What's new
What's new

Finally got to the Hendey. Serial # 12888

woodsrider845

Hot Rolled
I've had this lathe for around 8 years, tucked in a corner. Finally getting her sorted. The last two digits in the serial number are extremely faint, but, pretty sure they're 8's.

....more to follow

IMG_20191115_134346_hdr[1].jpg

There she is, in all her rustoleum painted glory. The morons even painted the ways, and the tool that was in the tool holder.:skep:

So, on to the broke stuff.
IMG_20191115_134508_hdr[1].jpg

I believe this would be considered the "c" gear in the manual? Maybe. I guess I would consider it an idler gear, driven by the gear on the spindle, transferring to the gear box. Any input is appreciated, seeing as she has no power feed at all without this.

woodsrider845:

Hendey lathe No. 12888, a 12 x 5, Cone Head model, was completed during the last week of August 1911. It was shipped with an Oil Pan and
a Taper Attachment. The original owner was the Grove Machine and Tool Company, Chicago, Illinois. At a later date, it was owned by Donahue Steel Company, Chicago, Illinois. There are no longer any Patterns, Castings or Repair Parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still in the files, so parts can be made if required.

The part you posted a picture of is the Intermediate Gear and Bushing. It connects the Spindle Gear to the Sleeve Gear and the rest of the gear train. If you will look at page 4 of the 1918 Operator's Hand Book, in the lower left hand corner of the picture, your will
see a gear sticking out of the Headstock. This is the "D" or Stud Gear mentioned on page 18. The "C" Gear or Sector Gear is directly
below it and forms part of the compound gear train. To the right of the Stud Gear and separated by a spacer, is the Sleeve Gear that
meshes with the Intermediate and supplies power to the Bevel Gears and the Single Tooth Dog Clutch that is controlled by the Apron reverse Handle. The intermediate Gear provides a means to disconnect the Gear box and Apron Feeds from the Spindle when power feed
is not required. The Intermediate Gear stays in mesh with the Spindle Gear and the Sleeve Gear because of the direction of rotation
and a very slight taper on the Intermediate Gear Stud. No detent is required to hold the gear in engagement or disengagement.

I just returned from the blueprint company where I made a copy of the 1903 drawing of this part for a customer. The drawing was discarded
in 1913, during redesign work on the Intermediate Gear for the prototype lathe featuring the new Double Walled Apron. The customer has
a 1911, 12 inch Cone Head, that is missing the Intermediate Gear, so next week I will be making a Gear, Bushing, Washer and Screw for
him.

Hendeyman

Thank you hendeyman! Appreciate the info. I think, without my asking, you just answered a few questions I had. I'll check in the morning to see if I interpreted what you said correctly.. Thanks again!

If you will look at page 4 of the 1918 Operator's Hand Book, in the lower left hand corner of the picture, your will
see a gear sticking out of the Headstock.

And that page

Lots more Hendey info here - though the pair of links for the SB book are broken now

See Post #8

new hendy lathe

ph

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 55

Back