaws, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_5453.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like an ML series.
    Sexy as hell.

-Doozer

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Contact Doall instead of shooting in the dark here. They’ll tell you exactly when it was produced and WHAT exactly it is. I dig the Art Deco aesthetic for sure. I have a 1947 model ML and it’s not nearly as ornate as the one you’ve pictured. That’s not to say the model didn’t go through revisions over the years, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find this was an ML predecessor.

Jeremy

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a beautiful saw. First two numbers of the serial are the year made.
    I have a 1939 ML but is not art-deco. Also my tach is linear.
    Are all the feed parts there? I see the foot pedal.
    (fixed the picture)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_5453.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like

I'll guess the cast jobs predate the copyright 1943 Doall Contour Saws by them - which shows only smallish cast "appliques" - one of them being Metal Master - fastened to sheet steel bodies

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I appreciate all the responses and the help. I have spent quite a bit of time going thru all the brochures and manuals on vintage machinery. I also searched this forum and even google image online and still cannot find out any information on this saw.

Jermfab, if you read my entire post I mentioned that I was in communication with DoAll and they could not identify the saw and said the closest thing to it is the model ML, which there are several differences.

The serial number is only a four digit number which is "7217". This didn't help DoAll in determining which saw it is nor the year it was manuactured. I haven't found another one like it, but I'm sure someone out there has one and may even have the info I've been searching for.

I believe I have all the parts for the feed mechanism. It's a little different from my v26 but it looks complete inside the cabinet.

This saw is completely cast. Even the two front and the rear doors are cast rather than formed or fabricated steel.

Thanks again for the help

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great looking saw. I have a 1943 ML16. Doesn't look like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

OldGold,

I don't really know much about the history of these old saws, but I did a bit of research a while back for another thread.

Is your welder a butt welder type or a braze type? It seems the butt welder was introduced around 1936.

See post # 7 for a few dates.

Vintage Continental band saw and filer

I am interested to see your weld grinder is mounted separate from the welder, with a vertical shaft. I presume it is the grinder, anyway

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe a one off for the world's fair - not very far down south of you 80 years back

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Love the lines of that old saw. I have an early Continental DoAll "continuous file/saw" Model JD that looks nothing like that. It was a combination saw and band filer. I am guessing the vintage as late 1930's. My saw is a three wheeler and came with a brazing attachment, no welder. Was meant to silver solder the blades together, transformer still works too. Yours looks much prettier.