What's new
What's new

Free Ames milling machine base + some mill parts - Boston area

TomBoctou

Hot Rolled
I moved my Ames to another table a few years ago and still have the base sitting around in the way. It's gotta go, so next step is a free listing on Craigslist, which probably means a scrapper.

The top is 24 X 29 and 27 high. The whole thing is thin wall cast iron - a very impressive casting job by my humble estimation. The paint is PPG Concept, I'll throw in the remainder of the pint in case you want to do touchup or paint the pan.

I'll throw in my parts mill and the gearbox if wanted. The mill is in good shape, but only includes what's pictured, plus a table that's had two bolts pulled through the T slot (not by me). The gearbox is two speed and has a lever that comes up through the mill base. No motor or other drive stuff.

I drive to Western MA regularly, so there's a chance of delivery if you're in my path.
ames-base-2.jpgames-base-3.jpg

I moved my Ames to another table a few years ago and still have the base sitting around in the way. It's gotta go, so next step is a free listing on Craigslist, which probably means a scrapper.

The top is 24 X 29 and 27 high. The whole thing is thin wall cast iron - a very impressive casting job by my humble estimation.

Not worth the trip, but "if it were HERE" that lovely base would be getting a swivel top.

Four bench grinders / double-ended spindles for grinding wheel, wire wheels / muslin buff / diamond lap atop it, one each "corner". "Snorkel" for shared vac / dust collector up the center.

Pick an odd corner, back it in. Swing the needful one for the tasking of the moment into the scare floorspace "up front" where one can sit or to stand use it, clamp and go.

Dust vac, wheels, buffs, compound, etc stashed in the common base.

Rig like that might see three times as much use, any given week than the mill as came off it..

Common need, most any shop, and we never seem to have enough decent spindles with the RIGHT stuff mounted but to screw around swapping instead of using quickly, then getting back to the "real work" it interrupted.

2CW

That is a nice base.

Do you use the Slo-Syn X-Y milling table on the right in the first pic? I have one put up for eventual recommissioning.

Not worth the trip, but "if it were HERE" that lovely base would be getting a swivel top.

Four bench grinders / double-ended spindles for grinding wheel, wire wheels / muslin buff / diamond lap atop it, one each "corner". "Snorkel" for shared vac / dust collector up the center.

Pick an odd corner, back it in. Swing the needful one for the tasking of the moment into the scare floorspace "up front" where one can sit or to stand use it, clamp and go.

Dust vac, wheels, buffs, compound, etc stashed in the common base.

Rig like that might see three times as much use, any given week than the mill as came off it..

Common need, most any shop, and we never seem to have enough decent spindles with the RIGHT stuff mounted but to screw around swapping instead of using quickly, then getting back to the "real work" it interrupted.

2CW

That's a clever idea. It could fit a squirrel cage fan inside with a filter.

I don't know how often Ames mill parts come up, but this one is in pretty good shape and, for someone with an Ames lathe, it just needs the compound and table, and I have some parts for the table, along with the damaged table.

That's a clever idea. It could fit a squirrel cage fan inside with a filter.
Shop vacs are cheap. One could add a pre-filter. Neat to have some sort of cylindrical turret at center, coming up through a lazy-susan bearing. If that had a sort of gate with a flap seal so it "commutated" so the extraction ducts on only the "active" spindles got the suction it could be effective enough.

The rig need not alter the Ames pedestal under it at all, so that remains available if/as/when.

Should not need much more than a ready-made table top, sheet galvanized of shiney-wood atop as spark stop.

Last edited:
Next time I'm going to try "Anyone want this machine or should I scrap it and sell the gears and handles for steampunk sculpture?".

LOL! Probably move the goods, same-day, and to a good home, even so! As I hope "Baaaaastan" turns out to be!

But .....suffer two YEARS post-conveyance of ranting and raving criticism on PM of the senile-vicious flavour!

:)

I remember this from when you first asked about it and thought thermite had a good idea you agreed with to use as a grinder stand with suction in the center. Was kind of surprised when you posted about selling to yuppie, all is good I guess, let us know if the new owner pulls up in a bimmer wearing a pastel yellow shirt with a sweater around neck...:D

Back