What's new
What's new

FREE - Modified Gray Planer

Allegheny

Aluminum
Hi,

I am posting this for a guy I met via a CL ad - the original ad title was something like "Bridgeport Planer - $1,000." Turns out it was a small Gray Planer with a Bridgeport M head mounted in place of the clapper box. The clapper box is gone, as is the power down and cross feeds.

His contact info is as below:

Steve in east windsor Connecticut .
Machine is free. Take it away. Estimate 4 tons and overall is 3 feet x 9 feet.
Need it out of my shop. Selling the property and it has to go by October 1st week. Otherwise going to scrap.

I have no financial interest in this (how could I if it's free?). I will put up photos in the next post.

A lance handle, (10) pieces of black iron pipe, and a 12-pack of oxygen....:D

Seriously, why is this stuff "held hostage" for a "got 1 week to get it out or else" ?

Reminiscient of the former "Maxwell Silverman's Tool Shed" in Worcester, MA.

Parts are dribbling away - much as the dry leaves before the wild hurricane fly - when they meet with an obstacle mount to the sky.

Big industrial Iron conference table base - antiques - by owner - collectibles sale

00V0V_izoqgQhGixh_600x450.jpg

Johnny Carson (The Great Carnac) "Would see a Toyota in someone's future."

DMtMfBh.gif

Joe in NH

Seriously, why is this stuff "held hostage" for a "got 1 week to get it out or else" ?

To be fair to the guy, he had an add up for some time on CL knowing it needed to be gone and a fellow member here stumbled on it near the last minute and is trying to put it in the hands of someone who wants it. I would get it if it was in Calif. if for no other reason than for the table and the base. Sell the M-head.

That looks like a J head rather than an M head to me, can anyone confirm?

The planer itself looks a lot like the G.A. Gray planer we have in the machine shop at Knight Foundry. This one is also missing the bits responsible for the automatic back-and-forth table motion.

David

From a previous email exchange with the owner in late August:

Table is 6' x 20". Overall length is 10'. 6 feet wide.Not sure of the model. Yes did core venting on injection molds with this machine. The table travels 6 feet . The y axis travels 20 inches by hand crank. Z axis travels 3 feet by hand crank. The t slots are not destroyed. Pin holes are good as well. Not sure of the weight. Will have to bring riggers or drag it onto a flat bed.

Yup, it's a J head. Worst case is it might be good for a $100-200 parts head.

If that thing was local to me I'd snatch it. I could really use another project:ack2:! But given enough fabrication I could see it plaining again.... Missing clapper is s pain, but perhaps a compound from an old lathe could be adapted?

I seem to remember a post somewhere where someone talked about retrofitting one of these to use a VFD and limit switch's to replace the counter-shaft forward/reverse function....

So this was for face milling or fly cutting only. Even then, the weight of the head with that extension, makes me wonder as it traverses. Since it is milling, there has to be an accurate slow feed.

Back