What's new
What's new

Ferrohexis

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
Today saw the serious destructive fragmentation of my OM_1 Omnimil. At thirty thousand lbs, the only thing I have left to move it is D-7 size Terex. Aside from counting brown recluse like critters domiciiled under Hennig way covers, the work is largely mind-numbing. Still, an occupation which should be enobled. So, I propose a few definitions:
ferrorrhexis-the destructive fragmentation of ferrous based tool entity. This term derived from latin root for iron and latin-greek for destruction, as in karyorrhexis
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karyorrhexis
This actually makes sense since the federal government classifies many used machine tools not as usable items but "unpreped heavy melting iron".
So, if you have a vision problem you visit your oculist. A widow lady needing removal of an Omnimil would call the local ferrorectitian, or the ferrorectalist or most certainly a ferrorectologist. Anybody with me on this?

http://albums.phanfare.com/3707971/2598193#imageID=43639587

thread theme

I am on advisory panel for diesel technology program local jr college. A former dept head had minor rant complaning "we are not training techncians we train technologists". Never mind that in workplace graduates are called "wrenches". Beyond that, Wa State spends over 30 million yearly to trend and develop cirriculum for percieved fast growth employment categories. In 1994 what job category -at 17% annual growth-do you think the state educators were targeting for special funding? telemarketing- the subhumans who call at mealtime and when the hail mary pass is launched.
We have a problem in manufacturing with image- therefore the need for more ologists and the anticipated increase in educational funding. The comparrison to our medical counterparts, in this case working lower gi tract, is of course, inevitable.

In 1994 what job category -at 17% annual growth-do you think the state educators were targeting for special funding? telemarketing- the subhumans who call at mealtime and when the hail mary pass is launched.
Soooo what kind of an "ologist" would a telemarketer be??

I am following you now ;)

John what he is after is a more sophicticated sounding word for a person whom will come out and pick up someone's "unprepped heavy melting iron"
as referred to via th US feds....and known to the common man as "antique machinery!!!"

What you have to do is read his posts in reversed sequence, then it all clicks.
:cheers:

Still laughing...

I'm sorry, but it'll take me a few days to recover from this laugh-out...

I'm now hexed by the mere image of someone who's technical skill descriptor sounds too much like someone who pulls iron out'a someone else's arse...

If I remember correctly, Eddie Murphy recorded a song about just the opposite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNWEeLz125Q

FERROHEXIS and birth of MILL DRILL

Strictly speaking, ferrohexis means destruction of an iron based commodity-tool. In a greater sense, it should also imply rebirth, re utilization of components. The Sunstrand Omnimill teardown proceeds. We are able to put back into precision use the rotary table off the omnimill. Most of the remaining parts will likely become liquid iron. Lets take a closer look.

http://albums.phanfare.com/3707971/2801449#imageID=48640843
The sunstrand table has 22 in diameter. It weighs est 1500 lb. Load capacity is est 6000 lbs. Worm to gear ratio is 60:1. This means one rotation of worm will move table 6 degrees. On a large diameter table this is ok but would never do for smaller diameter table or indexer. A more desirable 2 to 4 degrees for precision is needed. Optical encoding is needed for today's precision needs. The re solver was removed and a 1000 pulse per rev encoder installed. This will provide 4000 counts per revolution of table. Many cnc indexers place encoder on worm, not on table centerline. Because this table has no thru hole, the encoder is on table center.
Now, if more accuracy is needed, A 630 mm Hofmann tilt-rotate table is available. Actually, I deminisioned the mill drill for the Hoffmann. Change over is about 30 minutes. Work piece capacity of the Hofmann is likely less than
1000 lbs. The Hofmann is capable of =/- 5 arc sec.
The Sunstrand table had a 5 hp dc motor. It was capable of absorbing the torque from a 30 hp spindle. It would criminal to dump this rotary in the melt hopper. There are some interesting features of this machine build and I will post more as the job is finished. For today, emphasis is on reuse of very tight, unmarked rotary.
jh

Have to second John's question.....

Hi,

While I find this pretty interesting and can appreciate your sense of humor, I too, am wondering how it relates to antique machinery? Please don't take offense, because I also want to see how you re-use components and perhaps in that context, John will allow it to stay. Not to ask a dumb question, but wasn't machine more useful intact? If indexing table was relatively unscathed, perhaps would have been an indication to rest of machines condition? Not being a machinist I realize there is a lot I don't know here, but I cringe at the demise of any machine, antique or otherwise. If machine had wear issues and or repair-ability problems, I can understand redistribution/allocation of usable components, but if it was a relatively functional machine, why scatter it to the winds to suffer the future fate of so many of our past machines whose misfortune has been the same.

Maybe Omnimil was a POS to start with and doesn't deserve such consideration, but not knowing I have to ask. Also I realize we're talking about 30k so it's no picnic to move, plus you need some kind of return on original investment, but.....

Regards,
Jim (just a fecalologist (plumber) :D, though I doubt that will warrant a pay raise)

Greetings Jim
Thanks for comments and interest. Posting in this category seemed to make sense since it is the end of the trail for most machines I will be discussing. An antique cnc machine is has a much newer build date than an antique manual machine. The Omnimill was a running unit when I bought it from US Navy. It was a dog the day it was built very operator unfriendly. The resale market never was good for Sunstrand machines. In addition, it consumed over 40 kilowatts of power when fully loaded. There are hundreds of machines each year which are scrapped. My interest is in recycling key components. Now, the machine I am building has a base and table from a Centrojet-Hansvedt edm unit, vertical column from jap Sanjo cnc grinder, and the rotary tables mentioned.The Bridgeport clone head is an Enco from Taiwan. All the machines were complete and functional when they came to my shop but all were parted out. There are more interesting twists to this build and as I wrap it up I will show the new creation. As a summary- new life from old components.
jh

Hi Les
Many thanks for image of Omnimil OM-1. This the precise machine I am parting with exception of 24 tool drum rather than 60 tool chain as your image. The two consoles were scrapped years ago. The ladder was given away but it helps to illustrate my use of term -dog.
This product line evolved into cnc. Initially an nc but with keyboard and memory of 8 to 12K I suppose it would qualify as cnc. Your image shows the operator with left hand on control console and head turned away from machine while viewing tube dieplay. This may be just about the poorest ergonomic layout. Touching off a tool would likely require a spotter shouting to an operator. No provision for pendant. My machine came with 48 inch high acrylic surrounding the table. During machining the ladder was likely needed since coolant would coat the enclosure. Looking at similar machines from europe in 70's, one finds a hanging pendant, usually height adjustable. It also will swing thru arc to allow right or left hand use. If a monitor is included it is on casters. Coolant and swarf collection is more user friendly. Ladders may be needed but they do not seem to show up in pics.
There is an interesting post script to this company's history- largely based on the machine tools sundstrand sold. Seems the US government felt ripped off and brought suit. In 1988 Sundstrand plead guiltly and paid $115 million fine. It was too late-the company had been black listed but in the commercial arena, the poor design and performance of their products sealed company fate.
some new manual images.

http://albums.phanfare.com/3707971/2598193#imageID=48997102

The ferrohexis mill-drill build is proceeding very slowly. Custom builds are slower than refits of existing machines. some high lites:

the sunstrand 22 inch table is mounted and works great with nema 42 superior stepper motor. This motor is 1100 oz in torque model but replaced 5 hp dc servo. Of course the current config is not linked to 30 hp spindle as in the sunstrand. I had 5 phase nippon stepper motor on the rotary and was stunned at how little torque it had. Back to the reliable slo-syn stepper.

the column is off a sajo cnc japanese grinder. extreemly robust and well made. the spindle arm requires only 12 to 16 ounces of torque applied to input shaft to raise or lower about 600 lbs. a nema 34 stepper with encoder powers the column.

the mill head is taiwan bp clone but very well made and tight as new. minimal time on this.

the cabinet contains vfd, stepper drive and pc board which has printer port connection to laptop pc. the pc is loaded with dro 5.4- a variation of steve lindsey's excellent free dro program. the rotary and column have dros.

the control is my evolving BiFi-EMC. I am running this on multiple machines and it is exceeding expectations. no computer and no software needed.

the machine base is from centrojet-hansvedt sinker edm machine. very well made minimal use unit. ball screws. easy stepper or servo motor add on if needed.

one nice feature is a fully functional surface grinder if the mill mounting bracket which I made is pulled off-about a 15 minute job. i suspect a build like this has been done before but I have not seen one. should have video soon.

http://albums.phanfare.com/3707971/2801449#imageID=59952736

Interesting on the Sundstrands. In the '60's they were serous NC machines. The OM4 Omnimill was an honest 5 axis machine. It was built as a horizontal with 90 degrees rotation on the head, and a full rotary table. Unfortunately, the head trunion was weak, and could barely take a cut as a rotary axis. It was acceptable as a positioning axis I was told. One unique feature was a second set of tool grippers that could tool change tools with a 6" face mount. The tool was centered with the 2" shank, and retained against the face of the spindle with the pull stud.

I have ran Sundstrand vertical Jigmatic and horizontal OM2 mills that were refitted with Sundstrand CNC controls. Unfortunately they still had the slow tool changers and 2" shank tools held in a collet.

Another old American name that has faded into history.

ferrohexis redux------------2018

hard to believe 10 years have passed since christining the ferrohexis thread

and to commerate---------- today witnessed final parting of the Modig 6 axis spar mill

comment here is value of replaceable box ways which I harvest from every machine so equiped for use as precision spacers/risers

machine frame scaled 2700 lbs and went to remelt

dual rotary tables are mounted on two ball screw driven x and x' platforms with 8 inch pass thru capacity

soon to be ebay listed

Attachments

• 100_1867.jpg
    100_1867.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 100_1868.jpg
    100_1868.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_1873.jpg
    100_1873.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 161
  • 100_1875.jpg
    100_1875.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 164
  • 100_1878.jpg
    100_1878.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 167
pics 2018------------------------

Attachments

• 100_1880.jpg
    100_1880.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 100_1882.jpg
    100_1882.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 122
  • 100_1883.jpg
    100_1883.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 127
  • 100_1874.jpg
    100_1874.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 118
  • 100_1870.jpg
    100_1870.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 112
Remelt is a nicer word than scrap.....I must be a remelt enabler......but I do expect to be offered a position in the Development of Sustainable Strategies Department...they have a huge taxpayer funded budget....and a job for wet days when the yard is all muddy would be nice.

For 10 years the boat has been missed on ferrohexis.

Obviously a unfilled need exists for certified ferrohexis experts since we live in a society where industry and government constantly Rely on Experts.
We have experts who get paid quite well to determine historical significance of everything from a trellis to a building, to say nothing of those who sit watching college students wander fields seeking Indian artifacts, why not Credentialed ferrohexis experts.

Before any machine can be recycled into remelt a ferrohexis expert must sign off after being paid.
This program could save much valuable machhinery from the terror of crushing and provide needed parts, to say nothing of providing beer money.

All we need is fancy paperwork with a seal on it. Maybe throw in some of that genuine Latin Lingo like real Diplomas nobody can read have. American University of Ferrohexis Technology has a nice ring to it. Ferrohexologist is an excellent job title.
I'd declare myself a Certified Ferrohexologist based on my "Damn old crap" alone which I insisted the wife call "Junque" when speaking of the inventory of components for unknown future projects. The Credential would look good with the Merrit Badge I was just recently presented.

For 10 years the boat has been missed on ferrohexis.

Obviously a unfilled need exists for certified ferrohexis experts since we live in a society where industry and government constantly Rely on Experts.
We have experts who get paid quite well to determine historical significance of everything from a trellis to a building, to say nothing of those who sit watching college students wander fields seeking Indian artifacts, why not Credentialed ferrohexis experts.

Before any machine can be recycled into remelt a ferrohexis expert must sign off after being paid.
This program could save much valuable machhinery from the terror of crushing and provide needed parts, to say nothing of providing beer money.

All we need is fancy paperwork with a seal on it. Maybe throw in some of that genuine Latin Lingo like real Diplomas nobody can read have. American University of Ferrohexis Technology has a nice ring to it. Ferrohexologist is an excellent job title.
I'd declare myself a Certified Ferrohexologist based on my "Damn old crap" alone which I insisted the wife call "Junque" when speaking of the inventory of components for unknown future projects. The Credential would look good with the Merrit Badge I was just recently presented.

A name is just a name! Nowadays "The trendies" will latch on to some of these got up modern names, Over here I do not know whether to laugh or cry when I see the goofballs who do the talk overs in historical machinery programmes on television, give things another decade and some of the crap names given to craftsmen whome these guys photograph will be taken as gospel , In fact carved in tablets of stone , Because people who would not know the blunt end of the manufacturing world from the sharp end of the mechanical culture , must be right , A couple of instances spring to mind, Nowadays I am no longer a Brassmoulder,I have found I am a Brasscaster, Who the hell makes the Moulds for the brass, Devine intervention? And as for my poor old Great grandfather, Whome sadly I never met, the years between our life span took care of that, He is nowadays called a Boilersmith, Not a Boilermaker, Beam me up Scotty, I have seen and heard enough.

Back