What's new
What's new

[FONT=Arial Black]Old Machine Vise[/FONT]

CWC(4)

Cast Iron
Trying to get an idea as to the maker of this vintage vise. Has anyone seen one like it before, or know what the original purpose was? It looks pretty old
It would seem to me that by the design, it was intended for or was part of a machine.
It also appears a bit narrow for its length, measuring 2" x 9 3/4". Mounting holes in the casting are about 8 5/16" center to center. The screw is 11/16 - 6 square thread with max jaw(s) opening to 1 1/2", The movable jaw pivots about 20 deg. from parallel in each direction and the oddly positioned jaw inserts are hardened.
Thanks for any help.
old vise 001.jpgold vise 002.jpgold vise 003.jpgold vise 004.jpgold vise 005.jpg

I have a similar vice that came with an early machine in which we have not been able to positively identify what it is... I will get a picture of my vice and then try and post a link to thread I started showing the machine.

Thanks Larry,
I went into "edit" and I didn't see any way to do that.
Maybe once there are replies, that can no longer be done.
CWC(4)

Go "advanced" in the editor. ISTR you have a time-out, though. Then the (alleged) database has cycled.

And cease messing with fonts, colours - or even the html editor at all - in favour of plain text, monochrome. Takes less storage, crosses the wire faster and more cheaply.

PM's "engine" already does the right thing as to format for readability. Mostly, anyway.

Sorry, been away from home and computer for while until a couple of days ago but thanks for the replies.
Hit Miss, I would be interested in pictures if you get chance.
CWC(4)

Back