What's new
What's new

Flynn FH-15 Boring and Facing head questions......operation.

dkmc

Diamond
I'm cross posting this here as maybe some of the Boring Mill folks on this forum can speak to this.

I'm looking for information on the operation of these units, and/or possibly an operation-owners manual?

I googled to no avail, there seems to be nothing out on the web about these units. The phone number for Flynn Tool is disconnected, and their web page says they hope to have their new site up in 2017.
SO......

What I know....
There is a plunger down inside the allen key hex for the slide adjustment. You have to push the key into the hex to unlock the screw and turn it. There are radial holes around the knurled ring. One is just a smooth hole probably for a spanner. The other 4 have slotted screws at the bottom.
Pushing in on the lock pin and turning the knurled ring, the slide screw 'sorta' turns a bit. I hear gear teeth that sound like they aren't quite engaged.

Hoping someone on here has some experience with these.
Questions: Does the shank thread onto the head? How is the facing feed 'engaged"?
I plan to take it apart to clean and lube, but it looks like the shank has to come off first.

IMG_20191013_183541.jpgIMG_20191013_183450.jpg

To do a facing cut, rotate the shank while holding the big knurled ring stationary. The set screws in the ring may trip a geneva mechanism or something to affect the amount of feed for each revolution of the shank. Try backing out the set screws one at a time to see what it does to the feed. Beyond that, I will not take any guesses.

Larry

..turning the knurled ring, the slide screw 'sorta' turns a bit. I hear gear teeth that sound like they aren't quite engaged.
Be aware there are two tribes of advance mechanism common.

One is "stepless", or continuous feed, and also reversible. Chandler-Duplex, Tree, and another long-gone out of Philadelphia, PA, sat close to the top of that food-chain, Wallbanger, too, still-yet, today.

The other is stepped or impulse, one increment per go, size of each increment pre-set to suit the need. Not as easily reversible, at least not when in the cut. Damage can happen.

"Seems like" you either have the step-function type? Or a damaged rack, not necessarily pinion? See also Gamet for-sure, Narex, maybe.

Search "right here on PM", as it isn't new info by easily ten years and more.

Adjust your expectations accordingly as to what "should happen".

Chances are, it is usable as-had. Or not worth the bother to try to fix.

That's how obsolete or "orphaned" boring heads end their lives, even your own willing labour having to come out of a finite budget to do something ELSE more immediately useful.

If you NEED a better boring head than brand-new El Cheapo Taiwanese?

The "classical" Criterions and Wohlhaupters can still be had, and not-only:

Allied - Boring

Back