What's new
What's new

Early Cincinati Milling Machine tool and cutter grinder

maynah

Stainless
Early Cincinnati Milling Machine tool and cutter grinder

At least I think it's a T & C grinder, and it's early to me. A scrapper knows I'm a sucker for this stuff and trolled it past me. When they come right to your door yard it's hard to turn it down.
It's probably missing a lot of accessories, but is it useful for anything as is? The spindle has no noticeable play moving it by hand. It's hard to read with the lettering filled with paint, but I think the patent date is 1890.

I tried to edit title to find the missing "n", but it only changed the title in the first post, not the main page title. Is there a way I can do this? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0159.jpg
    IMG_0159.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 1,763
  • IMG_0156.jpg
    IMG_0156.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 1,608
  • IMG_0155.jpg
    IMG_0155.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 1,112
  • IMG_0153.jpg
    IMG_0153.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,226
  • IMG_0152.jpg
    IMG_0152.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,104
Maynah,

You're kidding, right? I mean, buying that is such a blatant no-brainer for anyone suffering from Old 'Arn Disease that I'm surprised that your wallet didn't burst into flames from the friction as you yanked it out of your pocket at light speed !

What is this "useful" thing of which you speak? You'll find a way to use it, believe me. You have a grinding spindle with a way to apply it to a workpiece in a controlled fashion. You can use it as a small-scale surface grinder. Fixtures for grinding just about anything can be made.

John Ruth

adh and John, you're too fast for me.
The dial, lock knob, and pointer are all early elegant. It had a lever with it that looks like a small horizontal mill hand lever, with gear sector, but there is no mating rack gear on the table. The last picture shows a spot where some missing piece went on the rear of the table screw. Any ideas what it was?

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 544
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 624
  • IMG_0158.jpg
    IMG_0158.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 590
  • IMG_0154.jpg
    IMG_0154.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 632
Quite Similar From 1903 Catalog

For your enjoyment. :)

Additional closer-up scan added

Intended work description added

Attachments

• Cinc 03 T and C.jpg
    Cinc 03 T and C.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 757
  • Cinc 03 closer.jpg
    Cinc 03 closer.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 850
  • Cinc 03 Work.jpg
    Cinc 03 Work.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 616
Looks like it's intended for grinding "bevels", ... as found on all straight "knives", ... like for wood Planers, Joiners, Moulders, or "Guillotine" type Paper Cutters.

With the addition of a set of "centers", you could grind cylindrical shapes, ... like the "bearing" shoulders on shafts, or any sort of ground bar stock, ... like "Thompson" Rods.

Doesn't take up much floor space, either.

Thanks to John Oder's post, (thanks for the extra scans), and moving things around a little bit, I do see where the table lever goes.
Everything is neatly tucked inside the column, and the rack gear is hiding under the table.

Attachments

• IMG_0168.jpg
    IMG_0168.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 549
Here are some set ups from a flyer that seems about the same vintage as the 1903 catalog

Note the 12" inserted tooth face mill - those blades would have been carbon tool steel in 1903

Attachments

• Cinc 03 Flyer A.jpg
    Cinc 03 Flyer A.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 644
  • Cinc 03 Flyer B.jpg
    Cinc 03 Flyer B.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 551
  • Cinc 03 Flyer C.jpg
    Cinc 03 Flyer C.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 527
Thanks to John Oder's post, (thanks for the extra scans), and moving things around a little bit, I do see where the table lever goes.
Everything is neatly tucked inside the column, and the rack gear is hiding under the table.

Have you gotten any further along with your grinder? I just picked up a very similar one. Looking for any information, parts manual, operation manual etc. Preferably as pdf's.

I will post photos later, its a bit of a jumble at present as we disassembled it to get into the basement shop.

(Partly answering my own post: Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. - Publication Reprints - Universal Cutter and Tool Grinder | VintageMachinery.org has a good document for the Universal of 1901

Gerrit

Welcome to PM Gerrit. Mine is pretty far down the list for me to do anything with. It's just resting comfortably in my barn waiting it's turn. Thanks for the link

I have a similar grinder as well. I'll try to get some better pictures for ya.

11165-A.jpg

Well, I am a happy 'victim'. While I initially will use mine for final grinding of lathe tools and d bits, I can envisage some surface grinding and also shopmade counter bores. It will certainly outlive me given how solidly this is built.

We broke the machine down to major assemblies before loading onto a small trailer (along with a small horizontal mill). Then into the basement via outside stairs and a 2 wheel cart.

Given its age things are in great condition. The paint is banged up and a few things have 'critical adjustment' hammer marks but the ways etc. show no wear. Below a series of photos showing various components.
IMGP3732.jpgIMGP3733.jpgIMGP3734.jpgIMGP3735.jpgIMGP3736.jpg

There was an equivalent type of machine at the large shop where I served my apprenticeship. It had a six inch wheel with diamond around the circumference, 3/16" and radiused. Shear lips as they were called were ground on the top surface parallel to one edge of carbide triangular inserts. Great for reuse of old carbide inserts and they performed very well for finishing cuts O.D. or I.D.
John

Here's a few more pictures of the grinder I have.

Attachments

• 20160328_211441.jpg
    20160328_211441.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 20160328_211449.jpg
    20160328_211449.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 457
  • 20160328_211454.jpg
    20160328_211454.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 352
  • 20160328_211518.jpg
    20160328_211518.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 384
  • 20160328_211551.jpg
    20160328_211551.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 398
You've got a boatload of accessories there. In the other tread I linked to, I think there's a link to the manual for this thing, where it lays out all you can do with it. Quite the toy!

And like the flyer says, "Any boy can run it."

Chip

I have just acquired a similar machine, which came with no tools, but I picked up for a 100 notes.
I can’t use it yet as I have a spur gear missing that drives the table, also there are supple differences between mine and the ones in the photos.
I have adapted Clarkson centres to fit it along with their t & c head. As a former T & C grinder who has worked on Elliott, Cincinnati and J & Shipman T& Cs I rate this above the ‘orrible Clarkson T& C machines. As tool grinding comes easy to me as I have served a 5 year apprenticeship in my youth, I will have no problem grinding end mills, slot mills and other milling & lathe cutters.

Re; “My biggest holdup in testing that statement is the need to manufacture a wheel guard or two”
All you need is a large enough tube , even a soil pipe cut it down the middle, braze or drill & tap a split collar on top to take a 3/8 inch rod and mount it to a clamp on wheel head. a bit like the J&S wheel guards- I am in the process of making one myself when I have time. H.T.H.

Last edited:

Back