Early 48" camelback straight edge
Close
Login to Your Account
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Early 48" camelback straight edge

Found this large cast iron straight edge tucked under a work bench covered in filth, and decided it needed to see daylight again.

It reminds me of a Brown & sharpe, only because of the shape of the wood handles, but all the B& S ones I've seen were clearly marked on the top rib. I've looked all over it, and can't find a makers mark, or any numbers. The 2 middle holes in the webbing are oval shaped.

I may never know who manufactured it, but it sure is an interesting old piece of iron.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

B&S straightedges have vertical tabs to which the wooden "handles" are attached with screws running side-to-side, not vertically.

At a glance, it also look thicker and heavier than B&S straightedges (sorry, I'm away from home. I cannot weigh my 48").

Paolo

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo_MD View Post
    B&S straightedges have vertical tabs to which the wooden "handles" are attached with screws running side-to-side, not vertically.

At a glance, it also look thicker and heavier than B&S straightedges (sorry, I'm away from home. I cannot weigh my 48").

Paolo
    Thanks for the info. I actually acquired 2 of these, but the other is clearly identified as a model 6648 by Busch. The Busch also used a vertical screw for the handles, but they're long gone on that one.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Paolo_MD View Post

Paolo
    Here's some pics of my 72" B&S for reference. It was missing the blocks so I made some that hooked onto the pegs on either side of the casting. There's another pair of pegs that are in the very middle of the casting and all 3 together allow the SE to rest on it's side (however my fat blocks kinda inhibit their purpose. might make new ones eventually) I'm not sure if those pegs are on all B&S castings.
    20180824_225753.jpg
    20180823_011854.jpg

5. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Challenge in Michigan made one with wood handles too. The closed for a while and started to make them again. There was alco a CA company who are also long gone. Shamrock.

7. Likes stevewatr liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This one has a wider base than the two Challenge SE’s I own.

Finding the item that’s been abandoned the longest under our workbenches is an interesting pandemic isolation task. ;-)

L7

9. Likes stevewatr liked this post