What's new
What's new

Hendey 16x8 serial#17455

BCIC

Plastic
Looking for any info/paperwork on this Hendey 16x8 serial#17455 lathe. Also looking to see if parts might still be available and if so, where? Please bare with me. I'm a welder by trade and have dabbled in machining. With that being said I'm not real familiar with the machining terms. I thought it would be handy to have a lathe in my weld shop. After getting it home from an auction, sight unseen, I realized the log bar with teeth on it under the ways that runs the carriage is missing allot of teeth. Also it has 5 V-belts that needs replaced which involves removing the main shaft that the chuck hooks too which is where the paperwork will come in because I see there is a lot of moving parts to this to say the least. I have watched a few YouTube videos but I'm going to need to watch some more!

Thanks - Chris

BCIC:

Hendey Lathe No.17455, a 16 x 8, a Cone Head model, was completed during mid-July 1916. It was shipped with a Taper Attachment. The original owner was the Bovaird and Seymour Manufacturing Company, Bradford, Pennsylvania. This is a 1912-14 design 16 inch lathe
that was first introduced in 1916, lathe no.15753. These design changes included a double Walled Apron, New Gear Box, Carriage and
Cross Slide. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe, but all of the original
drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required. I will check the drawings to determine if the "log bar" (the Rack)
used on your lathe may have been used on any later models. If it was, then I may have one in stock. Another thing to consider is the
possibility that the Rack Gear and Pinion may also be damaged. This is located in the Apron and would require removing the Apron from
the Carriage. The 1920 Operator's Manual, that John Oder suggested, will cover all of the special features of your lathe, even though
it was written for the 1918 design lathes, introduced in 1919.

Hendeyman

First of all I appreciate all the info guys! I'm new to practical machinist and I'm still learning my way around here. With that said Hendeyman, if you find that you have a "rack" (I'm learning lol) please let me know threw my email ( [email protected] ) as well and again thank you!!! Also curious how you have such detailed information on these? Oh FYI I live within an hour of Bradford PA so it's still very close to home!!!

I've owned quite a few Flat Belt Lathes but consider the Hendey the best! One of the nice things is the spindle lubrication. It uses a reservoir so bearing is constantly oiled. Others had oil cups on the top of the bearing to which many added the drip type oiler. Drip type is good unless you forget to turn if off when not in use. The other nice thing is Hendey had sling type oil seal so that oil that came out the ends of the bearing was returned to the reservoir. Other lathes would sling the oil out and soon there was an oil line on the wall and floor as well as on the operators left side!
As to belts I used the serpentine used in cars, wide versions are available. Inverted so the flat side is on the pulley. Yes it's a bit of work to remove a Hendey spindle but the belts last a long time and there is no clickity clack noise from the belt connection which I never liked.
Now I have newer gear drive lathes and 4 of them are Hendeys!

Back