What's new
What's new

Free to good home

Joe Michaels

Diamond
I am realizing we only get one lifetime, and that of finite and unknown length. As a result, I am clearing out my shop of equipment I haven't used in ages and won't use again. All I ask is: come take it and give it a good home, adapt it for re-use, or pass it along to someone who has need of it. Here is the list, a bit O/T:

-DeWalt 8" radial arm saw. This is a 1950's DeWalt/AMF machine, original 'spatterdash' green paint, on original DeWalt cabinet base with original Dewalt folding table top. Only thing not original on this saw is the addition of a modern push-button switch rather than the original key switch. This is a very well built radial arm saw, a lot more precise and rigid than the later ones. Wire for 110 volts.

-Craftsman 4" jointer. This is a cast iron jointer built ca. 1945-50's. It has new knives in it. It was given to me by an electrician on a jobsite who bought it when he came home from WWII. He ran it as part of a 'home shop' setup with a two-shaft Craftsman motor. I built a stand and ran it with a 1 HP 3450 rpm motor. I got a Delta 6" jointer and moved the 1 HP motor to drive it. This is a good little jointer, but will need a stand and motor.

Funny story was that I had just gotten married, and my wife used to visit me on that jobsite. The electrician approached me one morning and pulled out the jointer from his car. His remarks were something to the effect: "God Bless you and your wife, here... make a cradle..." Coming up on 39 years of marriage, kids grown, no need grandchildren in the foreseeable future. Whether you take the jointer and saw to make a cradle or anything else, all that matters to me is they go to someone who has some use for them.

-Skil 3/4" electric drill. This is from the late 40's-1950's and came out of a local John Deere and farm machinery shop. It is a cast aluminum housing drill with 1" pipe holdback bar, and Jacobs keyed chuck. Non reversible, single speed, 110 volts. I've used it a few times, and it is a bear. There is a reason they invented magnetic based drill presses. Might make a good drive for a portable boring bar with some adaptation.

-Craftsman sign making template kit and guide for routers. Appears un-used in original box. No idea where this came from.

-Craftsman router table, probably from the 1970's, probably came in the same lot of stuff as the sign making template kit.

All of this is located at my home shop in Shandaken, NY. Shandaken is located approximately 130 miles NW of NY City, 90 miles SW of Albany, NY.

If no takers here, then I will put the items out along NYS Route 28 with a "free stuff" sign and let some anonymous person(s) have at it.

-Skil 3/4" electric drill. This is from the late 40's-1950's and came out of a local John Deere and farm machinery shop. It is a cast aluminum housing drill with 1" pipe holdback bar, and Jacobs keyed chuck. Non reversible, single speed, 110 volts. I've used it a few times, and it is a bear. There is a reason they invented magnetic based drill presses. Might make a good drive for a portable boring bar with some adaptation.
I have a cast iron stand for the older manhandler portable drills, and am looking for the drill.
I will double check, but IIRC the nose needs a 1 1/2" dia. straight section, just behind the chuck for the clamp to hold it in the stand.

If you could measure your drill, I will measure the stand.

That area that you live in sure is beautiful Joe, if you didn't have Cuomo and upstate winter it sure would be tempting to move back east. A friend of mine lives in Acra,I have visited him several times and gone canoe camping up in the Adirondack. Jim

If you don't get any local takers on the sign making kit and would consider shipping to Ohio on my dime Id be interested. Would also be interested in the router table if I was local but shipping that is probably too much hassle and expense.

Jeff

Last edited:
Jeff:

Please PM me your name & USPS address. I believe the whole works can go via USPS flat rate boxes. The router table disassembles to lay flat, so I should be able to get it shipped reasonably if you are interested.

Regards-
Joe Michaels

Jeff:

Please PM me your name & USPS address. I believe the whole works can go via USPS flat rate boxes. The router table disassembles to lay flat, so I should be able to get it shipped reasonably if you are interested.

Regards-
Joe Michaels

Joe,
I tried but it says your inbox is full.

Jeff

Joe I recently sold a radial saw just like yours, but a little smaller, there should be a ready market for that. But I understand not wanting to do the Craigslist routine. I may be interested in the jointer- and it would be great to see your shop! Perhaps this Sunday afternoon I could cross over to your side of the hill and finally make your aquaintance?

To jmm03- my shop is in Acra!

If no takers here, then I will put the items out along NYS Route 28 with a "free stuff" sign and let some anonymous person(s) have at it.

Be careful about doing that. In Webster Groves we have had problems with people taking things that did not have a "Free" sign. I lost a lawn mower that I parked in front of the building because it was in the way. There are a lot of scavengers here and anything that looks like scrap disappears quickly. The HVAC shop next door has a scrap dealer they deal with. When they need a pickup, they have to hold it inside until the dealer gets there.

The Stained glass shop on the other side has a rack for their pickup truck for delivering windows. One time an owner and once I caught people dragging it away. They store it in the alley between our buildings, not on the sidewalk. In my case, the couple trying to take it were completely irrational about it. Even though I told them it wasn't scrap, they tried to take it. I finally wound up yelling at them "It's mine and you can't have it!'

You don't want to get people in the habit of picking up anything they see near the road.

Bill

The old DeWalt radial saws as described with the key switch are precision little machines, might be of interest to machinist looking to fiddle around with woodworking.
The saws were hugely popular, and expensive around $175 in the 1950s. The saws seem to have a bad wrap from people sawing their fingers off and fell from home use.
I have one those models, it can be adjusted to cut accurately, well made tool.

I have a cast iron stand for the older manhandler portable drills, and am looking for the drill.
I will double check, but IIRC the nose needs a 1 1/2" dia. straight section, just behind the chuck for the clamp to hold it in the stand.

If you could measure your drill, I will measure the stand.

EDIT: I found my stand and the clamp for the "nose" is bored for 2" dia.

Back