Fair Price for a Swiss Multifix Tool Post?
Close
Login to Your Account
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default Fair Price for a Swiss Multifix Tool Post?

    Hi all,

    I have an opportunity to buy a real Swiss Multifix tool post, but it's expensive... Really more than I wanted to pay, but I've wanted one for a while. Can you guys give me a reasonable idea of what a fair price might be? It does not come with any holders... Just the post and handle.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    13,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    699
    Likes (Received)
    3965

    Default

    They come in different sizes and the larger, the more expensive. And a used one will be cheaper than an unused one. So, if you expect help, give the important details.

    I said unused instead of new because I understand the product is no longer made in Switzerland. Not sure if the European sellers of these things are getting them from somewhere in Europe or from China.

    searchresults

    Larry

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    This is for the "A" size and it is used. As you said, I don't believe the new ones listed at Pen Tool are actually Swiss made. Although they do say "Swiss" so maybe they are. It's difficult to tell. Anyhow, your link was helpful, so thanks.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    LATVIA
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    218

    Default

    a little while ago I bought a new A size Multifix from Schnellwechselhalter nach Multifix System, post + 6 holders was below 500 EUR, tool post alone was around 150EUR, you can check the website for current prices

    the risk with buying just the post, and a used one, can be with problems getting holders that will fit it, I know the new ones now sold come in 2 (at least 2) different varieties, and you can't tell the difference from web pictures, for instance the chinese made Multifix A size holders will not fit the A size post from German PeWeTools, difference was in the "tongs" (if that is the correct word), that website had something written about their improved design

  5. Likes crpearson liked this post
  6. #5
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Country
    UNITED KINGDOM
    Posts
    1,271
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    377
    Likes (Received)
    358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    a little while ago I bought a new A size Multifix from Schnellwechselhalter nach Multifix System, post + 6 holders was below 500 EUR, tool post alone was around 150EUR, you can check the website for current prices

    the risk with buying just the post, and a used one, can be with problems getting holders that will fit it, I know the new ones now sold come in 2 (at least 2) different varieties, and you can't tell the difference from web pictures, for instance the chinese made Multifix A size holders will not fit the A size post from German PeWeTools, difference was in the "tongs" (if that is the correct word), that website had something written about their improved design
    With the greatest of respect "JZ" this product is NOT the "Original" Swiss Multifix, Euro 500 could well be demanded for a NEW toolpost alone.

    CRPearson - I have a spare GENUINE Swiss Toolpost in excellent condition if you're still looking, just PM me!

    John

  7. Likes crpearson liked this post
  8. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Hi John,

    I sent you a PM. Thanks

  9. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    45
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    28
    Likes (Received)
    18

    Default

    Thanks for that perspective JZ. I'd not realized that all the holders were not interchangeable. That's certainly something to carefully consider as these systems are a rather large investment!

  10. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Indiana
    Posts
    13,015
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    699
    Likes (Received)
    3965

    Default

    I also have a spare Swiss A tool post. It was sold circa 1980 by Enco and has their name on it. I bought a spare set because it was cheaper than buying just the holders individually and never used the post, so it is NIB. I have been using my Enco A set (Enco called the A size E2) for about 40 years and it is still rock solid. I think I have a dozen or so holders, including the threading holders.

    No, I will not sell the post for what I paid in 1980.

    Here is a picture of a genuine Minder Swiss Multifix Aa tool post so you can see what the nameplate looks like. Enco used a stick-on nameplate that covers one of the little drive pin holes where Minder would have nailed on their plate. The holders that Enco sold have the normal Swiss marks stamped in the steel plus Enco E2 chemically etched on the side.

    Larry

    dsc00003.jpg dsc00004.jpg dsc00005.jpg dsc00006.jpg dsc00007.jpg

  11. Likes crpearson liked this post
  12. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Country
    LATVIA
    Posts
    442
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    108
    Likes (Received)
    218

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey John View Post
    With the greatest of respect "JZ" this product is NOT the "Original" Swiss Multifix, Euro 500 could well be demanded for a NEW toolpost alone.

    CRPearson - I have a spare GENUINE Swiss Toolpost in excellent condition if you're still looking, just PM me!

    John
    oh I wasn't trying to offend "purists"

    if the aim is to get the "original", then that is what he should look for, I just wanted to point out that the new holders, that can be found on usual auction sites, have little differences and may not fit, that was one of the reasons I went with the German one, because I could go back and just order more holders as needed and know they will fit

  13. Likes alum100k liked this post
  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    233
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    162
    Likes (Received)
    36

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jz79 View Post
    oh I wasn't trying to offend "purists"

    if the aim is to get the "original", then that is what he should look for, I just wanted to point out that the new holders, that can be found on usual auction sites, have little differences and may not fit, that was one of the reasons I went with the German one, because I could go back and just order more holders as needed and know they will fit
    Let me be the first to say you are fine. Extreme good information about the Multifix types.


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •