What's new
What's new

Fosdick Drill Press Belt Replacement

Kurtisboyd

Plastic
I have a Fosdick drill press that I believe still has the original belts. Can anyone tell me if replacement belts are available or if any modifications can be made to run newer style belts.
Thanks,
Kurt37ADF97E-CA23-46C1-9632-69DE1F22BEF3.jpg
2750304F-4D5C-4658-9407-93717797416E.jpg
8312F88A-8ED5-4C1A-A1CE-70DC67E85662.jpg

Not original.

Take one off and bring to auto parts store. Hope they can figure out from the link belt.

Yes, had that idea. Just wondered what other guys have done. Why do you think they’re not original? There’s no belt tensioner so I assume they must go on ptretty tight?

if any modifications can be made to run newer style belts.

You probably do not need "newer style".

If you are fortunate, there are standard "A" section Vee belt pulleys hiding under that tribe of escapees from a hippie doormat weaving commune.

Great news if so, is that "A" section belts, any given size, are MADE to match with no need of picking and choosing out of a big pile of belts. Still works best, same maker, bought at the same time, of course.

PS: I detest "classical Vee blts. Long habit of designing in toothed Gilmer's even when I didn't need their synchronization. PolyVee and MicroVee finally got their act together after a dodgy start lo these many years ago, I prefer those now.

I make an exception for "A" section. Those are about as good as classical Vee ever got, partly because they are the easiest to just keep adding more rows to when more power must be conveyed.

Nothing much to gain from changing to anything else on this machine.

Those link belts cost too much. No machine builder would use them. Plus that machine is no newer then the 60s I am sure. So original belts would have rotted long ago.

Bad enough to try to keep one of those silly segmented things properly tensioned when run alone on a 1/3 HP toy Lathe Shaped Object. Trying to keep four in agreement when driven by a full HP or more is silly.

Four "A" section should run quiet, last 20 odd years in this application.

Fosdick was far from an ordinary drill and did in fact use link belts. Speed changes were made with a full gearbox where others relied on belt changes or vari-speed drives.

Fosdick was far from an ordinary drill and did in fact use link belts. Speed changes were made with a full gearbox where others relied on belt changes or vari-speed drives.

And they are still being sold under the new owners name? I don't recall if the company and that design were sold once. Or twice?

With a convenient layout, Fosdick had been on my initial "shortlist" for a time. Before Milacron's touting of Alzmetall drove the research that spoiled me, anyway!

:)

If I'd have seen those linked belts, they'd not have been considered to begin with.

Factory choice or no, they are a "suboptimal" design choice for the power, RPM, and space available.

For what its worth my Fosdick has the same segmented belts, as the O.P. stated they have no means of belt tensioning so I think they counted on the belts ability to stretch a bit to install the belts.

Mike

I thought the Fosdick didn't allow adjustment but I wasn't sure. the OP won't want PowerTwist or Accu-Link because he'll never get it linked. Search for Brammer, SuperTLink or NutLink belting which are very similar to what is on there now.

I may regret asking this...
But what is better?
An "A" belt or a 4L belt?
I think I remember that an
"A" belt is a fabric wrapped belt
and that a "L" belt is a cut (off
the mandrel) belt.
Which is better? Or what is the
criteria for selecting one or the
other ? Just trying to learn.

---Doozer

I may regret asking this...
But what is better?
An "A" belt or a 4L belt?
I think I remember that an
"A" belt is a fabric wrapped belt
and that a "L" belt is a cut (off
the mandrel) belt.
Which is better? Or what is the
criteria for selecting one or the
other ? Just trying to learn.

---Doozer

While the profile of the "A" and the "4L" are the same the A is a superior belt with a higher HP rating. The lengths are also measured differently (inside vs outside). Example a A30 is the same size as a 4L320 which has outside diameter of 32 inches. The 4L is considered a fractional horse power (FHP) belt. The A would substitute for a 4L but not the other way around. At one time I had good reference on belts but I can't find it at the moment.

Gates is one manufacturer of a wide range of belts that I am familiar with more than most since a local industrial supply store carries them here.
Their website has a lot of info on it that used to be in their printed catalogues at one time .
V-Belts
Jim

We have the same drill press in our shop and re-belted it 7-8 years back. I don't remember if we used 4L or A series belts, but it was just a simple 'walk one off, walk one on' change over. It's held up fine and has been the best DP we've had in the shop. I like the shifter mechanism they used.

Back