What's new
What's new

Does anyone know the brand of drill press or the history?

KlaasDeWeerdt

Plastic
Hi,

Recently I acquired an old drill press from my grandfather (see pictures). It has no service tag and/or markings except the 'JK' or 'KJ' stamp. He does not know its origins other than that it used to be an already obsolete and dismissed machine back in 1953 when he started at his job. It was used before in a service station in Belgium. He used it his since 1953 and now I inherited this beautiful and fully functional pice of equipment.

Does anyone know anything more about this machine and/or its origins of the history of the brand?

Thanks in advance!

Klaas

8367ecfe-e51d-44bb-a93d-500d61857146.jpg
67fa69d5-85ab-4107-932d-1838cc380dcb.jpg

I don’t know the maker of your drill press either.
It looks very nice.
You might try looking on Tony’s site
Machine Tool Archive
I have a Matheys semi jig boring machine that was made in Belgium
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...eys-semi-jig-borers-329243/?highlight=Matheys
I’m Guessing that your machine was made in Europe if not in Belgium .
If the machine is built to metric measurements and with metric screw threads on the bolts and screws holding it together that would suggest made in Europe .
If you can communicate in French there is another I think Swiss site where someone may recognise it here
Vieilles machines a courroies

Regards,
Jim

I don’t know the maker of your drill press either.
It looks very nice.
You might try looking on Tony’s site
Machine Tool Archive
I have a Matheys semi jig boring machine that was made in Belgium
https://www.practicalmachinist.com/...eys-semi-jig-borers-329243/?highlight=Matheys
I’m Guessing that your machine was made in Europe if not in Belgium .
If the machine is built to metric measurements and with metric screw threads on the bolts and screws holding it together that would suggest made in Europe .
If you can communicate in French there is another I think Swiss site where someone may recognise it here
Vieilles machines a courroies

Regards,
Jim
I checked Tony's site (lathes uk) and vintage machinery.org and could not find any manufacturers using the initials jk or kj.

It does look a little like an early sensitive drill press design.

Very nice, and the family connection adds to the value for you

Steve.
Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Very Much like my "Monmouth"1/2" bench machine.

You as well Ted :) eons ago I had a Monmouth ( I shouldn't have parted with it, but that's life :( ) and only came across a picture in an old book (1920's / 30's ??? when looking for something else this very morning.

IIRC my Monmouth was sold by Elliots - had their plate on, but who made it was anybody's guess.

FYI B.Elliot & Co B. Elliott and Co - Graces Guide

Mine had no base,pullies or motor-but it's a great drill now-it's fairly repaid the effort of getting it running. Yes,Sami,Elliott's had something to do with it-the serial no. has the prefix BEC.

Only the lord above knows how many 000 holes that old Monmouth did before it came my way, ……..and believe me, I gave it some teddy. :)

FWIW - that was the first M/C tool spindle I rebuilt 100% solo, ………….and in those days bearings were VERY expensive.

Back