What's new
What's new

Early 48" camelback straight edge

stevewatr

Stainless
Found this large cast iron straight edge tucked under a work bench covered in filth, and decided it needed to see daylight again.

It reminds me of a Brown & sharpe, only because of the shape of the wood handles, but all the B& S ones I've seen were clearly marked on the top rib. I've looked all over it, and can't find a makers mark, or any numbers. The 2 middle holes in the webbing are oval shaped.

I may never know who manufactured it, but it sure is an interesting old piece of iron.

Steve.
00d0640b856c4d4a8cc16ed4623ef3dd.jpg
6082fe316de2ccc6ba9f8ece3ca39639.jpg
d4acbdbfd9d0d7fb8afabbe4f954c044.jpg
f66f5923c1b154d6eb29214aed0f9a91.jpg

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

B&S straightedges have vertical tabs to which the wooden "handles" are attached with screws running side-to-side, not vertically.

At a glance, it also look thicker and heavier than B&S straightedges (sorry, I'm away from home. I cannot weigh my 48").

Paolo

B&S straightedges have vertical tabs to which the wooden "handles" are attached with screws running side-to-side, not vertically.

At a glance, it also look thicker and heavier than B&S straightedges (sorry, I'm away from home. I cannot weigh my 48").

Paolo
Thanks for the info. I actually acquired 2 of these, but the other is clearly identified as a model 6648 by Busch. The Busch also used a vertical screw for the handles, but they're long gone on that one.

Steve.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Paolo
Here's some pics of my 72" B&S for reference. It was missing the blocks so I made some that hooked onto the pegs on either side of the casting. There's another pair of pegs that are in the very middle of the casting and all 3 together allow the SE to rest on it's side (however my fat blocks kinda inhibit their purpose. might make new ones eventually) I'm not sure if those pegs are on all B&S castings.
20180824_225753.jpg
20180823_011854.jpg

This one has a wider base than the two Challenge SE’s I own.

Finding the item that’s been abandoned the longest under our workbenches is an interesting pandemic isolation task. ;-)

L7

Back