What's new
What's new

E.O. Grabo Spinning Lathe

jmthurlby

Plastic
Hi,
My name is Jeremy and im a tool addict.... I recently have purchased a E.O. Grabo Spinning Lathe "4". This lathe is a sliding gap bed lathe and can spin up to 48" diameter with the gap open. I plan to restore it and put it back to use making art and custom lighting. The lathe is setup with a turner uni-drive and 3 ph motor. The transmission is definitely in need of seals and gaskets perhaps a whole rebuild(anyone rebuilt one before?). I have reached out to Turner in search of parts and perhaps a manual before I start digging into it.
image3.jpg

Im trying to wrap my head around what is going on at spindle. I originally thought the holes were wallowed out holes for a tommy bar. But I now I think someone put a spindle adapter on and got it stuck then proceeded to drill/torch in attempt to get in off. I am not sure how to proceed with this one, maybe try to remove the adapter and hope the original treads are good? Maybe just plug weld the holes and turn them smooth? Thoughts?
image1(2).jpg

I just got my second “4” grabo in the shop this week. That is definitely an adapter on the spindle. Have you made any progress on the restoration? I am planning to restore my “new lathe” and don’t know where to start.

Back