Finally found me an 18 speed 16X54 Hendey
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yadkinville, NC
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Finally found me an 18 speed 16X54 Hendey

    Well after missing out on 3 machines earlier this spring my patience was rewarded with this beauty. I've been after one of these 18 speed gear heads for several years now but was holding out for an exceptionally nice one. Dispatched from the Hendey works on May 20th 1953 this lathe was purchased by the USAF and sent down south to Robins AFB in Georgia. It has seen very little use over the past 68yrs but during that time managed to migrate up the coast to the West Point metal shop under Spellman Hall. I picked it up there right after Memorial Day, the weather was cool and dry for the entire 1300 mile round trip. Loading went smoothly with the onsite rigging company having built a substantial skid for the lathe.

    195478566_1224428964680740_1602598710092409341_n.jpg

    12hrs later I arrived back home in central NC. The ride was uneventful and the lathe remained firmly in place despite the horrendous road conditions. Next morning I fired up the ole John Deere 500C backhoe that my dad bought second hand in 1986 for his construction business. With over 30000hrs on it it's getting tired and I wasn't 100% certain that it would lift this nearly 6000lb Hendey. After some thoughtful rigging all doubts were disproved when the lathe was lifted off first try - nothing truly runs like a Deere!

    195265240_1225162137940756_8839804391121650635_n.jpg

    After careful maneuvering in some tight quarters I had the Hendey moved into its new home.

    195321618_1225162077940762_8423418019170572187_n.jpg

    It so happens that I finally got the Hendey Tool & Gage lathe purcahsed last summer operational. It's first job was to make some leveling feet for its big brother. After being carefully lowered onto the new feet I spent several hours with many rags and a gallon of mineral spirits cleaning off years of oil, dirt and shavings. The lathe has been repainted twice in the past, each time being pretty well done. The original color was a dark green, then a light gray and lastly dark machinery gray. I will probably strip and repaint it at some point down the road but for now I think it cleaned up pretty nice.

    196232850_1227741907682779_4283947282808698256_n.jpg

    Overall the lathe is in nearly new condition. The ways look brand new, very little backlash in the screws and tailstock. Compound isn't all chewed up and nothing has been broken. Only damage noted is the knob on tailstock handle is bent slightly, an easy fix.

    I do wish to find a couple things for this lathe. First off it was ordered with the low speed option vs the 1000rpm high speed option. I'd like to find a motor pulley and correct speed plate for it to convert up to the high speed option.

    Next, the lathe was ordered with forward rotation only. I'm after the push button plate that features 3 buttons for Forward, Stop and Reverse. Am also going to need a reversing motor starter, 220V 3 phase for 7 1/2hp motor. Prefer a Westinghouse Life Line unit as the motor and other electrics are Westinghouse but really anything would work.

    Lastly it would be nice to have the little quick withdraw handle for the cross slide.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, TX
    Posts
    416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    369
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    Very nice. I have it’s longer and much worse cared for brother. That machine looks great. Do you have the taper attachment and the steady rest?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    32,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    They all have lead screw reverse - does this allow reversing of spindle?

    Manual if you need it

    http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/...dey-Op-Man.pdf

    have fun

  4. Likes rpseguin, DrHook liked this post
  5. #4
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yadkinville, NC
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSelle View Post
    Do you have the taper attachment and the steady rest?
    Yes sir I have the complete taper attachment along with the steady rest.



    Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    They all have lead screw reverse - does this allow reversing of spindle?
    Spindle direction is controlled by the motor. My current push button station has a button for stop and forward plus an indicator light. A third button paired with a reversing starter would give me spindle reverse, handy to have in some instances. It was an option, just that this particular lathe was not ordered with it.

    20yrs ago I was given this original FIFTH EDITION Hendey manual.
    manual-5th-edition.jpg

  6. Likes DrHook liked this post
  7. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Posts
    273
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    35
    Likes (Received)
    80

    Default

    You didnít say . Does it happen to have hard ways . Nice find regardless

  8. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    32,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Here is my old write up on their lead screw reverse / threading system

    Starts at Post #17

    Hendey lathe "emergency"!

    have fun

  9. Likes rpseguin, DrHook liked this post
  10. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    107
    Likes (Received)
    184

    Default

    A Hendey in newish condition, wow. Nice score!

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Posts
    190
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    123
    Likes (Received)
    33

    Default

    She looks good!

  12. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1228
    Likes (Received)
    196

    Default

    That lathe looks very nice!!
    Congratulations!!
    Thatís about the size Iím looking for too!
    I might have to add Hendey to my list!
    What is the spindle thru hole size?
    Max spindle speed?


    Quote Originally Posted by Peroni View Post
    Well after missing out on 3 machines earlier this spring my patience was rewarded with this beauty. I've been after one of these 18 speed gear heads for several years now but was holding out for an exceptionally nice one. Dispatched from the Hendey works on May 20th 1953 this lathe was purchased by the USAF and sent down south to Robins AFB in Georgia. It has seen very little use over the past 68yrs but during that time managed to migrate up the coast to the West Point metal shop under Spellman Hall. I picked it up there right after Memorial Day, the weather was cool and dry for the entire 1300 mile round trip. Loading went smoothly with the onsite rigging company having built a substantial skid for the lathe.

    195478566_1224428964680740_1602598710092409341_n.jpg

    12hrs later I arrived back home in central NC. The ride was uneventful and the lathe remained firmly in place despite the horrendous road conditions. Next morning I fired up the ole John Deere 500C backhoe that my dad bought second hand in 1986 for his construction business. With over 30000hrs on it it's getting tired and I wasn't 100% certain that it would lift this nearly 6000lb Hendey. After some thoughtful rigging all doubts were disproved when the lathe was lifted off first try - nothing truly runs like a Deere!

    195265240_1225162137940756_8839804391121650635_n.jpg

    After careful maneuvering in some tight quarters I had the Hendey moved into its new home.

    195321618_1225162077940762_8423418019170572187_n.jpg

    It so happens that I finally got the Hendey Tool & Gage lathe purcahsed last summer operational. It's first job was to make some leveling feet for its big brother. After being carefully lowered onto the new feet I spent several hours with many rags and a gallon of mineral spirits cleaning off years of oil, dirt and shavings. The lathe has been repainted twice in the past, each time being pretty well done. The original color was a dark green, then a light gray and lastly dark machinery gray. I will probably strip and repaint it at some point down the road but for now I think it cleaned up pretty nice.

    196232850_1227741907682779_4283947282808698256_n.jpg

    Overall the lathe is in nearly new condition. The ways look brand new, very little backlash in the screws and tailstock. Compound isn't all chewed up and nothing has been broken. Only damage noted is the knob on tailstock handle is bent slightly, an easy fix.

    I do wish to find a couple things for this lathe. First off it was ordered with the low speed option vs the 1000rpm high speed option. I'd like to find a motor pulley and correct speed plate for it to convert up to the high speed option.

    Next, the lathe was ordered with forward rotation only. I'm after the push button plate that features 3 buttons for Forward, Stop and Reverse. Am also going to need a reversing motor starter, 220V 3 phase for 7 1/2hp motor. Prefer a Westinghouse Life Line unit as the motor and other electrics are Westinghouse but really anything would work.

    Lastly it would be nice to have the little quick withdraw handle for the cross slide.

  13. #10
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Minnesota
    Posts
    575
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    235
    Likes (Received)
    244

    Default

    Beautiful machine.

  14. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    32,452
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmarquette View Post
    You didn’t say . Does it happen to have hard ways . Nice find regardless

    Has an "H" in serial if it does

  15. Likes DrHook liked this post
  16. #12
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yadkinville, NC
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mmarquette View Post
    You didn’t say . Does it happen to have hard ways . Nice find regardless
    Yes it does have hard ways, they look brand new! Starting in 1947 Hendey introduced hardened and ground beds on their lathes. I had a 1947 #2 General Purpose lathe that was H91, this 1953 lathe is H1554.

  17. Likes DrHook liked this post
  18. #13
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    southern in.
    Posts
    1,674
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    2185
    Likes (Received)
    439

    Default

    Wow, what a find. Did you also buy a lottery ticket? Your lucky day. Congratulations.

    JH

  19. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Posts
    1,238
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1228
    Likes (Received)
    196

    Default

    What is the spindle bore/thru hole size?
    Max RPM?

    Beautiful lathe!

  20. #15
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yadkinville, NC
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rpseguin View Post
    What is the spindle bore/thru hole size?
    Max RPM?
    1.550 thru the spindle - fairly typical of the era in American lathes.

    Top end is 652 or 1000 depending on how the lathe was ordered. Mine is 652 but I have a pulley on the way to make it 1000.

    I have heard of some 12 speed lathes with two speed motors and ball bearing spindles from the factory with a top end of 1500 to 2000.

    A Hendey should be #2 on your list right under a Pacemaker with "tool room" package. #3 ought to be a Pratt & Whitney C.

  21. Likes rpseguin liked this post
  22. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yadkinville, NC
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    The 7 1/2hp Westinghouse Life Line CSP 3 phase motor all cleaned up and ready to go back in. I'm very glad I decided to check it out before putting power to it. The bearing grease had completely dried out to the consistency of brittle yellow candle wax! Otherwise they looked great so I removed the snap rings and shields, thoroughly cleaned and repacked them with Mobil Polyrex EM grease.
    westinghouse-motor.jpg

    Moving forward with cleaning up the gearing, all the gears are in great shape with no chips stuck in the teeth or otherwise damaged. I have run into a broken piece that is not shown in my parts book or any photos I can find online. There is a V notch in this connecting bar that operates the clutch/brake. To the left is a small L bracket with appears to be a broken off flat spring? I assume the spring was to put pressure on the link so that the brake wouldn't drag. Could someone pop their end door open and take a phot of this spring so I can make a new one? I'd hate to bother Hendeyman with looking up a drawing such a trivial little part.
    clutch-rod.jpg

  23. Likes dundeeshopnut, HendeySwede liked this post
  24. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, TX
    Posts
    416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    369
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    Can you zoom out on that thing? I opened my door but it’s pretty dark and greasy in there. I’m not exactly sure where that is

  25. #18
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Country
    SWEDEN
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    271
    Likes (Received)
    91

    Default

    Peroni,

    Now that looks like a very nice 16" Hendey you got there. Congratulations! Wish I had that one instead of my own rather worn 14".
    As to the clutch/brake linkage, I have always thought that the counterweight on the backside would prevent the brake from "dragging".
    My 1937 does not have the notch in the crosslink or any bracket for a leafspring. Looks like this:

    dsc00512.jpg

    I'm also missing the quick withdrawal handle. Quite easy to make but would be nice to have the original.

    Lars

  26. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Yadkinville, NC
    Posts
    207
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DeSelle View Post
    Can you zoom out on that thing? I opened my door but itís pretty dark and greasy in there. Iím not exactly sure where that is
    Here it is, the link runs along the bottom behind end of the bed casting. It connects the shaft with operator levers to the clutch actuating linkage. Might be a feature only on late machines? It was certainly notched like that from the factory and the little spring bracket also looks like it has always been there.

    change-gears.jpg

    Lars I have the counterweight moved out as far as it can go. While it helps balancing the lever's action it does not hold the mechanism off the brake on its own. Maybe because all my linkage is still new and tight? Oh and I think a worn Hendey is better than no Hendey at all!

  27. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, TX
    Posts
    416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    369
    Likes (Received)
    142

    Default

    Mine doesnít have the notch or the spring clip either. Donít judge me on the condition of themachine. It was free and is really worn out but it does what I want for now

    8ca97c0b-af62-4f97-ba87-4b37915a89a0.jpg


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •