What's new
What's new

early Deckel engraving machine- any knowledge of type etc?

wotcherman

Aluminum
Hi to all

I am acquiring this old Deckel engraving machine....definitely by Deckel- its cast into the guide arm- the top half of the machine is like a small G1L but it has a samll work table and is arranged around a round column with a baseplate for benchtop use...does anybody know what type it is ?
I've asked on my pantograph forum and nobody there has seen this model before....

Any info greatly appreciated...

Best

John

some pictures of the Deckel mentioned above

Hopefully Ive managed to upload some pictures.....

Attachments

• P1010765.jpg
    P1010765.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 91
  • P1010766.jpg
    P1010766.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 94
  • P1010761.jpg
    P1010761.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 108
Dear Larry

you are bang on the money- just had a message on the pantograph user group and its a Deckel G0....

Best

John

Dear Larry

you are bang on the money- just had a message on the pantograph user group and its a Deckel G0....

Best

John

Now you just need an Alexander cutter grinder and some fonts.

I use an Alexander grinder to sharpen the cutters for my Green (USA) engravers. It was a lot cheaper than a Deckel or a new Chinese copy of a Deckel. But maybe UK pricing will be different.

If you can use 1/8" shank cutters in your Deckel, I am happy with the price and quality of the Chinese carbide cutters on eBay. There are lots of taper angles and tip widths to choose from. They are cheap enough to toss when damaged, rather than regrind.

Larry

It is a Deckel GO from the 1920s, I have one just like it and love it. Great machine for small work.They are pretty rare as I have only seen maybe a half dozen in the last 30 years or so.

Now you just need an Alexander cutter grinder and some fonts.

I use an Alexander grinder to sharpen the cutters for my Green (USA) engravers. It was a lot cheaper than a Deckel or a new Chinese copy of a Deckel. But maybe UK pricing will be different.

If you can use 1/8" shank cutters in your Deckel, I am happy with the price and quality of the Chinese carbide cutters on eBay. There are lots of taper angles and tip widths to choose from. They are cheap enough to toss when damaged, rather than regrind.

Larry

Larry,
Do you know of a source for the collets for these Alexander grinders? I got one of these grinders a few years ago but it only had one 1/4” capacity collet with it. I can use that collet with split bushings for smaller shank diameters but I wouldn’t mind having a few more collets. They are a little different than the Deckel variety.
Thanks.
-Joe

Larry,
Do you know of a source for the collets for these Alexander grinders? I got one of these grinders a few years ago but it only had one 1/4” capacity collet with it. I can use that collet with split bushings for smaller shank diameters but I wouldn’t mind having a few more collets. They are a little different than the Deckel variety.
Thanks.
-Joe
I thought it uses common Deckel 20 mm collets. I have a matching set of 8 collets from 1/16 to 1/2 inch, but they have no marking except the order hole size. I don't recall now if they came with the grinder or if I bought them separately. I did later buy a collet marked FD Germany Ga with a no. 1 B&S hole that fits the small Green cutters. All the collets fit the grinder.

Larry

These Alexander collets look like the Deckel ones but they are 16mm shank diameter.

You should have found Tony's page on Deckel/Alexander grinders by now. He mentions that the early grinders take a rare 16 mm collet, but the later ones take the common 20 mm collet.

Alexander & Deckel Tool & Cutter Grinders

I had no clue when shopping on eBay for a grinder about the possibility of buying an unfamiliar Alexander grinder and finding it takes unavailable collets. But I got lucky and bought a 20 mm collet model. I was even able to buy a new belt for it from the USA dealer, but that was years ago.

Larry

I have seen Tony’s page and my grinder is the actual one shown on page two of that link. It has the same little splotches of red paint on it. I was just hoping someone may have a stash of collets that fit it. I can get by with the 1/4” collet I do have and spilt bushings. I only use 3/16, 1/8 and 1/16 engraver cutters with my GK12 anyway. Maybe some day I will get ambitious and make an ER collet holder to fit the grinder’s work spindle.
Thanks for your help.

Back