What's new
What's new

Does a monarch 16 CY have a spindle brake?

marka12161

Stainless
And if so is it tough to adjust or repair?

I've been trading notes with an owner of one of these machines up for sale and he indicated other monarch's in their shop seem to have spindle brakes (as does my mid 30s RP), this one either does not or it's not working properly.

If the brake is damaged or worn out, is it typically a tell-tale of other problems?

Manual says up on lever is brake. I have never tried that. I just push down to engage clutch and lift it back up to let it stop (probably because in the 20 years I have had it I have never got even close to the 700 top end)

Fall 1946 16" CW here. Manual is for all.

Only other owner was Houston Light & Power - that paid $5775 for it new

I did have a CY Monarch and yes it has a brake. Most clutch lathes do. Mine worked so I didn't have a reason to check the operation but I'm getting running a Hendey 12". Purchased a new clutch from Hendeyman with it came a new brake pad. Simply put on a Hendey Up is to engage the clutch and down is Brake. What happens is in the opposite direction of engaging the clutch the mechanism pushes a collar against braking material and stops the spindle.
Failure to operate in the CY might mean adjustment, I don't think it's a sign that other problems exits.

I think there is linkage on the back of the headstock that is for the cluch and/or brake. Maybe look there to start? My CW is is just like has been mentioned above, down is engage clutch and up is brake, (middle is neutral).

Manual says up on lever is brake. I have never tried that. I just push down to engage clutch and lift it back up to let it stop (probably because in the 20 years I have had it I have never got even close to the 700 top end)

Fall 1946 16" CW here. Manual is for all.

Interesting because on my CY up definitely engages the clutch. I've never tried pushing down to see if there's a spindle brake. One day maybe just to see what happens.

The detents (or something) are worn on mine because it often drops out of engagement which is annoying. One day I'll tear into it & find out why.

PDW

Interesting because on my CY up definitely engages the clutch. I've never tried pushing down to see if there's a spindle brake. One day maybe just to see what happens.

The detents (or something) are worn on mine because it often drops out of engagement which is annoying. One day I'll tear into it & find out why.

PDW
I had quite a few different Monarchs if my memory is correct engaging the clutch was done via a toggle. When it goes over center it locks. Sounds like your clutch needs adjustment.

The shop that I started in had a bunch of Monarchs. One was a WWII model(I think it was a CY model, 18"). The rest were 600 series, new in mid sixties and they all, except the 10EE had the brake in the clutch lever. Pull up to disengage the clutch and push even a little higher for braking. The old CY model came from another plant.

JH

I had quite a few different Monarchs if my memory is correct engaging the clutch was done via a toggle. When it goes over center it locks. Sounds like your clutch needs adjustment.

Agree, it does. The drop-out happens enough to be annoying but not enough to annoy me enough to actually fix it. It's on the 'round tuit' task list.....

PDW

Back