What's new
What's new

Excelsior 21" Drill Press and bits

CircleM

Plastic
Hello all,

Have this machine without a motor currently. Idea on what it would be worth?

KIMG0855.jpg
KIMG0852.jpg
KIMG0854.jpg

Kalamazoo 8-C-D horizonal saw

Good day,

Cleaning up the shop.

No longer use this one and looking to sell. In running order, needs a coat of paint. Ideas of what to ask?

Thanks

KIMG0837.jpg
KIMG0838.jpg
KIMG0843.jpg

The DP min $75. Max about $150.

Many price higher, but many, if they're smart, take an offer for less - often considerably less.

In 1978 I paid $75 for the same DP from a machine tool dealer in Worcester, MA. Generally "retail" prices such as this dealer would be about double what "as found" pricing might be then and now.

The market value is limited to homeowners and single man shops if not WELL protected OSHA wise.

Joe in NH

The DP min $75. Max about $150.

Many price higher, but many, if they're smart, take an offer for less - often considerably less.

In 1978 I paid $75 for the same DP from a machine tool dealer in Worcester, MA. Generally "retail" prices such as this dealer would be about double what "as found" pricing might be then and now.

The market value is limited to homeowners and single man shops if not WELL protected OSHA wise.

Joe in NH

You boys are spoiled down there. A complete non broken Royersford or similar go for 500 for a "pile" and an easy 800+ for a restored or great survivor here. That is bare, no big set of twist drills to go with it! Lots of demand for the above mentioned, and farm shops here. [I have 2 ready cash buyers for mine IF I ever want to sell it.] My reply is "at my estate auction, until then, come over and I'll drill your holes as I want to see it pay for itself in 10 years or so." LOL

Here's a checklist:

Is every tooth on every gear present and in good working condition?
Is there any damage from taper pins being overdriven? (blowouts)
Do all of the bolts match on the babbitt bearing covers?
Is every babbitt bearing in good working condition?
Is there scoring on any shaft from lubrication failure?
Are the bearing cap shims present, intact and the right size?
Does the quill travel smoothly through its entire range?
Is the table badly overdrilled?
Is the table raising crank handle missing? If there, does the table move correctly?
Is the spindle bent?
Is the spindle taper undamaged?
Does the machine come with motor, controls and belts?
Are there any other broken or damaged parts?
Is the machine's power downfeed functional with all its parts?
Have any castings or gear teeth been repaired?

Before valuing that machine, these questions must be addressed. For example, buying a motor for a machine adds about $200. Adding controls, another $50. Buying new belts, another $200. That's a $450 swing in value you don't even mention.

If the babbitt bearings all need to be repoured and remachined, that's a big deal and must be factored in.

This is all spoken with the voice of experience.

metalmagpie

I 'm not interested in either the drill press or the drills but you may find it would attract more buyers and be worth your time to clean up the drills ,list the sizes and take some more pictures showing their condition .
They could also be useful to someone with a lathe , milling machine or other drill press but without knowing the drill sizes and the sizes and condition of the taper shanks they will not attract a good offer.
New taper shank drills are quite expensive in larger sizes but there are many with damaged tips and shanks rusting away in buckets that can be had for very little.
Some pictures showing the condition of the drill press table that often ends up half drilled away may either attract an offer or avoid you having to waste time with a disappointed potential customer .
Regards,
Jim
P.S. I didn't notice the previous post while I was typing mine . Some good suggestions there .

I have three of those drill press's and never gave more then 150.00 for one.
I have one I paid 75.00 for and I did pay a fellow member for bringing it to me and but that was really me offering my gratitude as he was not going to charge me at all. He went out of his way to help I wish I could have paid more.
I got the one from Pennsylvania.

Back