What's new
What's new

Ehrlich IXL Lathe project

Silverfox1947

Plastic
Who buys an old lathe in boxes then goes home to find out what he bought, I did, yes, I am an idiot.
The lathe turns out to be a IXL Leader circa 1936 no: 30221 ver 2. (Thanks to Tony Lathes for his help with the identification)
I was told it worked before being stripped down and boxed as you will see that was unlikely.
I will list my mistakes: Do not start the rebuild before checking everything, hence I am now stuck. Buying an obscure lathe which needs everything made for it as you cannot get parts off the shelf is also questionable. After using grinding paste on the carriage ways to smooth out years of wear and putting the lathe back together again. It jammed point to point under power with the hand wheel pinion jammed against the rack. What had I missed? Nothing, I had noticed the carriage wheel falling under it's own weight at one point in the rack and my way leveling had lowered the pinion to rack distance just enough to allow that play in the rack and pinion to jam. On removing the rack it was worn. Hence I'm now trying to locate a rack or get one made. If anyone knows where I can get a rack, I also need an original left hand head stock gear cover which was missing.
I have fitted new chucks and back plates (5" Pratt and ER40 collect) had new back gears and the damaged or missing change gears replaced.
Yes, this project is being done in my living room, for that you also need a very understanding partner.
Project so far: I located a pair of old cast iron legs probably from a treadle lathe.
First tip get them ground square top and bottom (I didn't). I started by making a wooden platform and steel drip tray for the lathe to sit on (mistake). Mod two was to replace the wood with a full length 12mm steel plate (which doesn't move and holds both legs together and aids leveling. Once the lathe was bolted down I decided to make leaver system that is operated by foot pressure. That downward pressure slackens the belts and disengages the drive. I used the treadle bar, a gate lock to lock it down if required and an adjustable lifting bar to allow adjustment of the belts in working position. The motor was replaced with a reversible Jap motor which pivots from the 12mm steel plate and is not attached to the lathe itself. The poly-carbonate flywheel and change gear covers were originally designed to watch the parts working during the initial stages of the project. Some have asked is it an "art instillation" or a lathe, I have decided I like them and their staying.
Have a look at the pictures and if any one can help me save this almost but far from finished very expensive project that I probably should never had started please contact me.
Roger (In Bristol UK)

Attachments

• Polycarb1.jpg
    Polycarb1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 983
  • Polycarb2.jpg
    Polycarb2.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 748
That is an impressive project. I have seen rack material for sale before, but no idea if it will work for your application.

I am guessing that shimmering the rack to regain the way to rack distance will not work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That is an impressive project. I have seen rack material for sale before, but no idea if it will work for your application.

I am guessing that shimmering the rack to regain the way to rack distance will not work?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Thank you Richard.
My rack and pinion are away at the moment to see if an engineering firm can duplicate it.
So I do not have the exact measurements required.
The problem is the rack's length, it needs to be 800mm long (inc gap bed section) and requires the older style of 14.5 degree of pressure angle.
As for shimming, the old rack is worn into a bend like a long bow. OK on the ends, just worn where it's needed.
Roger.

Here in the US there are a number of gear companies and suppliers who can supply rack in various lengths and pitches, Boston gear, Martin sprocket both come to mind, McMaster Carr is a large industrial supplier here, they sell rack material, surely there is a supplier over there from which rack can be ordered, you would need to drill and tap it of course or otherwise make it match however yours is mounted, it will just come as a bar with the teeth cut in it. You could try shimming your existing rack down to bring it in to mesh with your pinion. If it were me I’d find a supplier and order a length of rack and possibly even a new pinion to match then machine them to fit, to have a whole new rack machined will likely cost as much if not more than the value of the lathe.

Here in the US there are a number of gear companies and suppliers who can supply rack in various lengths and pitches, Boston gear, Martin sprocket both come to mind, McMaster Carr is a large industrial supplier here, they sell rack material, surely there is a supplier over there from which rack can be ordered, you would need to drill and tap it of course or otherwise make it match however yours is mounted, it will just come as a bar with the teeth cut in it. You could try shimming your existing rack down to bring it in to mesh with your pinion. If it were me I’d find a supplier and order a length of rack and possibly even a new pinion to match then machine them to fit, to have a whole new rack machined will likely cost as much if not more than the value of the lathe.

Thanks for the reply.
You have summed up exactly where I am right now with this project.
My post was to see if anyone had any IXL parts available or any other information on IXL racks.
Roger

I wouldn't feel so bad if I was you Roger.I bought an Oscar Ehrlich lathe(original manufacturer of your IXL) off Ebay in worse condition.
8.jpg7.jpg9.jpg50 quid and a 400 mile round trip.Pictures are the only ones I have of it in one piece.
I've been slowly collecting the missing bits,travelling steady,face plate and some change gears,still missing three.
My lathe is 100cm between centres with a very rusty leadscrew,I was looking about for scrap Ehrlich or IXL to get a usable leadscrew to replace mine.I came across this one on ebay,
6.jpg
I asked the seller what the length of the bed was,I would know the length of the leadscrew then.Wrong way to ask as it turned out as he measured the whole length of the lathe.I bought it and drove 210 miles one way for half a lathe that was too short.I got thirteen change gears and some useful parts so for the price it wasn't too bad and a nice day out.
To get to the point,the rack looks in good condition,I haven't removed it yet though,it's approx 80cm long.3.jpg
Maybe I can help you out as it's no use to me.

When you used the grinding paste ( lapping compound ), the cast iron of the ways would have absorbed abrasives (this is called taking a charge)and will cause wear for years. It won't wash off.

JH

I have sent you a private message.
Your rack could be of use to me. I note that the red lathe pictured has a different apron, it has T slots.
Mine has the older apron without the T slots, which may mean that the rack is different as yours has the newer apron version.
Roger

Roger,
The T slotted carriage is on an IXL,which is the same lathe but a British import version.They bolt on both lathes the same way,the same basic casting just that it seems the German lathe didn't use the T slotted carriage on this type of lathe.Go on to Tony's site and you will see pictures of both types of apron and the same way of fitting the screws to fit the carriage.The rack will be the same size and pitch just different lengths.
My lathe was made in 1922/23 and didn't have the gap piece,the IXL I bought for spares was made in 1928/29 and the gap piece fits mine and the carriage moves all the way with no problem.
Keep an eye on ebay,these lathes turn more often than you think,there's an IXL on at the moment mostly complete and not bad nick,too good for spares but they don't fetch that much.
I'm going to change the carriage to the T slotted one because I find it more useful.
Charlie

Thanks Charlie.
I did know about the aprons. I have talked to Tony.
Mine is a german lathe with german spelling on it (no: 30221 version 2).
The original motor had a 1936/37 regulation plate on it but that was in english and was english made.
Do you have a l/h head stock gear cover going spare?
And do you have a spare rack for comparison?
I'm looking for spares and saw that one on ebay but it has a different head stock casting to mine.
That one has the banjo / change gear fitting on the rear of the head stock.
Roger

Sorry I haven't got round to answering your PM yet Roger.
Yes I have a spare gear cover.My lathe is German and when I bought it,it had one cover for the bull gear and two for the other gear.It's got the brass chart for change wheels in German on the leg right next to the big flywheel.My lathe was originally sold as a treadle(lovely bit of casting and not the round steel bar like some and still got the original wood foot platform).
I don't have a spare rack but I will check the German one against the IXL and get some photo's for you.
Charlie

Charlie.
Do you have that l/h head stock gear cover spare?
I sent you my email address on the off chance you do, so you could contact me.
Still waiting on my rack and pinion, so I'm job stopped at the moment.
If anyone can help, please contact me.
Roger.

Sorry I haven't got round to answering your PM yet Roger.
Yes I have a spare gear cover.My lathe is German and when I bought it,it had one cover for the bull gear and two for the other gear.It's got the brass chart for change wheels in German on the leg right next to the big flywheel.My lathe was originally sold as a treadle(lovely bit of casting and not the round steel bar like some and still got the original wood foot platform).
I don't have a spare rack but I will check the German one against the IXL and get some photo's for you.
Charlie

Hello Charlie,

I'm restoring a Ehrlich lathe (probabely Ehrlich) very similar to yours red one. I am missing the brass chart for metric change wheels.There is also no cover for the change wheels. Would you please be so kind to send me a picture of both? I'am thinking about making them myself, if possible. Many thanks in advance!

Hello Roger,

By chance, I re-discoverd this thread that I forgot since a long time.

If you would have some pictures of the original changewheels cover and, even more intresting, of the plate mentionning wich changewheels to use to obtain the desired pitch, you would make me more than happy. I would like, if possible, to reproduce it.

Thanks in advance!

if the rack is the same at each end and your not using the travel to the far right turn the rack around like some do with a straight cut ring gear for a starter on a cars flywheel but looking at the rest of your lathe even if that would do it won't do nice job outstanding work cheers

Back