What's new
What's new

First post/Lathe identification help

stokes

Plastic
Hello all,

I’ve gleaned much useful information here on the site over the last couple of years, and now I’ve finally decided to post. A little history on me, I’m a professional firefighter by day, and on the weekends I like to restore vintage machinery. Usually, the machines are fairly easy to identify and date, but this time I’ve run into a challenge.

I purchased a 14” metal lathe from a machinist at a museum a few weeks back. It was in a storage container partially disassembled, but most parts appear to be there. The machinist felt it was a LeBlond, but after emailing a rep, it doesn’t seem likely. There’s no badging or serial number, but a few castings on the inside or the apron and some other parts.

Can anyone help me identify the manufacturer for this machine? I’ve emailed Tony at lathe.co, and while he confirmed my estimate on age (1890-1914), he was unable to ID manufacturer.

Thanks in advance for any help.

F7E96722-2AF6-4194-9138-371C9D3343C8.jpg766B7D0C-7BA9-4A2C-B314-4DFF5CE5F38C.jpg30C8D322-4874-46B2-AF01-91496320211F.jpg7F9DBE87-8B88-4CBC-8F18-9AD8B3AED6E6.jpg71A498B8-F38C-46B6-8EEF-E11CCAD7EDBC.jpg

Last edited:
P.S. I can’t seem to figure out how to post pictures.

Go Advanced,
Scroll down to Manage Attachments
Follow thru on uploading jpg as thumbnail

All I ever use, but desktop only here

Example - note good size when you click on it

Attachments

• ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    ATW Triple BG 1915.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 62
We'll need bigger pictures of the complete, assembled lathe. But, before anyone else chimes in, it is NOT a south bend.

allan

ps- did you make an offer for the corvair too? :)

I've seen that partially-enclosed headstock in the past, but I can't bring to mind who did it that way. I believe it was one if the more minor Cincinnati builders. The legs have a Cincinnati-built look about them as well.

Andy

Thanks, I'll try to figure out how to post bigger pictures. And yes, I tried my darndest To pick up that Corvair. I tried convincing him that since it was green, that it likely was part of the lathe assembly. He didn't buy it for a second. :rolleyes5:

Thanks guys, I certainly see some similarities there with both manufacturers. I'll do some more searching and see what I can dig up.

Back