What's new
What's new

EB McMahon shaper (was Looking for info...)

Bjkttr09

Plastic
I am new to all this stuff so please be patient with me. I found this machine and and bought it without really knowing what it is. from what I can tell it seems to be in working order. the lady said that it belonged to her husband for some time and he was using it up to the point when he passed. she did not know what to do with it and I didn't want to see it go to scrap or something like that. I think it is a metal shaper tool but not sure? I know when I turn it on it works but I dont know how to use it or what the value of the machine is. I would like to gather info about it and decide if it is something I can make use of or find someone who would be interested in it. any information on it would be greatly appreciated .

Attachments

• 20180705_194554.jpg
    20180705_194554.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 329
  • 20180708_162304.jpg
    20180708_162304.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 321
Last edited:
What you have there is a shaper. As far as I can see on your pictures it is in decent shape and even has the vice. Add a hss cutter and it is ready to go. The cutters can be ground yourself, but most likely there are/were cutters with it. If you don't have them it might be worth inquiring at the seller. If you search for shaper on YouTube you will find video's that show you what the machine does.

Peter

please quickly click the "Edit Post" button on your original post and then go to the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom. Change your title to something more descriptive, like "Looking for info about a McMahon (sp.?) shaper.

The reason you should do this is that the rules of this forum require a descriptive title.

We're happy to meet you, and we don't want to see this thread locked by the moderator!

Metalworking shaper, a distinct different animal from a woodworking shaper.

Lathes use a single point tool usually held in a movable tool holder to cut cylinders held between centers and turned.

Metalworking shapers use a similar single point tool reciprocated in a moving tool holder to cut flat surfaces on an object which is stationary as a single cut is taken, but moved laterally and by multiple cuts form an approximate flat surface.

Almost better to see it than to describe it. Video of Whipp Shaper is notable, not only for the brand name, but also for the accompanying music.

F.B McMahon from Greenville, ?? is not widely known on the Internet. There was a McMahon in Worcester, MA late 19th century/early 20th century who had a line of machine tools, later re-seller, but not FB.

Yours seems a nice size for a home shop. Many like larger, but this may be like horsepower in engines, one ALWAYS wants more somehow.

Heh. ANYONE can machine on a lathe. When most people think machinists they think of lathe operators.

But to be a TRUE machinist, you have to have command of the flat surfaces too. Looks like you're on your way to there.

Have a safe trip. Don't get your fingers in the line of motion until the machine is fully stopped.

Joe in NH

I suspect that we'll soon see it advertised on Craig's List for high price. I'm sorry for this negativity, but I've seen way too many "what is this?" posts here.
Two posts, two threads originally in different forums, both asking exactly the same.

Let's not mention that it's roughly worth its weight in scrap, otherwise it will go directly ti the scrap yard (OP: if you do that, at least let us know to which one you brought it)

Paolo

I understand your concern and your doubts. I am not looking to make a fast buck and i would never scrap something like this. But I am really thinking towards keeping it and using it. I like working with metal just never had anything like this.

It is similar to a few other oddball-manufacturer shapers that have been posted here over the years- one that, as I recall, was from a builder in Ohio. Perhaps Urbana, or Xenia? Can't remember for sure. I will try to do some searching and see if I can find the thread.

Anyway, welcome to the forum. It's a good place to learn about shapers, and shaper work, since they are a bit of a dinosaur at this point.

Andy

Thank you I will also look around some for those manufacturers. If you do find anything I would greatly appreciate it. I like to. Find as much history on the machine as possible.

Back