What's new
What's new

Free Lathe on CL

Before the pictures disappear off of craigslist, i'll post them. Paolo, you beat me to it.

Attachments

• 00g0g_96OCxuf6Tx6z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00g0g_96OCxuf6Tx6z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 00k0k_6Da0dN21r8tz_0t20CI_1200x900 (1).jpg
    00k0k_6Da0dN21r8tz_0t20CI_1200x900 (1).jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 42
  • 00k0k_bwytCd4zwLfz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00k0k_bwytCd4zwLfz_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 00w0w_ahT877uUqk2z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    00w0w_ahT877uUqk2z_0t20CI_1200x900.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 43
Yes this lathe is interesting especially the gear drive. One extra shaft that geared to something. Top one on the housing for the lead probably drives the lead screw, next one down the feed but it's speed is increased. But what is the third shaft for? Also looks like the feed shaft has attachment. I'm wondering if that lathe has attachment to cut spiral oil groves in bronze bearings. Another oddity is the cross slide is separate from the saddle. Seems like some other part is on the floor when seen from the carriage photo. Might be a good project for those rebuilding old lathes! It's an oddball!

It's got a taper attachment sitting underneath it too. I've both no room for it nor a way to move it, but I hope that someone saves it from the scrappers.

That's a 'rise and fall' cross slide, which they stopped making around the turn of 1900, you crank up the end to center your cutter. They were used before lantern toolpost holders became common. The features on it look like it might be a Flather lathe, although the handles on the back end of it look a lot like a Prentice Brother's lathe.

Allston can be a pain to load heavy stuff into a truck, due to tight parking arrangements. But maybe this place has it's own parking lot or whatever.

I have a bad feeling that it will wind up as scrap unless someone makes the effort to keep it safe. It's too bad, I don't really have the space for it, and older machines aren't my main interest.

Hmm, how would a CNC conversion go over with you guys? :D

I've moved quite a few of them old lathes back when I was younger( about 50 years ago). Gear drive lathes brought top dollar so us newbies could only afford flat belt lathes. They are not that difficult, simply take them apart, they need to be rebuilt any way. Heaviest is the bed but with the legs removed it can be slid on a bed of a Pick-Up or trailer.

-I, for one, would love to see somebody do a "steampunk" CNC. :D

Just like people do with making an old-timey computer case with old tubes and Edison bulbs, but of course has a modern computer inside.

Find some vintage fan motors or something, gut the case, and fit a modern stepper inside, find an antique 3-phase to drive the thing and hide a VFD somewhere... Use cloth covered cables (or rather, modern cables covered in cloth) and a lot of little brass fittings and brackets to hold it all together.... A bunch of unnecessary rivets...

A control PC off to the side in a wooden case with vacuum tubes, indefinable-function brass pipes, and mouse made of two telegraph keys...

I mean, any idiot can make a steampunk computer case... it takes a craftsman to make a steampunk CNC lathe. :D

Doc.

Allston can be a pain to load heavy stuff into a truck, due to tight parking arrangements. But maybe this place has it's own parking lot or whatever.

I have a bad feeling that it will wind up as scrap unless someone makes the effort to keep it safe. It's too bad, I don't really have the space for it, and older machines aren't my main interest.

I see a Brooklyn Loft Hipster table in the rough.

Back