F/S Big LeBlonde Lathe - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talked to Dan, very nice guy. He has a way to load it on a trailer. Seems to think it weighs about 16000, and would like to get $2000 US for his machine. Has never had it running. The contacts in the electric boxes are missing. There is a tool holder, face plate, 3 and 4 jaw chucks and 3 or 4 steady rests. The lathe has been stored under and awning for some time and has surface rust. I am still planing a trip to the east coast end of march and it seems Dan and the Le Blond are almost right on the way. Seriously considering looking at machine.

Tim

2. Likes tdmidget, ClappedOutBport liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

your the man timvercoe

4. Likes tdmidget liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has any one got any information on these machines? Don thinks it will clear 30in over the cross slide. I see in the brochure that john posted (thanks john) that originally it was designed to have 80 speeds. And as some one noted the motor and was changed and an extra transmission added. I wonder if the original motor was DC or a brush type with a movable brush holder? Pardon my lack of knowledge here, but could one replace all that with a modern 3 phase motor and a VFD? What kind of hp would one need to run a 30 diameter lathe? Transportation? I've got access to a ford F 7000 with 20 ft flatbed. (I might have to buy it to use it though.) GVW 26000. Also want to pick up a monarch lathe, 5400lbs, and two tapping machines, 700lbs combined. If the leblond weighs in at 10,000 that would put me slightly over 26000. Personal use transport? Ovoid Scales? Any thoughts? Seems like at this point each machine I want puts me over, slightly GVW, and no CDL.........
    Thanks all for reading and your thoughts on this.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by timvercoe View Post
    Has any one got any information on these machines? What kind of hp would one need to run a 30 diameter lathe?
    Thanks all for reading and your thoughts on this.

Tim
    Here is the biggest in the 1911 catalog, and its specs, showing 11200 Lbs. I expect even this "rudimentary" gear head would be heavier than the cone, and especially with the extra iron piled on and if longer

As to power, my 1916 24" L&S that swings 27 1/2" has 15 HP. Kind of pricey VFD I expect......

On edit...may not be a large as this 33 - note TWO saddle tee slots right of cross slide, but only one on the topic machine (Early on in thread we see the serial is for a 27" HD -which by the late teens would have been a "raised" machine with an actual swing of near 30".)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 33-inch-1911-lb.jpg   33-specs-1911-lb.jpg  

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Here is the biggest in the 1911 catalog, and its specs, showing 11200 Lbs. I expect even this "rudimentary" gear head would be heavier than the cone, and especially with the extra iron piled on and if longer

As to power, my 1916 24" L&S that swings 27 1/2" has 15 HP. Kind of pricey VFD I expect......

On edit...may not be a large as this 33 - note TWO saddle tee slots right of cross slide, but only one on the topic machine (Early on in thread we see the serial is for a 27" HD -which by the late teens would have been a "raised" machine with an actual swing of near 30".)
    Thanks John

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A couple of pages from LeBlond 1916 catalog, details about motor drive, but nothing about the lathesleblond-heavy-1916-small-.jpgleblond-heavy-1916-small-b.jpg

9. Likes timvercoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And a couple of pages from 1911 catalog, again no info on lathe just the motor drive.leblond-heavy-1911-.jpgleblond-heavy-1911-b.jpg

11. Likes timvercoe liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Brian for the post. The drawings of the machines would indicate that the motors are brush type, which would allow at least two different ways of controlling the speed by shifting the armature field in relations to the stator field. I know the torque ratings of DC motors and AC motors are different. I have a 5 hp 220v DC motor and controller. I wonder if its torque ratting would be close enough to run the machine. I am still way up in the air about actually trying to acquire this machine. I don't have work, lined up for it for sure and it would likely sit for long periods of time between use. Still......it seems that once a machine is running I find all kinds of stuff to do with it. Also if you wouldn't mind I'd like to get a copy, electronic would be fine, of the catalog for the 1916 machine.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unfortunately the 1916 full line catalog, does not discuss the motor driven lathes, only the motor drive I posted. There is an * on previous page that I did not scan, that says "We issue a special booklet covering motor-driven lathes in detail". Do not have that booklet, and never have seen one.leblond-motor-driven-lathe-type-b-small.jpglathe-leblond-motor-driven-lathe-b-small-text.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what I would do with this machine. It seems like it would be really cool to have it set up the way it was designed, and again I always find work for running machines, even for some that don't work.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well for any one whom might be interested.................On the way to new york to pick up some machines in long island and Attleborough MA I stopped and looked at the Leblond. First off I'd like to say the current owner Dan is just a great guy. He is a pile maker much like me, I felt very much at home. He has got lots of great stuff and of course the leblond.

The leblond: has as has been noted, modified, It has a 10 hp 3 phase motor and an added 4 speed transmission. The out put of the transmission drives a chain that inputs into the head stock. It is a two speed head stock with a back gear so a total of 4 speed in the head. Rough calculations puts the top speed about 300. I am headed back to Dons to pick up a Keller tracing attachment for the monarch I just bought that originally had a keller attachment. I will look again at the speed options. It is amazingly complete has 4 steady rest, a two post and a four post tool holder. There is a face plate and 4 jaw chuck. The gearing in the head stock and back gear are all open gears, no oil bath here. Scrape away the rust and some old paint and it looks pretty good. It appears to swing 30 in over ways and if I'm not mistaken would be 8ft 6in between centers. He is looking for a brown and sharp #2 horizontal mill. I'll post more on sun or monday and try to get some better pictures.

Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tim, if J O"s weight is correct it is 5 tons. Scrap prices are in gross tons, 2240 lbs. Just so you price it right if not already set.

Post Thanks / Like

You can see here same town competitor's 27" was really a 30 1/2" as of 1916. Doubt that R.K LeBlond was dragging his heels in that regard

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...log/LSpg48.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My buddy Dan still looking to sell this fine lathe. Any takers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's worth $200 in scrap broken in half.

It will cost atleast $500 to get it to a scrapyard and it needs to be cut in 1/2.

Suggest evaluating asking price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So What are you saying Garwood? That you are interested !
    Last edited by deadend; 11-23-2016 at 10:41 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its the 3900miles putting me off

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by deadend View Post
    So What are you saying Garwood? That you are interested !
    I'm saying it's an interesting machine, but not actually useful or worth anything. That's why it hasn't sold.

$2000 will buy a heck of a lot better lathe than what you have there. $500 will buy a much nicer lathe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some people like to preserve the past. It is our history of the machining trade. Like guy who have old hit and miss motors and classic cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by deadend View Post
    Some people like to preserve the past. It is our history of the machining trade. Like guy who have old hit and miss motors and classic cars.
    So donate it to a museum. The price is way out of line with value.

If you think it's really worth that much, better you keep it and treasure it yourself.

PDW