What's new
What's new

Finding a new home for Jeff's machines and tools

Paolo_MD

Stainless
Unfortunately, at the end of February, Jeff Greenblatt (Jeff_G) lost his battle with cancer.

I am helping the family to dispose of his treasures. His desire was for his tools and machines to be restored and used. Some are completely functional, other are projects at various stages of completion.

They will be posted here first. Then, if there is not enough interest, we will post them on other sites.
As agreed with Jeff, if additional tooling is available for a machine, it will be sold after the machine, giving first the machine’s buyer the option of acquiring it.
Except for one, all the machines are located in a garage, near Ellicott City, MD and there is some gear to help with the loading.

Unfortunately, I am away during the week. Therefore, pickups need to be arranged during weekends.

I will update this thread with the links to the threads for each individual tool/machine.

Paolo

Paulo - I am sorry to hear about Jeff. He gave me and my son-in-law a great tour at the museum about four years ago. Very nice guy. Thank you for helping his family. It will surely mean a lot to them. It's a great way to keep people first while furthering the preservation of these bits of our heritage. Many of us will leave piles of iron for our spouses to deal with and hopefully they will also be comforted by those in our iron network who help out.
Eric

Paolo,
It may seem odd to be a bit envious of someone who has passed away, but I am just building my shop as I retire and when I pass I will not have had as many years with my machines as he apparently had. Observing his beautiful restoration of the South Bend I guess he enjoyed many years with his machines.
I live far from MD, so if I make a road trip to purchase his treasures it must be a single trip, with all treasures transported in a single truck and trailer. Can you let us know what other treasures will be available? And thank you for supporting Jeff's family in finding good homes for his treasures.
Greg

Just a thought reading the above post. Would seem kind of nice if at least part or most of the man's lifetime work stayed together in one collection?

I’ve thought about that a bit, having recently bought a lathe and some other machines from an estate. In a way, I can understand the sentiment, but l feel like a person’s work has a wider influence if the machines spread among a larger collection of enthusiasts. For sure though, having the ability to choose among the collection can provide a strong incentive to certain buyers. The tools in this collection are pretty neat.

Condolences. We all die of cancer if we live long enough, I’m working on heart disease around 45 myself, can only wish I get the time he had with my machines.

He’s off to a place where the HSS never dulls, the coolant never needs changed and the electricity is uninterrupted and free. Godspeed.

The other machines for sale are:
12" "High Speed" toolroom Hendey shaper needing very little to be fully functional (needs pawl spring for downfeed), under power (220V 3 ph)

21" Royersford "Excelsior" upright (camelback) drill press fully functional, under power (220V, single phase)

14" Hendey Tiebar restoration project, with 2 steady rests and a good dote of tooling

LeBlond conehead lathe (~15-17 in swing) partially disassembled

Oliver die filer with overarm and a few files

Hopefully, by the end of this weekend I will have all these and, possibly something else posted. Please, bare with me: being away during the week, there's awful a lot to take during the weekends and the grass is growing like crazy.

Paolo

[h=3][/h]

I would love to have the Camelback. I live less than 3 hours away, so the trip would be worth it. I could probably use other things in his collection.
I am nearing retirement and hope I have enough good years to build a decent collection of functioning old machines.

Paolo,

Sometimes the survivors need the money and the machines should go to the highest bidder, and sometimes they are financially comfortable and are more interested in preserving a legacy. And in the preservation of that legacy they might prefer to keep the machines together, or might prefer that they be distributed as far as possible. I am certain the the members of the forum will be glad to honor their preferences. Just let us know...

Paolo, my condolences to Jeff's family and friends. I only met Jeff the one time when you all got the Worcester lathe out of Mr. Tuwiner's basement for me. I feel very fortunate to have seen, and bought that lathe on eBay. I appreciate all the help that was generously given to load the lathe and tooling that went with it. When Jeff realized that the binder containing the history and letter from Ken Cope was left at Tuckahoe he asked for my address and sent the binder to me. The information and old advertisements for the lathe are a treasure on their own; and give more meaning to the lathe's place in history. I copied most of it and sent the info to Tony at lathes.uk to hopefully share and preserve the information longer. Please give Jeff's family my regards and that our brief meeting left quite an impression on me.
Tom

Back