What's new
What's new

early moving walkway

Marty Feldman

Titanium
At about 5:00 in this video of Paris in the 1890's

YouTube

there is a moving wooden walkway for pedestrian transport. It appears to be moving at about the same rate, or perhaps a bit slower, as the modern ones common in airports. I was not aware that these conveyances went back this far. Mechanism unclear - pneumatic? leadscrew/rack? belt&pulley?

-Marty-

I toured a factory once that had a vertical belt manlift. The brand name was Humphrey. It was novel to ride, and seemed very practical. I doubt that they are allowed today.

YouTube

That was interesting. It must have been "enhanced" though with the color, sound, and quality of the movement, not like any movies (much better), I have seen from 30 years later technology.

Great video of Paris in the 1890's. Apart from the interesting walkway, there is also the fantastic scene of "Les Pompiers", the fire-brigade, in career. Pulling a steam fire engine, probably something like the contemporary Shand Mason. Excellent film restoration, tks for posting.

Lars

Last edited:
I believe I have seen (recently) a vertical belt manlift in a parking garage in NYC. Basically a conveyor belt with 3x3 platforms onto which the parking attendant could step and be taken to the upper levels of the garage. Seemed manifestly unsafe. But hey...

Back