What's new
What's new

First Post in a Long Time - I got the Steam Locomotive Running!

Rick Rowlands

Titanium
I haven't posted here in a long while, but I did want to stop by and let everyone know that the 24" gauge Porter 0-4-0T that we acquired in 2014 is now complete, fully operational and operates one weekend a month at the Youngstown Steel Heritage Museum.

Now that the locomotive is finished we will be working on adding more track so that we can operate more than about 600 feet, as well as possibly adding onto the Tod Engine building to add a narrow gauge backshop.

Things are really going "full steam ahead" in Youngstown!

60245201_2163458640386195_295087076691410944_n.jpg2019-05-24 17.52.22-1 small.jpgIMG_5784.jpg

Thanks for posting an update, I always enjoy the things you post. Congrats on getting the locomotive finished! :cheers:
What is the plan for the rusty one in your last pic? Or is that the #58 without covers?

Rick that's fantastic! Truly a labor of love!
Its amazing for a relatively simple machine how difficult a
steam locomotive restoration can be. When one comes back to life
its always a wonderful event!

Congratulations and thank you!

Best regards,

Terry

Good news, Rick. I have some T-shirts around here somewhere that were supposed to be a ticket to ride that train. I guess I need to find them and schedule a visit.

Larry

Good to hear from you Rick, more than once ''I asked myself if you were okay'' sort of thing, the loco looks great, and as they say in my adopted home ;- Keep you a troshin bor.

Take care.

Have no idea if related, but here is a Tod Blowing engine from J.E. Johnson's 1917 Blast Furnace book.

Do notice gent lower right
The LP side on that engine is very similar if not identical to that on that on the preserved Tod engine, however the LP cylinder is completely different as the preserved one uses a different type of valve gear the name of which I forget. An interesting illustration though, the first I've seen of a Tod blowing engine after seeing many a Mesta.

Back