What's new
What's new

Franklin Crane and Hoist Co. portable hoist

rustyironism

Cast Iron
Just picked up some stuff destined for the scrap yard and will post some pictures and questions on some of it in a while.
But, for now, does anyone have, or have knowledge of, the Franklin Portable Crane & Hoist Co., Franklin, Pa.?
I have this ad from 1915 and it is pretty informative.
franklin crane 1.jpg

The legs are broken and re-enforced with steel welded in. The left side weld is broken, with a scabbed on piece on top.
Guess they loaded more than 2 tons!
My brother noted that the straps running along the back are why the uprights didn't break first.
The guards are shop made, but, a nice job.

If anyone has one like it, can you send a picture of the front nose piece? The one in place is a weldment.
A picture of the handle would help me to reproduce one.

Its a neat item that will find some use here, but, a simple modern hydraulc cherry picker puts it to shame in efficiency!

Mikeright side.jpgname.jpg3A.jpgwinch.jpg

Your not going to get away with posting photos of this hoist without posting a photo of the blue arbor press in the background....:) Nice looking hoist, I am afraid I have no information about it for you.

Charles

I have a nearly identical crane (possibly actually identical- maybe one built for the other) by D. Round & Son of Cleveland. Mine has a crack in one of the uprights, despite the steel reinforcing band. Thought I had some photos of it, but can't locate them at the moment. I can take a photo of the nose casting on mine for you- even though it's not the same manufacturer, it might be helpful.

Andy

Andy, that would be great!
Please, A photo of the handle, too, if you have one.
I will make patterns of those parts and have them cast in ductile iron.

Charles, last year that building was a rotten 100 year old barn. The bank won't lend me any more money, so the project is winding down and won't be long before it is a trip and fall hazard area. Then I will able to get my car in the garage again!

Mike

Andy, that would be great!
Please, A photo of the handle, too, if you have one.
I will make patterns of those parts and have them cast in ductile iron.

Charles, last year that building was a rotten 100 year old barn. The bank won't lend me any more money, so the project is winding down and won't be long before it is a trip and fall hazard area. Then I will able to get my car in the garage again!

Mike

So the light was from all the missing boards....:D

Charles

Rustyironism:

You wrote: "The legs are broken and re-enforced with steel welded in. The left side weld is broken, with a scabbed on piece on top."

and then you wrote: "Its a neat item that will find some use here,"

With all due respect, how can you ever trust this lifting device? Would you want the jib [?davit?] to fall on your foot? I'm sure that the only lifts you are contemplating are loads just a little too heavy to lift by hand, but far short of the original rating. Still......it's untrustworthy and might give way without warning.

Do you really have that much confidence in the welds and other repairs?

Is the broken/welded base a casting?

I'd demote this one to a yard ornament. I mean that sincerely. I don't want to see you or anyone else get hurt by a questionable lifting device.

John Ruth

Thanks for your concerns, John.
Great minds think alike.
...you and my brother, I mean.
Me. Not so much.
I won't show you my heavily modified Roust-A-Bout crane...

This old crane won't see it's intended use in my hands, not even as much as it was obviously used after its weld surgeries. I will trust my own weld of the broken part as much as I trust the ancient others, but, like you said, only for very light loads.
I don't want any more lawn ornaments, since my intent is preservation for the next generation, and stuff rots outside.
I am working on that and have sold some stuff to better homes and making room inside for others.

This old crane will happily live in retirement, with occasional use. A far better fate than being melted down.

Thanks, again.

Mike

Rustyironism:

You wrote: "The legs are broken and re-enforced with steel welded in. The left side weld is broken, with a scabbed on piece on top."

and then you wrote: "Its a neat item that will find some use here,"

With all due respect, how can you ever trust this lifting device? Would you want the jib [?davit?] to fall on your foot? I'm sure that the only lifts you are contemplating are loads just a little too heavy to lift by hand, but far short of the original rating. Still......it's untrustworthy and might give way without warning.

Do you really have that much confidence in the welds and other repairs?

Is the broken/welded base a casting?

I'd demote this one to a yard ornament. I mean that sincerely. I don't want to see you or anyone else get hurt by a questionable lifting device.

John Ruth

Do you ask to see the credentials of the welders and any Xrays of the structural welds before you enter a tall building? Do you check the elevator inspection report before pressing "Door Close"? Really man, most people with common sense don't perform repair work beyond their capabilities.

Really man said:
...ah, if only that were true!!

I was coming back into the USA from Canada and stuck in traffic at the very peak of the Blue Water Bridge one day.
Beautiful view of the St. Clair River and Lake Huron. Beautiful day.
I turned on the radio and the news broke about the highway bridge collapse in Minnesota..........

I began to feel the swaying of the structure more intensely.
I was inspecting every single rivet that shuttered beside me.
I wondered about the science and engineering that created the design.
I remembered the stories of fearless native Indians, often liqoured they say, walking unstrapped on the high iron of the Mackinac Bridge, whacking rivets.

To my amazement and fears, as I ever so slowly passed the wire rope railings that were saftey wire along a maintenance walkway, I noticed that nearly half of the clips were on ..backwards!!

"Never Saddle A Dead Horse" I learned in some long ago rigging class.

I called the Bridge Authority, ..after I got home... and informed them of the situation. The guy must have been foaming at the mouth as he let out on me that the bridge is inspected every year, blah blah blah...

I only at that time hoped that they didn't have caller I.D. and think I was some terrorist nut or something!!

So, I do heed the words of those whose concerns of saftey are often overwhelming, but, then again, sometimes my toes hang off the edge.......

Its all good.. and fun!

thanks.
Mike

Here are a couple of pictures of my 2 ton No. 3 Canton portable crane built by the Hill Acme Co. The crank is 16" center to center. It looks like you are also missing the block with hook. If it's like mine then the chain should be two parted.

crane 1.jpgcrane 2.jpgcrane 3.jpgcrane 4.jpg

Very similar, Bill!
All I have is the above 1915 ad, but, from the rear, the nose piece looks the same as yours.
Your crank is straight, but, the one in the ad seems to be "S" bent.
Also, I don't see a ratchet pawl on yours on the handle side. I need to remove the cover on mine to see exactly what it is.
I do not have the pulley block, but, what do you mean by "two parted chain"? I see that the chain looping thru the block and attaching to the nose piece would provide more weight advantage by using the two chains as a sling. is that what you mean? One continuous chain?

Thanks!
Mike

Mike,
When a chain or rope goes through a block to double the capacity it is said to be two parted or a two part line. If the line made another complete loop you would have a three part line with a 3 to 1 advantage. My hoist has a ratchet and a friction clutch on the opposite side. I can also put the crank on either side. The ratchet stays engaged all the time on mine and when you lower the hoist the friction clutch releases so you can turn the crank and let the load down.

Thanks, Bill.
Never heard that term before. It does look a lot better with an old snatch block hanging on it.

Larry, thanks for the post about Rick's crane. I have never seen one before, but, evidently, I just didn't have my eyes open!

Mikesnatch block.jpg

I have a 2 ton Canton Potable Crane

Just picked up some stuff destined for the scrap yard and will post some pictures and questions on some of it in a while.
But, for now, does anyone have, or have knowledge of, the Franklin Portable Crane & Hoist Co., Franklin, Pa.?
I have this ad from 1915 and it is pretty informative.
View attachment 86622

The legs are broken and re-enforced with steel welded in. The left side weld is broken, with a scabbed on piece on top.
Guess they loaded more than 2 tons!
My brother noted that the straps running along the back are why the uprights didn't break first.
The guards are shop made, but, a nice job.

If anyone has one like it, can you send a picture of the front nose piece? The one in place is a weldment.
A picture of the handle would help me to reproduce one.

Its a neat item that will find some use here, but, a simple modern hydraulc cherry picker puts it to shame in efficiency!

MikeView attachment 86623View attachment 86624View attachment 86625View attachment 86626

I have the 2 ton Canton Portable Crane in perfect working condition. I am willing to sell for a good price. It is listed on Craigslist Worcester MA right now

Back