What's new
What's new

Early brown and sharpe legs

So I did some digging. I've seen those style of legs before. Robbins and lawrence machinery of the 1850s had those legs as seen at the APM in Windsor VT. Then upon digging further it says Fredrick Howe after working for Robbins and Lawrence went to work for the Providence Tool Co and in that time he had the small shop of Joseph Brown build him a turret lathe which was a copy of Howe's design. Image link below is a Brown and Sharpe screw machine.
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/W325XE/screw-machine-for-manufacturers-of-fire-arms-sewing-machines-and-machinists-from-robert-n-dennis-collection-of-stereoscopic-views-W325XE.jpg
https://c8.alamy.com/comp/W325RF/screw-machine-for-manufacturers-of-fire-arms-sewing-machines-and-machinists-from-robert-n-dennis-collection-of-stereoscopic-views-2-W325RF.jpg

I've looked at the three B&S mentioning Ken Cope books (Catalog collection, Lathe Builders, Milling Machines) and they show legs "similar" but not precisely in this pattern. Most don't seem to have enough room for the name imprint above the "acorn hole", nor is their acorn hole precisely the same shape.

A "Nut tapping machine" shows a little more than most of the "end view." The legs in all views show a more graceful curve between top & bottom.

Agreed though, the Turret Screw Machine seems "closest" to the Ebay seller.

And the Ebay seller is correct in his estimation of "early."

I think "Honrick" is no longer with us? He was the "go-to" for all things Brown & Sharpe.

"When someone dies, a library closes."

Joe in NH

The legs are 30/31" tall. If you scale things, the turret lathe would be a bit high to operate. I have a Rivett turret lathe on the original feet, and it is low by modern standards to operate comfortably. (OK, not really uncomfortable, but my safety glasses want to keep failing off because I'm looking down at he work).

Otherwise it looks the same. Maybe it came from a none machine tool product that B&S made.

Vince

Back