What's new
What's new

Don Robertson Tribute: -------- Gold King

John, Did you know this guy?

You read about him online and he sound just miserable. The best one was where he yelled at a little kid for picking up a rock. Told him if he broke it it was going to cost him $8.00.

Don't get me wrong nobody likes a good junk yard better than me.

Well I knew Don for about 30 years ,a year or so after he showed up in Jerome.And was pleased to call him a friend. Had a hand in the acquisition of some of his toys and did a bit of work on some of them also. In the picture book dictionary under character there was Don's picture!! If I wasn't a slow 2 finger typist I could tell you some tales of some of the wild and crazy things he did and got away with. First met him in the mid 80s at the Prescott old car and engine show. He drove a old 2 axle road grader over Mingus mt. from Jerome. For those that have not driven that road you gain and lose close to 3000' in 15 miles or so,and was laid out by a spastic sidewinder rattle snake!
The next year he towed a fairly big 3 cylinder engine over the mountain on a hard rubber tire trailer, engine weighed 5-6 tons or so. He had it fired up and was not running well so he stuck about a 10' 4 by between the flywheel and trailer chassis and then hung of the end of it to load the engine a bit!!
He had no patience with people the did not respect his toys/property.Had more than one case of mindless vandalism,some SOB broke all the instrument curved class crystals in the flawless dash of a 40s 2 ton Diamond T truck just for one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtAq9WhMRgwthing. I will miss him RIP Don.

I just came across this thread and am sad to hear that the old timer died.

I can't say that I knew him, but I've been up to his place a couple times over the years. He was a character for sure, maybe a bit ornery at times, but he was always friendly to us.

I'm glad to hear that they're keeping the place open, but it sure won't be the same without him.

28.jpg

Back