What's new
What's new

Drill press on FB marketplace someone needs to save. Guerneville, CA

jerholz

Cast Iron
Not mine and I don't know the seller. Here's what he says.

"Old line shaft drill press, not frozen, converted to electric, does not operate. I will scrap this if nobody is interested."

Only wants $100.

drill press 1.jpgdrill press 2.jpg

He pays you to take it or?

I don't understand. That thing should have been melted in WWII scrap drives.

It has a built in tapping clutch. Optional on most of these old drills. $100 is probably scrap price, or a little less.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Garwood, get the sense you are not a "save the old iron" guy! Hell, it may have helped us win WWII. Andy, I've never seen tapping clutch before. If wasn't about a 14 hr one way drive for this old Oregonian, I would seriously consider a rescue mission. We are an old American tool desert out here on the Left coast, for sure.

Garwood, get the sense you are not a "save the old iron" guy! Hell, it may have helped us win WWII. Andy, I've never seen tapping clutch before. If wasn't about a 14 hr one way drive for this old Oregonian, I would seriously consider a rescue mission. We are an old American tool desert out here on the Left coast, for sure.

No we're not. There's a shitload of machine tools here.

The problem with saving a drill press like that is there's nothing special about it. It's a piece of shit. Give that thing a home and then where do you put the 19" column Carlton that actually is the pinnacle of craftsmanship?

where do you put the 19" column Carlton that actually is the pinnacle of craftsmanship?

I realize it was a rhetorical question, but put the 19" Carlton in the junk yard. At 30,000#, it has real scrap value. There are very few people who can afford the rigging and the cost of the square footage in a reasonable building the drill will require. And those who can afford it already have one.

I realize it was a rhetorical question, but put the 19" Carlton in the junk yard. At 30,000#, it has real scrap value. There are very few people who can afford the rigging and the cost of the square footage in a reasonable building the drill will require. And those who can afford it already have one.

I agree with you. My 19" Carlton example is very extreme. I used it because I was offered a pristine one for free with a truckload of tooling if I gave it a home. I passed for the reasons you stated.

A better example would be a smaller radial drill. 9" column machines from top makers usually sell in the $1000-$1500 range, but I have seen a few decent little Carltons sell on craigslist under $500. Something like that would consume a similar footprint to the flat belt thing this thread is about, be manageable to move and be vastly more useful.

I guess I've seen many of the best-of-the-best manual machines scrapped while these crude relics of prehistoric carbon steel days are given space instead.

I agree with you. My 19" Carlton example is very extreme. I used it because I was offered a pristine one for free with a truckload of tooling if I gave it a home. I passed for the reasons you stated.

A better example would be a smaller radial drill. 9" column machines from top makers usually sell in the $1000-$1500 range, but I have seen a few decent little Carltons sell on craigslist under $500. Something like that would consume a similar footprint to the flat belt thing this thread is about, be manageable to move and be vastly more useful.

I guess I've seen many of the best-of-the-best manual machines scrapped while these crude relics of prehistoric carbon steel days are given space instead.
Drills of this style were made well after the introduction of high speed steel.

I guess everyone should scrap their Model A Fords and Harley flathead motorcycles. Those prehistoric relics also have no use today.

I guess everyone should scrap their Model A Fords and Harley flathead motorcycles. Those prehistoric relics also have no use today.

They don't in a producing machine shop.
Is your daily driver a Model "A" ?

They don't in a producing machine shop.
Is your daily driver a Model "A" ?

Funny enough, I know two guys that drive theirs, pretty much that much!

Since the Pro guys don't seem to care, like as not, that means some hobby guy gets to put the time and effort in to saving some of the neat old iron that comes up.

Seems better that it be cleaned up and put to even limited use, as some dude's garage art, than to cut it into pieces and sell it to the Chinese.

Kind of a poor comparison, vintage machinery that a machinist would use pretty much has no value beyond it's usefulness to cut metal. They don't have any collector's value, like antique vehicles.

Kind of a poor comparison, vintage machinery that a machinist would use pretty much has no value beyond it's usefulness to cut metal. They don't have any collector's value, like antique vehicles.

You realize you are in the Antique section where there's 501 pages of 26310 threads of guys doing just that very thing. :D

Amén to that. If you think the stuff should be scrapped you belong in a different forum. No one here argues that a camel back should sit next to the Mori in your shop. These are for those who care about the history and appreciate what was done by the craftsmen and innovators of the time. It’s a passion and a hobby not a job

This wasn't posted in the antiques section. It was moved here for those making comments without realizing that part.

They made a shitload of those camelback turds. There are thousands of them all prettied up sitting in man caves all over North America. Enough of them are preserved I'm sure.

I'm saying consider being more selective about what you waste your time fixing up and preserving.

A radial drill will indeed do more than this camleback, but the footprint is twice as big or more, the cost to move is 5 x, and if you need to make 3/4" to 2" holes now and then, I say the camelback is more cost-effective. Garwood does not have to buy it...but I think the person who does will be glad he did.
I have never seen one with reverse.

C'mon. We're talking a pure apples to apples comparison here!

Model A's and flathead Harleys have at least as much relevance as old Drill Presses and Shapers, to the guys that are interested in them.

At one time, all that old crap was just that, outmoded, outdated, and unwanted, which was pretty much why the few that were actually interested, could actually afford to gather them together, usually rescuing them from being scrapped, and managed to piece together what they could of the history and other such info. The stuff wasn't always worth much, as it is today, and had those few guys that ratholed together their collections and knowledge, not done so, all that would have been recycled too!

Lesse, what else fits that category? Tube Radios, collections of Girly photos, out of the back of "Gentlemen's" magazines, Old farm implements, and on and on and on....

Frankly, given that the OP is about an old, but reasonably complete piece of industrial history, I don't see what the issue really is. Outdated and not very useful, from an Industrial use standpoint, sure. But for the price, why complain if someone else might want what you don't?

My "useless camelback turd" quietly makes holes in metal [yes up to 2 "] in all sorts of parts, without fuss, for myself and neighbors, for less than the retail cost of only a few of the drills themselves. How much more would I have to charge for this if I was paying for a 2000+ dollar machine? Cost per hole in a non production setting I'd like to see it beat.

This wasn't posted in the antiques section. It was moved here for those making comments without realizing that part.

Been in the antique section prior to 11-26-21.

Without even trying, just a few PM links on camelbacks:

Camelback Drill Press - Unknown Manufacture

Champion & Blower 20inch CamelBack Drill Press

camelback drill press - now it's my turn

Just a few youtubes of them still punching holes:

Antique -drill press - YouTube

Camel back drill press Canedy Otto - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fY4N5QQfjzM

Back