What's new
What's new

french elegance

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
Riehle Brothers of The Philadelphia Scale and Testing-machine Works
marketed a practical metallurgical test machine in 1890

a few are still in use

the French incorporated similar design principals--but elevated the fit and finish of the completed product to fine watchmaking levels

Attachments

• aa12.jpg
    aa12.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 458
  • rbt3.jpg
    rbt3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 423
Riehle Brothers of The Philadelphia Scale and Testing-machine Works
marketed a practical metallurgical test machine in 1890

a few are still in use

the French incorporated similar design principals--but elevated the fit and finish of the completed product to fine watchmaking levels

Well.... steel-pen line-art vs a good B&W photograph, Bendayed... just MIGHT be exaggerating any real difference in finish.

One does wonder how many of the French ones are "still in use"?

:D

JHolland:

The picture of the Riehle Brothers testing machine brings back memories of my time at Brooklyn Technical HS in the mid -late 60's. In our junior year, we took a basic strength of materials course, and it included learning about bending moments, figuring simple structural steel, and included a lab. The lab consisted of experiments to plot the stress-strain curves on different materials when doing tensile tests and derive the Modulus of Elasticity, and it included concrete cylinder tests, "dogbone" tensile tests of mortar speciments, torsion tests, Charpy impact tests, and tensile tests on sample riveted connections. We kids used a variety of testing machines, one of which was a Riehle tensile tester much like the one in the photo. We were testing samples of sheet metals (steel, brass, bronze, copper). Three of us at a time were assigned to the Riehle testing machine while other kids were off doing other tests. Our teacher had us run the Riehle testing machine by hand, so a kid named Joe Granato cranked the main drive to the screws, applying the load. I cranked the handwheel to run the "counterpoise weight" out on the balance beam, and a third kid (whose name escapes me after about 50 years) took the readings. He read an "Ames Gauge" (dial indicator) to get the "stretch" and I hollered out the counterpoise reading. Our teacher, Mr. Durso, came over and remarked we were one of the few groups to keep the balance weight beam floating, not bouncing between its stops. The Riehle machine was a well made machine with finely finished parts, but then, all the testing machines in the lab were. We had a Louis Schopper, pre-war mechanical universal testing machine with huge lead screws- made in Leipzig, Germany, in the 20's. We had a Baldwin-Southwark univeral testing machine using hydraulics, along with a mess of other testing machines. We used the Riehle tensile tester for pulling tests on those "dogbone" mortar specimens as well.

If I had to describe that strength of materials course, I would not have a good enough adjective or combination of words. I learned so much in so short a time. The first tensile test on an ASTM "505 specimen" ( 0.505" diameter at the test area, which computes to 0.400 square inches- in the pre calculator days, this was a time saver) was like a light bulb went off in my head. Between Mr. Durso's teaching and the seeing and deriving associated with that tensile test, I learned Hooke's Law, and so much more.

Unfortunately, Brooklyn Technical HS has been watered down to the point that other than the building and name, little remains of what it was when I was there. I call it being "de nutted". I have no doubt the modern "educators" and "kinder, gentler" types have ripped out the old strength of materials lab equipment. I know there is one testing lab on the East Coast of the USA still using a Riehle testing machine that is well over 100 years old. I can also say that the education I got at Brooklyn Tech, hands-on as well as in the classrooms, was superior to what I got in undergraduate engineering school, and reached me in a way that no computer simulation or modern teaching methods ever could. I've used what I learned, particularly in that basic strength of materials course, over my entire career. People ask me how I can whip through structural calculations or figure the "stretch" on studbolts and what the clamping force will be and I tell them: "I learned it in high school, not in college". I learned the bulk of it in a few semesters at 'Tech.

Joe - I was interested in your reference to a "Baldwin Southwark" testing machine. Baldwin Southwark appears from what I have gleaned on the net to have been or to be a US company. Having become interested in the Kirkaldy testing machine in London, to which Asquith called our attention some time ago, and given the association of the London place-name Southwark with the Kirkaldy site, I wonder if there is some historical connection between the two machines.

-Marty-

This thread is interesting. I work for a fastener distributor. We do tensile, proof load, and 0.2% offset yield testing on various types of cap screws and bolts. Mostly carbon and alloy steel but also some stainless.

We have a Warner Swasey Baldwin 60,000 lb hydraulic tensile machine. It's a good old machine - I use it every day for screws 5/8" or less diameter and grade 8 or less.

We also have Tinius and Instron hydraulic tensile machines of 120,000 lbs.

It's interesting to hear about and see pictures of the old mechanical tensile machines

excello

Last edited:
Tinius Oleson (sp?)was also a major player in the tensile/compression market also.

Herb
Tinius Olsen was indeed a major player. He was heavily involved in the engineering ( maybe the TOTAL engineering) of those first Riehle tensile machines. A very smart fellow. Finally started his own company and they are still going strong today.

The 120,000 lb Tinius we have is VERY well made. It is the go to machine when we are breaking bolts that are near the max load limit. It seems to take the pounding better than our 120,000 lb Instron-Satec.

excello

Back