What's new
What's new

Early double geared press

maynah

Stainless
This is listed as an arbor press and I guess it could be, but it can't be rated for much pressure with the small diameter handles.

It's on Maine CL. He's a little ambitious on the price.

Antique arbor press - tools - by owner - sale

Attachments

• 00R0R_iylm2HOsrcW_1200x900.jpg
    00R0R_iylm2HOsrcW_1200x900.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 484
  • 00R0R_cqjMPgFToMp_1200x900.jpg
    00R0R_cqjMPgFToMp_1200x900.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 388
That is in the style of an older, larger capacity, Greenerd arbor press. But other makes looked similar as well. Spokes on the handwheel must be some poor after-thought, certainly not as manufactured.

You want it for free ?

IIRC that's a 30 ton press.

Price might be reasonable depending on how much rust damage.

I was watching a similar one on craigslist in one of the Carolinas a few years back, it was inside and look to be in good shape, asking price was $1400, it didn't expire, but was taken down, I assume it sold for somewhere close to asking price.

CarlBoyd

You want it for free ?

I'm thinking $100-150 might be a reasonable price though even that's a stretch. Considering how rusty it is, I think asking more than scrap value is a big ask.

it was inside and look to be in good shape, asking price was $1400, it didn't expire, but was taken down, I assume it sold for somewhere close to asking price.

What's the appeal? $1400 will buy you a hell of a hydraulic press at a much higher capacity.

$500 is a good price for one of these, if it doesn't have damage(one of the posts looks bent). They usually have a good working range, and don't require a lot of maintenance or power. I would buy one If I could find one near me for that, in good shape.

You want it for free ?

IIRC that's a 30 ton press.

Hmm. Competes with a HarborFreight 20 ton press upgraded to 35 tons - all for less than $200 from their website - and yields a spare 20 ton jack to boot. An additional $25 dollars puts it on casters which can be rolled around the shop for convenience.

Still - no cool factor with HarborFreight.

Joe in NH

Hmm. Competes with a HarborFreight 20 ton press upgraded to 35 tons - all for less than $200 from their website - and yields a spare 20 ton jack to boot.

This is my take. Wife got me one for Christmas years ago. Put a new bottle jack in it. I've used it often for many projects. The one thing I like about this unit is that it's more compact than my HF press is. I'm going to use it this afternoon to press the final gear onto my head-stock.

MT2 must be right. The shaft from the handle to the press can't be original, seems way too small. 1st picture.
Maybe this press is bigger than I think it is, but I wouldn't have guessed anywhere near 30 tons.
I know I wouldn't pay $500 for it.
I must be a bottom feeder.
2nd Picture is of Greenerd #4 5 ton press. No haggling, I paid the CL seller's full asking price, $100.
3rd picture is of Manley screw press, I think 24 tons, with a small arbor press on the side.
I paid the seller's full price if he would deliver it for me, (my truck was broken down at the time). $375.

Attachments

• 00R0R_cqjMPgFToMp_1200x9001.jpg
    00R0R_cqjMPgFToMp_1200x9001.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 209
  • DSCN4680.jpg
    DSCN4680.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 221
  • Manley Press 3.jpg
    Manley Press 3.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 260
that thing is much bigger than it appears...if that is the floor of a standard shipping container then the ram is at least 4" square and the columns even bigger.

Wouldn't surprise me if it weighed 3000lbs....

I'd love to have this. I don't think he's that far off on asking price if the gearing is good and the press isn't twisted.

The Atlas 28 double column like the one member 47Nomad has is rated at 20 tons and those are simple compound. This looks to be double compound.

There should be a handle and counter weight on the front that engages the first gear you see. Then a hand wheel in front of that.

Last edited:
MT2 must be right. The shaft from the handle to the press can't be original, seems way too small. 1st picture.
Maybe this press is bigger than I think it is, but I wouldn't have guessed anywhere near 30 tons.
I know I wouldn't pay $500 for it.
I must be a bottom feeder.
2nd Picture is of Greenerd #4 5 ton press. No haggling, I paid the CL seller's full asking price, $100.
3rd picture is of Manley screw press, I think 24 tons, with a small arbor press on the side.
I paid the seller's full price if he would deliver it for me, (my truck was broken down at the time). $375.

you are comparing apples to oranges, and besides that, just because you got a good deal on something else doesn't mean that this isn't worth near the asking price (happy for you you got good deals on some nice looking weaker units).
you aren't being forced to buy it!
as to the input shaft, there is no reason that (1"?) diameter shaft couldn't provide the needed power, with the miracle of gear reduction. ;)

OK, I'll concede it's bigger than I thought it was. If you look in the first picture and if that's a regular broom handle leaning against the wall, it must be about 5 feet tall. I was thinking it was maybe 3 or 3 1/2 feet tall.
My point about showing the other presses is that cheap old tools are pretty common up here.
What you guys may think is a great price for your region, I may think is not a bargain.

Now that I am home. I dug out the couple old Greenerd brochures/catalogs I have. Its a dead ringer for a Greenerd #8 press. Just missing the handwheel & ratcheting mechanism. States one man can exert 25-30 tons, 2 men can exert 35-40 tons. Has a 250:1 leverage ratio.

Figures for Greenerd #8:
76" tall, 59" OA width,
36" max diam between uprights
35" over the plate
Hole through base: 7"
Ram: 4" x 4" x 54" Lg
Wt: 2400 Lbs

There was also a #9 made to larger dimensions and weighs 2900 Lb

Info from Greenerd catalog dated 1918

Last edited:
I see someone on ebay asking $6500 for one of these, a 40 ton in much better shape. That's pretty crazy. I guess the question is how much will he really get for it?

I see someone on ebay asking $6500 for one of these, a 40 ton in much better shape. That's pretty crazy. I guess the question is how much will he really get for it?
His buddy seems to think $8000 is a better number,
Greenerd #9 Double Geared Ratchet Style Arbor Press 4 Ton RARE! | eBay
s-l1600-4.jpg
Here is link to $6500 one:
Greenerd 4Ton, Two Post, Arbor Press, Model No.9, ID# P-6 | eBay
s-l1600.jpg
Text from add:
Greenerd No.9, 40 Ton, Two Post, Arbor Press
Model No. 9
ID No. P-006
Year 1944

Specifications:
Pressure (With Ratchet):40-Tons​
​Distance Between Uprights:48-1/2"
Shaft Dimensions:4" x 4" x 55"
Shaft Thread Distance:45"
Plate Slots (3):26-3/8" Dia x 2" Thick
Slots Width:7-3/4"​
​Machine Dimensions:~ 62" x 44" x 82"
​Machine Weight (With Ratchet):~ 2800 lbs.

Back