What's new
What's new

Early Planer converted to Mill on vintage machinery site.

Joe in NH

Diamond
I'm mentally not pulling up the name but from a Connecticut Manufacturer.

Metal planer mill - US $1,995.00 (Rocky Mount, VA) | VintageMachinery.org

The "oval" where a name might normally be found may be painted over, or simply removed.
I'm thinking New Haven Manufacturing or their predecessor Scranton & Parshley.

17871-1-z.jpg

Joe in NH

I’ve seen a few of the planer / vertical mill conversions. What I’ve seen only one of is apparently a planer converted to a surface grinder. It’s in the Starrett museum in Athol. Grinding wheel has to be at least two feet diameter and six inches wide, IIRC. It was used to grind the blades for the early combination squares. Next time you’re down that way, take a look. Always an interesting visit, as I’m sure you know.

John

I've seen that way cover laid out in a book.

Which is not to say a previous owner was not the one who sent that tip in to American Machinist Magazine. 😆

Joe is not far off.
It is a Parmele, Mix & Co., New Haven planer from about the late 1870's, almost 1880.
It is not the original Parmele, Mix & Co.
Originally it was Parmele & Mix. Andrew Y. Parmele (1819-1897) and William B. Mix (1827-1885). They started about 1852.
In 1855 they became Parmele, Mix & Co., with George B. Woodruff coming in as a partner.
Sometime between 1858 and 1860 they ceased operation.
Andrew Parmele went to work for New Haven Mfg. Co. in 1872 as an assistant superintendent and stayed there until he retired around 1892.

This new Parmele, Mix & Co. was a Joint Stock Company owned by New Haven Mfg. Co. and was shut down around 1880.
A Parmele, Mix & Co. planer from an 1880 sellers catalog.

Rob

Attachments

• Osborn 1880 1 (2).jpg
    Osborn 1880 1 (2).jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 68
  • Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 1.jpg
    Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 1.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 2.jpg
    Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 2.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 33
  • Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 3.jpg
    Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 3.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 34
  • Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 4.jpg
    Parmelee, Mix & Co. 1880 4.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 35
JD Summerlee THudson.jpg

Here's a different spin on an old planer. Converted to a vertical borer, with the aid of an old lathe headstock. On display at Summerlee Museum of Industrial Life, Scotland.

Not for precision work! It was used for turning dished ends for boilers at Thomas Hudson's Sheepford boiler works.

Back