What's new
What's new

Emmert Turtleback Vise #2/96 Front Jaw Measurement Help Please

Michael Cuddire

Plastic
Good Morning and Happy Holidays!
I have a Early Emmert Turtleback 96 (aka #2?) with the smaller Jaws. It was my grandfathers and has been sitting for years. I would like to get it working again.

It is missing part of the front jaw, the taper adjustment knob and "barrel nut?" that the knob threads into. I would love it if someone could give me some measurements of the front jaw(slot?), where the "barrel nut" rides to adjust the angles of the vise jaws. Also the size and threading of the knob and diameter of its nut.(Those are missing.)

I have attached a photo. The plan is to mill a steel "feature" and braze it onto the front jaw build up some gussets and hope for the best. I figure I've got the time and materials and have nothing to lose.

I have spent 3 days looking for this info, sent out a bunch of emails and called a few folks, but no luck. I have spent lots of time looking at the Emmert type study web site and called the gent at cs machinery(who runs that site and sells parts) as well.

Thanks in advance for the help. I really appreciate it!
-Michael

Attachments

• emmert.jpg
    emmert.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 307
I just picked up a Emmert turtleback but I think it's a T5.
Let me know if you think you could use those measurements.

Thanks so much for the offer. I would really appreciate it. I have come up with nothing so far.

I'm guessing that area was the same on all those vises. But if they seem way off I can scale down a bit.

Thanks again for the help.

Hi
I'm no expert on these but I think I have the same vise as you. I can get you the info you need but the vise is at work. I should be there sometime over the weekend. Mine is missing the tilt bar and clamp setup. If you have those may be we could help each other out?
I'll see if I can find a photo.

Andy

Yeah, of course. Happy to get you any info you need. I don't even need to take it apart . . . :)
Thanks for the the help.
-M

I owned 3 Emmerts. The older one (turtleback) was busted at the small jaw but the angle feature was intact. A lot happens over 25 years but I'll find it. There is or was a group for Emmert Vises.

Hi
I took a few photos this morning. Lets start by making sure we have the same vise. After that I will try and get you any info you need but it might take a few days.

Attachments

• IMG_5384.jpg
    IMG_5384.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_5385.jpg
    IMG_5385.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 226
A few more photos that may help.

Attachments

• IMG_5386.jpg
    IMG_5386.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_5387.jpg
    IMG_5387.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_5388.jpg
    IMG_5388.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 110
Last edited:
IMG_5389.jpgI just found my smaller acme thread gages but don't have a comparator to help . So the screw looks like it is nominal 5/16" measures around .309". The length of the threaded section is about 1 15/16". The length to the shoulder is 2 5/32". The OD of the step up is 1/2" and is about 5/32" wide. Then from the other side of the step up to the knob is about 3/4".
The thread itself looks like a two start acme and fits my 12 acme gage well by eye as far as threads per inch go. The form fit and depth not as easy to see.

As another fellow with a damaged turtleback Emmert, I commend you for the detailed measurements and pics. I didn't even know it had 2 lead acme screw for angle adjustment. Even if I had found mine, I couldn't have explained it as well. Thanks.

alum100K

Do you have the till locking mechanism for yours? All I have is the shoulder bolt. I need info / drawings / photos and or parts for it.

Andy

I'm not sure how to do it but many times the patent has a lot of useful drawings and info. Has anyone tracked down that info or know how to do a patent search online?

Andy

Andy,
Great! Thanks for the measurements on the bolt. Wow! I had no idea. I'm gonna have to do it on the lathe, don't think I'm gonna find that at mcmaster.

We do have the exact same vise. Can you give me the OD and width on the barrel nut? And how long is the slot that it rides in? Also is there a lot of slop between the slot and the barrel nut? And the "feature" that creates the slot, how far above the jaw does it come out from the face at its greatest height? (I hope that makes sense) Im trying to figure out how high I can make the steel piece to recreate the slot for the barrel nut and still allow enough clearance for a cover that I will try to get if this works.

I'll dig into mine tomorrow for you. Which part of the tilt lock mechanism do you need measurements of? what's missing on yours? When you say shoulder bolt, do you mean tilt adjustment rod ("o")?
the anatomy page is here:
Emmert Anatomy

Also, I've checked out the patents pages and nothing has been helpful. I'm sure when they filed back then they left everything vague on purpose.

Also what is that "keeper" half washer made out of? Is it a spring washer with a pressure fit around the bolt? Or pressure fit in the slot that it fits into?

Thanks again for all the help. This is great.
-M

C

I'm not by the vise right now but can help with the washer. The other things will have to wait. On mine the washer looks original and seems to be just normal steel (no spring temper). It just falls out of the slot if no cover is on. The "turtle back" holds it in place.
One thing that I forgot to write about the screw is the washers. Mine had several small correctly sized washers on the screw. I will get you the size and the number used. I believe the washers are there to take up the backlash.

Thanks for the link, I will look that over in the next few days.

Andy

Back at the shop and took the vise apart enough to get some photos.

The dowel nut is 5/8" OD and ~ 1 13/32" long, drilled and tapped hole is centered by eye both ways. The slot is ~ 1 15/16" long and a good sliding fit for the nut. The incline is ~13 deg. and the end of the slot is ~ 9/16" from the washer slot. The casting was milled on the "metal jaw" side but not the other and is ~ 17/32" wide.

I'll be back in the shop early tomorrow morning if you need anything else. Lets get everything you need first and then we can look at my needs.

Andy

Attachments

• IMG_5396.jpg
    IMG_5396.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_5398.jpg
    IMG_5398.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 72
The one thing that I forgot to answer was about the "greatest height". Although it might not look like it in my photos the part of the casting that houses the adjusting screw is the highest point. In your photo that part is still present so you should have that number. There is a slight dip about where the washer slot is and then it goes back up . That "back up" spot is still lower than the part you still have where the screw goes.
Hope that makes sense?
Andy

Hi Andy,
Happy New Year. Just got back last night from MA where we were visiting my folks.

Thanks so much for the measurements. I think I got it, but can you take a look at my edited photo and tell me what you think? The "ab" thickness couldnt hurt if that is easy to get. I'd like to make it as "beefy" as possible.

Also is area A1 a spot where the beam wore an angle?? or is that something I have to mill in? I was thinking of just closing the spot up with my "feature" but now not sure if there's something I missed.

Again, really appreciate the help. I'll be at the shop Sat and Sunday to take any measurements you need.

-Michael

Attachments

• Emmert Vise 2020ab.jpg
    Emmert Vise 2020ab.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 52
Hi Andy,
Happy New Year. Just got back last night from MA where we were visiting my folks.

Thanks so much for the measurements. I think I got it, but can you take a look at my edited photo and tell me what you think? The "ab" thickness couldnt hurt if that is easy to get. I'd like to make it as "beefy" as possible.

Also is area A1 a spot where the beam wore an angle?? or is that something I have to mill in? I was thinking of just closing the spot up with my "feature" but now not sure if there's something I missed.

Again, really appreciate the help. I'll be at the shop Sat and Sunday to take any measurements you need.

-Michael

Off topic, but how difficult was it it get the longer pin out of your vise? I have been working at getting the pin out of the one I recently purchased but it is giving me a fight. Its currently soaking in kroil but Im thinking it may be bent.

Hi
Here is a photo that might help. That feature (A1) on mine was milled in but I would think yours already has enough clearance. If after you braze in the part something is hitting you might need to do some sculpting. Mine seems to have more than enough clearance in that spot.
AB thickness is ~1/2" but should be much stronger on your steel replacement.
Everything else looks fine on the edited photo.

The other photo is of the shoulder bolt and as I wrote before is all I have of the tilt lock parts.

Andy

Hi Andy,

-Michael

Attachments

• IMG_5408.jpg
    IMG_5408.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5409.jpg
    IMG_5409.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5410.jpg
    IMG_5410.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_5411.jpg