What's new
What's new

Estate sale with grinders, shapers, mill, spot welder, plenty more in Albuquerque.

Thornewmexico

Aluminum
I happened across a Craigslist ad of interest today: Pre-Estate Sale Viewing and Sale of Machines and Tools - tools - by owner - sale

Leon Wilson, age 95, passed on recently. He got out of the USN in about 1941, and enrolled in college as an engineer. After the war he worked at Sandia National Labs and/or Los Alamos. He acquired some of their stuff over the years. His hoard is up for redistribution to machinists who will again pass it on to other machinists when they pass on.

His garage is probably about four cars in size, no cars recently, with additional room to the sides of the cars, so plenty of room to pack in lots of stuff. This is the land of no rust, and as an added bonus, nothing appears to have been stored outside over night except as noted. There was very little rust or none on any of the machines, and only a little on the tooling. Dust and grime were fairly wide spread, as can be expected in this situation. I didn't see any evidence of rodents. Access to the machines is good. There are two garage doors which open onto an alley. The distance from the doors to the alley is about ? 8-10 feet. There is a slight incline up from the garage floor, for an elevation gain of about 2 feet. The alley is flat. It is not real wide, but an average pickup with a trailer should be able to get down it no problem.
What I saw in the garage:

DoAll Bandsaw, I don't know the size, but it was huge, so I am guessing it was 36" throat depth and since it was listed as V36 on the inventory sheet.

Van Norman Mill. It was a floor model. I looked up Van Norman mills on lathes.co.uk, and Tony did not have one listed. It was roughly the size of my Aciera F3, so much smaller than a Bridgeport / BP clone.

Brown & Sharpe Grinder

Cincinatti Grinder

Parks Planer for wood

Gould and Eberhardt Shaper, which said on the label 16-20 inch Industrial Universal It had a vise and what appeared to be an extra tool holder for a shaper, but I am not sure if it was for the G&E due to a different color paint (IIRC). This thing is even bigger than the shaper listed below.

BG 16 inch shaper. [EDIT: Andy FitzGibbon is correct, this is a Smith and Mills shaper. See pics below.] I measured this puppy at about 6 feet long, and about 32 inches wide, and it would likely require 4 feet of space minimum for access. It was suggested the motor could be reconfigured to make the length about 5 feet long. I estimate the weight at least 2,000, maybe 4,000 pounds given what Abom79's shaper size and weight were. This also had a shaper vise, and for some reason, appears to have a spare ram.

There was a home made wood chipper in the side yard, which looked a bit rusty. The engine was a Wisconsin from the 40's or 50's. The age was estimated for me. It appeared to be probably functional, or capable of functioning. Certainly it would be a good donor for parts.

Spot welder with jaws about ? 30" long, which looked pretty beefy to me, but I don't pay attention to these things.

There were a bunch of vises some of which were Chinese, four lathe chucks, (2 Chinesium, a 4 jaw about ? 8" USA made in CT, forget brand, one other, no maker obvious, pretty old)

I didn't see much in the way of tooling. I didn't see a lathe even though there are chucks laying around.

There is the usual detritus which collects in the machine shop of an old guy. Mr. Wilson collected a bunch of interesting things which might be of interest to some like oscilloscopes, a fancy old volt meter capable of high precision,a shelf full of ? pressure gages.

This stuff won't be there long. The house is being made ready for sale, and it has to be cleaned out. Death in the big pot of the shapers and the other things unsold is potentially weeks. I covet the BG shaper, but there is absolutely no way I can fit it into my garage.

Last edited:
Shucks, my brother lives a few blocks away and is flying to VA for the weekend.
If I were flying to ABQ instead it'd be worth a wander trough if nothing else.

Here are the promised pics. Smith & Mills Shaper first.

Pictures of the 16" Smith and Mills shaper, incorrectly labeled above as BG above (thanks Andy) The last picture is of the spare ram which is thought to belong to this machine.
00A0A_c1UPJcE2Qir_1200x900.jpg00H0H_lFQJgafvoKe_1200x900.jpg00U0U_lWj8GEDY4Bk_1200x900.jpg00z0z_cbPsAA24wOy_1200x900.jpgIMG_4165.jpg
Edited title.

G&E Shaper Pics with a bit of the spot welder shown also.

There is a spare shaper like tool holder sitting on the vise thought to go with this shaper. Also note the spot welder partially visible in all of the pictures.
00u0u_ceT3LM7QyCj_1200x900.jpg01111_kB8q6hntTTE_1200x900.jpgIMG_4162.jpg00n0n_aSlwpkikV5v_1200x900.jpgIMG_4163.jpg

Other goodies: Wisconsin Engine, Oscilloscopes, Gages

There are more electronics than shown, but time limits me. The home made wood chipper might work, but I thought the engine might be of more interest. There was a whole shelf of the gage shown in picture 4. I have no idea what they do, but they must have meant something to the owner.

00h0h_fRTFnEeyJaT_1200x900.jpgIMG_4172.jpgIMG_4173.jpgIMG_4175.jpgIMG_4176.jpg

Van Norman Mill, B&S and Cincinnati Grinders, Parks wood planer.

I guess I should have taken more pictures of the mill, but there were time issues. The vise on the mill is Chinese IIRC. The Cincinnati grinder is kind of big, and looks like an elaborate tool and cutter grinder to me. The B&S grinder is kind of small and looks like a run of the mill surface grinder to me. The planer needs new wiring for sure, and had a dryer plug on it so likely 220 single phase.
IMG_4169.jpg IMG_4178.jpg IMG_4170.jpgIMG_4171.jpg01111_4FPbyJ3AOrb_1200x900.jpg

Most of the stuff shown here is able to be duplicated with modern gear except for the shapers. I don't know the date they will be executed, but it is soon. The Craiglist ad says on 10/15, but it might be extended depending on how the other cleanup is going. I suspect the prices are highly negotiable.

The thing on the table of the DoAll saw is a slotting attachment for the Van Norman mill.
Judging by the shade of green, I'd bet that the spare tool holder belongs to the spare ram.

Paolo

Van Norman #12 with universal subhead
Cincinnati #2 tool-and-cutter grinder

If the stickered price for the VN includes both the attachment heads (universal & slotter), it's not a bad deal, but not a particular bargain.

The tool and cutter grinder is a Cincinnati Number 2 .
It is older than 1953 with the open area in the from of the base that housed an electrical cabinet in later years.
There looks to be a Weldon air bearing fixture sitting on right hand end end of the table used for grinding the relief angles on the outside of spiral end mill flutes .

eBay

There is also a work head for the grinder on a small green stand.
See Tony’s site for photos of other attachments.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/cincinnati-tool-and-cutter-grinder-number-2/
If someone interested in this machine can’t see them on a phone or other device they might consider printing the pages from Tony’s site to take with them to identify the various bits and pieces for the machine that may be laying around the shop .
Many Cincinnati parts will be stamped with a rather distinctive part number.
Regards,
Jim

Attachments

• Cinncinati # 2 Workhead.jpg
    Cinncinati # 2 Workhead.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 132
Van Norman Mill

I was out there again today and bought a few items.
The Van Norman mill has both a vertical head and horizontal overarm. There is probably a slotting attachment as Paolo_MD suggested, but it was not checked for fit or function to be sure. There are about four arbors thought to belong to the mill, some with cutters installed on them. There is a box with about 20-30 collets for the vertical head. There is a shelf unit next to where the mill lived, and it has lots of tooling of undetermined parentage. If anyone has pictures or a catalog to help sort that stuff out it would be useful to whoever buys the mill in figuring out what goes with it.
There is a good sized library in the basement with maybe six milk crates of books of interest to machinists that Harry may be listing in the commerce section when he gets a chance. One of the books was on uranium prospecting for fun and profit, along with a Geiger counter.
I heard that some of the gear had been previously sold, which included two medium sized lathes. Since there is almost no inspection equipment, I presume that was sold at the same time as the lathes. There was a Cadillac height gage in a wood case made in Germany which looked in good condition, almost a collectible I would think. Edit: I am guessing the height gage is pre WWII, or maybe Manhattan project, but it would be hard to prove that.
So, if you want a shaper with vise in decent condition for age of moderate to large size, better call soon. "The end draweth nigh!", sayeth the prophet.

For Van Norman attachments, like the slotting head, it is rather easy to see for what machine was originally designed by looking at the serial number, which is composed by the actual serial number and the mill model number separated by a dash.
Anyhow, on my opinion it is better to sell it together with the mill than scrap or leave it orphan.
For the tooling, probably it would make more sense if you post pictures of it, so that we can have better shots at guessing what it is.

Paolo

That Van Norman slotting head should go with the mill. Look around for the drive arbor that drives the head, too. They get separated easily.

The G&E shaper looks a lot more attractive to me than the Smith & Mills. Looks like it may even have a tool lifter.

Hopefully they are pretty flexible on prices... I don't know what scrap is going for in New Mexico right now, but it seems like they have stuff priced at several times scrap value.

Andy

Left wondering how large that green shaper vise is (marked "milling vise" in the estate sale pictures)? Looking for a smaller 7" to 8" one for my Smith&Mills 12" shaper... but I'm a ways away up in Idaho.
Jeff P

Shaper vises.

Both were large, at least 6 inch wide jaws, and probably larger, maybe up to 10", but I didn't measure them. They both weighed at least a hundred pounds,maybe 200.

The date of execution of the death warrant is very close. IIRC, Harry was originally gunning for about October 14. Harry might be willing to sell a vise alone rather than destroy it for scrap value. You would have to talk to him about that. His number is in the ad listed above. He might also be able to ship it, but I kind of doubt it. You would have to make it worth his while I suspect. He doesn't seem the sentimental type.

Back