Thread: Early Hendey

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the replies!!! I don't have a mill yet, and while I understand the concept of a flycutter I am a long way from being able to execute that operation. LOL Here is a couple of pics I sent to the machine shop this morning. 001.jpg002.jpg All gears are 20dp except the 42 which is 18dp according to my calculations.
    Last edited by dundeeshopnut; 04-03-2020 at 09:01 PM.

2. Likes Jim Christie liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So it appears I can get all the gears but one from Boston Gear. They have a narrower face but if I make the appropriate bushing and spacer, should work fine. Can hardly wait to see the price for the 5 gears, especially since our dollar is really low right now. The 42 tooth one [18dp] is more elusive though. It is an actual external manual change gear to get the different ranges. Might have to have that one custom made $$. On a more positive note, Bill at Roton Products is your man if you want rolled acme lead screw and nuts! My crossfeed nut was wore to $#it and the screw was showing it's age too. Now, I know most here would just cut a new screw and nut, but when I figured the cost of materials and tap, or the ability of my little lathe to plow that course thread through bronze, it wasn't much more to buy the semi finished material that would be nicer than I could make. So, called them up and asked if they could make a nut [round] with enough material in it to mill a cross slide nut out of and Bill said no problem, would take about a week. Had the leadscrew and nut in my hands in 5 days!!! Once I grafted on the non threaded part of my old screw on to the end and got a friend to mill down the nut, I have 3 thou backlash, not bad for a 117 year old machine.006.jpg003.jpg

4. Likes Jim Christie, Paolo_MD, M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don’t know how common 18 DP gears are on other industrial machines but I was thinking that some models of South Bend use 18 D.P. gears and it looks like that is the case.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...sPageName=GSTL
    I had some gears for a 9” South Bend at one time but sold them long ago
    You might try asking about one on the South Bend forum .
    It would probably need to be for one of the larger lathes though .
    If they were too narrow you might get lucky and put 2 together if that would work or you might get by with a narrow one if you don’t push the lathe too hard.
    Some other makes of lathe may use them also.
    Jim
    P.S. Be sure to check the pressure angle if 14-1/2 or 20 degree.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Christie View Post
    I don’t know how common 18 DP gears are on other industrial machines but I was thinking that some models of South Bend use 18 D.P. gears and it looks like that is the case.
    https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...sPageName=GSTL
    I had some gears for a 9” South Bend at one time but sold them long ago
    You might try asking about one on the South Bend forum .
    It would probably need to be for one of the larger lathes though .
    If they were too narrow you might get lucky and put 2 together if that would work or you might get by with a narrow one if you don’t push the lathe too hard.
    Some other makes of lathe may use them also.
    Jim
    P.S. Be sure to check the pressure angle if 14-1/2 or 20 degree.

Thought of that but haven't found a 42 tooth listed anywhere but it might be better to ask the experts here!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For the external change gears you should have some flexibility as all you need to do is maintain the ratio. You might be able to get all three from another 12" or 14" Hendey if they have the same ratio.

8. Likes dundeeshopnut liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thought of the possibility, but where is one going to find an 1899 - 1904, 12"only Hendey being parted out? What burns my a$$ in all of this, is I checked/researched into this very possible problem [along with any other one I could think of] back in August before I even bid on this machine so I wouldn't be where I am.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can buy China gear cutters(not hobs) on E-Bay cheap.The quality may not be the greatist but probably way better than a hand ground fly cutter.Being multi tooth would cut easier.

Don't over look using Nylatron or one of the other plastics suitable for gears.
    A China cutter and plastic is fast easy and will make a very nice gear.Remember also that the primary reduction gears don't see the load that the end gears do;the last gears in the train have to be the strongest.

I have cut many plastic gears using Delrin,Nylatron,Nyloil and Nyloil/MDS.They are quiet and self lubricating.

11. Likes Paolo_MD liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry I missed the part where you don't have a mill.But this is the perfect excuse to buy one!

Don't know what the used equipment situation is like there but from where I am in NE Fla,I could start from scratch and buy a mill,dividing head and material and make those gears for less than $1600.00.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You have me drooling sir and I am watching for a small mill but no way 1600$ is going to buy anything better than scrap up here. I am not giving up hope on one though.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by M.B. Naegle View Post
    Good attention to detail on your Hendey. I'm more a fan of the grays and blacks when rebuilding them, but they're looking great! My 1909 Hendey 16x8 was a similar "John Deere Green" when I started working on it.

I've got a younger relative of your other lathe, mines a Whitcomb Blaisdell 14x10 (96" between centers) and I'm guessing it was made in the late teens, early twenties. There doesn't seem to be very much information left about the company.
    Long 3 Legged Lathe (Whitcomb Blaisdell) Questions
    I LOVE black too, but black shows every flaw and I wasn't feeling like filling and smoothing all the castings, LOL and this lathe resides in a farm/fab shop so dust and dirt is ever present. The red is actually New Holland red and is quite a bit darker in person and is a dead match for the red it was at one time. The flash from my camera makes it look bright red in the photos. I'm already following your Blaisdell rescue, keep going!

15. Likes M.B. Naegle liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dundeeshopnut View Post
    Thought of the possibility, but where is one going to find an 1899 - 1904, 12"only Hendey being parted out? What burns my a$$ in all of this, is I checked/researched into this very possible problem [along with any other one I could think of] back in August before I even bid on this machine so I wouldn't be where I am.
    Assuming we are talking about the same gears (from drive of headstock to QCGB) my point was that you don't need to limit yourself to that year range. *Any* set of gears that connects A to B that maintains the ratios specified on your QCGB should work. I forget the specifics, but mine should have, say, two 36T gears but instead has two other gears buts since the bigger gear is also change, the ratios are the same and threading works fine.

17. Likes dundeeshopnut liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Exactly what gears are you looking for?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by RCPDesigns View Post
    Assuming we are talking about the same gears (from drive of headstock to QCGB) my point was that you don't need to limit yourself to that year range. *Any* set of gears that connects A to B that maintains the ratios specified on your QCGB should work. I forget the specifics, but mine should have, say, two 36T gears but instead has two other gears buts since the bigger gear is also change, the ratios are the same and threading works fine.
    I understand, and hadn't thought of that! so to get all the ratios, I would only need 2 identical 18dp 14 1/2pa gears to get the 1 to 1 ratio I am missing!!! You sir are AWESOME! Made my day!

20. Likes RCPDesigns liked this post
    Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jimsnell View Post
    Exactly what gears are you looking for?
    Here is a pic i posted earlier. the shiny 42 tooth 18dp is an external change gear [I need another one or go with the solution above. The other gears are 20dp and inside the quick change box.001.jpg002.jpg006.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

RustyDayne on Ebay has a full set of change gears from a 1920 12" Hendey gearhead. I have bought a lot of parts from him and he is great. If you go to his listings you will see the change gears with the tooth count. He will probably give you a deal if you buy the lot.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianboomer View Post
    RustyDayne on Ebay has a full set of change gears from a 1920 12" Hendey gearhead. I have bought a lot of parts from him and he is great. If you go to his listings you will see the change gears with the tooth count. He will probably give you a deal if you buy the lot.
    I bought from him in the past too! Unfortunately, those change gears are from a newer lathe. He contacted me and said he had more in his storage locker "pile" and would go look, but I got no replies.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by dundeeshopnut View Post
    I bought from him in the past too! Unfortunately, those change gears are from a newer lathe. He contacted me and said he had more in his storage locker "pile" and would go look, but I got no replies.
    I actually noticed that Rusty replies less and less as well. I hate hounding but sometimes we have to press!

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Update. After going crosseyed scanning over 600 ebay ads for change gears and finding very little, looked up Boston Gear. All the 20 pitch gears I lost are there! YIPPIE. Called the local distributor and asked if he could ship to an US address to save friggin broker fees, he said no, his retail price was stupid anyways. Called the company direct and got a message that I was not authorized to call them, because, well, I quess being from Canada and all. Called the nearest US retailer, closed. Found them all on Amazon [US] of all places. Discounted too, except for one. 172$ US or 282$ Loonies all in! HOPE to have them in a week or so, fingers crossed. Now gonna keep looking for the 18 dp gear or a pair of them close to the same size.

26. Likes M.B. Naegle, Jim Christie, RCPDesigns liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A forum member is parting their 16" Hendey made around the same time or just after yours. I'm not sure if the gears would be a reasonable size (you could get all 3, the 2 identical ones and the bigger one). Thread is here: Hendey Conehead with a homemade carriage?

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    Quebec
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More news. The Hendeyman is still alive! Called last night at 11 sez the parts will be shipped out Friday. I asked him if it was THIS Friday and he said yes. I even will get my half nut castings back. NOW I have to try and cancel 4 separate orders for the new gears I've ordered. 4 weeks almost to the day from the last contact I got from him, but at this point, I'll take it. Wish me luck!

29. Likes RCPDesigns, shapeaholic liked this post