What's new
What's new

french focusing lamps

JHOLLAND1

Titanium
those of us residing in northern hemisphere are currently subject to reduced daylight

around 300 years ago european watchmakers used clear vitreous globes-patterned after florence flasks--introduced into italian fermented spirits distilling in 1744-- and filled with clear fluid

the globes were positioned on the artisans table--during daylight hours sun
would pass thru forming a cone-like beam

during darkness-candle power provided a similar effect

an interesting variation is the quadruple french focusing lamp with
wooden adjusting threads

one thing is certain both in those times as well as now--aging eyes must have more light in order to perform precision tasks

Attachments

• uighkjg.JPG
    uighkjg.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 234
  • iojlikjh.JPG
    iojlikjh.JPG
    42.6 KB · Views: 279
  • kl;hjlkh.jpg
    kl;hjlkh.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 250
  • ljkhkljh.JPG
    ljkhkljh.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 233
  • ghjfghj.JPG
    ghjfghj.JPG
    20.4 KB · Views: 247
Interesting post. Thank you. Vision is a funny thing. When searching for faintly stamped serial numbers on antique engines I often use a small flashlight in pitch dark. Great darkness with one small light beam can often bring out details not seen under the brightest light. The same goes for fine precision filing or fitting of parts.

I once had the idea to try working using these, what a sort of romantic thought of doing stuff just like they did all those years ago. Well that idea lasted about an hour, I'll take my halogen work lights over these any day.

JHolland1:

The quadrifoil-shape bench in your Post #2 is just a fountain of practical ideas! The combination of the elbow rest areas and the leather "catchers" would benefit many fine-work tasks!

Just think, no more wondering where that spring that fell into your lap came to rest!

JRR

Back