What's new
What's new

Early South Bend 9" lathe with overhead drive at garage sale

John Dunn

Aluminum
Started to post in the South Bend forum but this may be of more general interest. This is for sale, asking $800, at a local garage sale. I have a 9" and 10" already and don't need it. What impressed me most is the complete overhead drive system on the original cast iron bench supports. I suspect the bench was made for this lathe as fit is perfect and its included in sale. Missing change gears but includes a 4 jaw chuck, steady & follow rests, external jaws for 3 jaw, a few rocker tool holders. I saw it running and feeding carriage, checked and NO broken gear teeth. Has been used for wood turning and has layer of fine sawdust. Wood turning attachments included and laying on bench. Gigantic old Westinghouse drum switch is not reversing it, just on/off. Pin to disengage for back gear is actually a screw that has to be loosened, moved radially in/out, then tightened to hold in position. That feature must make it early? Im wondering if those stands and overhead drive are not worth something, maybe more than lathe, to a South Bend collector?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 408
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 306
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 264

Back