What's new
What's new

Fray All Angle Frankenstein

Mg42gunner

Plastic
Hey all. I'm new to the forum and to machining in general. I've played and done lathe work and dabbled with mills, but am just starting to get more into them.

I picked up a Frankenstein machine for nothing at the last day of an estate sale and it even works. It's a steptoe base from a horizontal mill (1913 dated). And a Fray All Angle type C head (single phase 120, 7A 1/2 hp motor).

Does anyone know what kind of collets/tooling I'm supposed to use in this thing? Online resources for these is almost non existent. I'll post a picture of this thing later.

Hey all. I'm new to the forum and to machining in general. I've played and done lathe work and dabbled with mills, but am just starting to get more into them.

I picked up a Frankenstein machine for nothing at the last day of an estate sale and it even works. It's a steptoe base from a horizontal mill (1913 dated). And a Fray All Angle type C head (single phase 120, 7A 1/2 hp motor).

Does anyone know what kind of collets/tooling I'm supposed to use in this thing? Online resources for these is almost non existent. I'll post a picture of this thing later.

I think it is about as well covered "right here, on PM" as anywhere else. Look for "Diamond" as well as Fray. They traded components back and forth, ISTR eventually came under common ownership - or at least shared sales efforts?

IIRC, the spindles were B&S # 7 and/or B&S #9 .. MT 2 the other "probable"?

Native-taper collets for all are still to be had - used off eBay, or new, but PRC-made, from H&H Industrial and such ?

The "Top Guns" amongst hi-precision collet makers will still make B&S taper to special order, but you might want to already be on a gurney with a IV drip running.. not just "sitting down" ... at what they charge!

:(

I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer Weldon-style direct to the taper "side lock" milling cutter holders, AND NOT collets (other than for drilling?). I had no real trouble finding my #9 B&S on eBay.. or "right here, on PM" ...from other members who had a few surplus to needs.

"Most folks" might mount an ER system (or TG?) 'one time', then do their collet work from that? I do have ER as well (for Burke & USMT, not Fray).

Fray were very versatile as to positioning, but also SHORT on rigidity wherever "positioned", so "clever and handy", yes - but ALSO rather light as to duty.

2CW

I think it is about as well covered "right here, on PM" as anywhere else. Look for "Diamond" as well as Fray. They traded components back and forth, ISTR eventually came under common ownership - or at least shared sales efforts?

IIRC, the spindles were B&S # 7 and/or B&S #9 .. MT 2 the other "probable"?

Native-taper collets for all are still to be had - used off eBay, or new, but PRC-made, from H&H Industrial and such ?

The "Top Guns" amongst hi-precision collet makers will still make B&S taper to special order, but you might want to already be on a gurney with a IV drip running.. not just "sitting down" ... at what they charge!

I'm old-fashioned enough to prefer Weldon-style direct to the taper "side lock" milling cutter holders, AND NOT collets (other than for drilling?). I had no real trouble finding my #9 B&S on eBay.. or "right here, on PM" ...from other members who had a few surplus to needs.

"Most folks" might mount an ER system (or TG?) 'one time', then do their collet work from that? I do have ER as well (for Burke & USMT, not Fray).

Fray were very versatile as to positioning, but also SHORT on rigidity wherever "positioned", so "clever and handy", yes - but ALSO rather light as to duty.

2CW

I haven’t seen you in a couple days Bill, I thought you died!

I haven’t seen you in a couple days Bill, I thought you died!

Nah. Didn't even s**t the bed. Yet. Mought have to wait 'til I start to do "hydraulics work" by f*****g with wore-out scroll chucks?

:D

Roofing project underway. Re-sheating the whole shebang, 42 squares, 1972 vintage ply about to be cleaned-up. Then doubled to 31/32d's.

The grotty details, yah don' REALLY wanna know!

Lacerated hands from digging the forklift out of a drainage gravel - not waterbound MacAdam-gravel - pit should be healed in about one more day. Forgot I hadn't finished that area! Duhhhh..

Wonderful s**t "Arnica" salve!

HANDY s**t, a pair of decent toe-jacks...

I think I am still fifteen cents ahead using the Doosan 8K instead of the $135/day more expensive rough-terrain "mini-telehandler"? Wellll. at OLD 'minimum wage" for the time I blew-away, maybe not at fifteen bucks?

:D

But NEXT go, I WILL spring for the R/T capability!

Last edited:

Back