What's new
What's new

DoAll MetalMaster Bandsaw identification

OldGold

Plastic
I'm hoping someone can help me identify this model of vertical bandsaw manufactured by DoAll. I believe the model is MetalMaster but I cannot find any other info such as the year or finding manual. I have owned the saw for about 12 years and it has always worked great, but I would like to know more about the saw. I contacted DoAll about the saw about a year ago and they weren't too helpful. If anyone has any info on these old, all cast bandsaws, I would appreciate the info.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 430
Contact Doall instead of shooting in the dark here. They’ll tell you exactly when it was produced and WHAT exactly it is. I dig the Art Deco aesthetic for sure. I have a 1947 model ML and it’s not nearly as ornate as the one you’ve pictured. That’s not to say the model didn’t go through revisions over the years, but it wouldn’t surprise me to find this was an ML predecessor.

Jeremy

That is a beautiful saw. First two numbers of the serial are the year made.
I have a 1939 ML but is not art-deco. Also my tach is linear.
Are all the feed parts there? I see the foot pedal.
(fixed the picture)

Attachments

• IMG_5453.jpg
    IMG_5453.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 487
I'll guess the cast jobs predate the copyright 1943 Doall Contour Saws by them - which shows only smallish cast "appliques" - one of them being Metal Master - fastened to sheet steel bodies

I appreciate all the responses and the help. I have spent quite a bit of time going thru all the brochures and manuals on vintage machinery. I also searched this forum and even google image online and still cannot find out any information on this saw.

Jermfab, if you read my entire post I mentioned that I was in communication with DoAll and they could not identify the saw and said the closest thing to it is the model ML, which there are several differences.

The serial number is only a four digit number which is "7217". This didn't help DoAll in determining which saw it is nor the year it was manuactured. I haven't found another one like it, but I'm sure someone out there has one and may even have the info I've been searching for.

I believe I have all the parts for the feed mechanism. It's a little different from my v26 but it looks complete inside the cabinet.

This saw is completely cast. Even the two front and the rear doors are cast rather than formed or fabricated steel.

Thanks again for the help

OldGold,

I don't really know much about the history of these old saws, but I did a bit of research a while back for another thread.

Is your welder a butt welder type or a braze type? It seems the butt welder was introduced around 1936.

See post # 7 for a few dates.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...-band-saw-filer-344447/?highlight=Continental

I am interested to see your weld grinder is mounted separate from the welder, with a vertical shaft. I presume it is the grinder, anyway :)

Love the lines of that old saw. I have an early Continental DoAll "continuous file/saw" Model JD that looks nothing like that. It was a combination saw and band filer. I am guessing the vintage as late 1930's. My saw is a three wheeler and came with a brazing attachment, no welder. Was meant to silver solder the blades together, transformer still works too. Yours looks much prettier.

Looking for a saw that looks like mine I came across your post. I have essentially the same saw, mine doesn't have a tach in the column, but a linear speed indicator and my speed wheel is on the inside of the top door, not on the exterior. Otherwise my saw looks identical, it's a 14".

I bought the saw in the mid 80's from a friend who had a yard full of you name it. I believe he rescued it from a scrap yard. The table and lower blade guide were missing.

I went through the saw, cleaned, reworked and painted everything. Only the welder remains unfinished. Over the years I've looked for a table without success so the saw has sat gathering dust and grime.

Earlier this month I searched online and ended up purchasing a Walker Turner bandsaw table off ebay in addition to a Doall blade guide assembly. Last week I fabricated the needed parts to attach the table to the saw.

It looks like I will finally use a machine I've had for 35 years.

Like you finding information about my model has been fruitless. My guess is they are pretty old based on the all cast iron construction.

I plan to take some pictures and post them.

Looking for a saw that looks like mine I came across your post. I have essentially the same saw, mine doesn't have a tach in the column, but a linear speed indicator and my speed wheel is on the inside of the top door, not on the exterior. Otherwise my saw looks identical, it's a 14".

I'll join the party since I have the same saw, well almost the same. Mine has the tach in the column but the speed wheel inside the top cover, perhaps mine is in-between the OP's and JPCV7's. Of course, since my # is 7487 I guess it's later than the OP's saw.

I paid too much, way too much considering it's condition, but it looks just right standing over near my 10EE so what are you going to do?
Somebody yanked the original gearbox and motor and put a modern motor and CVT that gives 92-850SFM. They also removed the blade welder but I do have that unusual horizontal-wheel grinder still.

I wasn't able to find either of your serial numbers, but it looks to be sometime after the 1937, Model M, when the job selector wheel was moved to the outside. However yours also has the more ornate cast base which seems to be on the older saws. teletech, aside from your serial number, your description seems to place it right at the model M 1937/1938.

20210226_095238.jpg

20210226_095232.jpg

I wasn't able to find either of your serial numbers, but it looks to be sometime after the 1937, Model M, when the job selector wheel was moved to the outside. However yours also has the more ornate cast base which seems to be on the older saws. teletech, aside from your serial number, your description seems to place it right at the model M 1937/1938.

View attachment 315003

View attachment 315004
Where does the time go?
Anyway, yes, the saw in the picture is the very image of how my saw is supposed to look.
Seeing that reminds me of how it's been abused over the years but offers inspiration about where to install the VFD speed control and such.
As for the serial number, not a clue.

Back