What's new
What's new

FS 1920s vintage G&E 16 inch Shaper

Dave Vincent

Cast Iron
FS 1920s vintage G&E 16 inch Shaper (Photos)

G&E Shaper 003.jpgG&E Shaper 005.jpgG&E Shaper 006.jpgG&E Shaper 002.jpgI have a 16 inch G&E Shaper that I would like to sell. The last patent date on it is May 21 1918. This machine has the factory electric motor drive on it. The motor is a 1200 rpm 3 hp 3 phase. This machine has manual oiling on it, there is no oil pump. It has a stand table. It has a vice and handle, crank handle, tool holder, front support , poke tooling for internal key ways, a gallon of oil and a G&E parts book . It comes with every shown in the pictures if they come up. The shaper runs good the only reason I am selling it is that a couple of years ago, I got a Hendey 12 shaper and it is much handier to use than the G&E (auto lube) so it just sits there and I need the space. The machine is under power so you can try it.

The shaper is located in Rochester, NY. I am guessing it weights between 3500 to 4000 lbs I hauled it home on a 5x10 landscape trailer that had a 3500 lb axle in it, but I only had to go 15 miles. I can load this on a low trailer providing it fits trough my garage door. I know the tandem axle Uhauls will. I know you could haul it on Uhauls tandem axle trailers with no problem. Another member hauled home a newer 16 inch G&E Shaper that weighted 4500 lbs with no problems.

Price $500

If for some reason the pictures don't come up email me at [email protected] you can email me with questions or comments or here on the PM.

Thanks for looking Dave.

Last edited:
View attachment 105267View attachment 105268View attachment 105269View attachment 105266I have a 16 inch G&E Shaper that I would like to sell. The last patent date on it is May 21 1918. This machine has the factory electric motor drive on it. The motor is a 1200 rpm 3 hp 3 phase. This machine has manual oiling on it, there is no oil pump. It has a stand table. It has a vice and handle, crank handle, tool holder, front support , poke tooling for internal key ways, a gallon of oil and a G&E parts book . It comes with every shown in the pictures if they come up. The shaper runs good the only reason I am selling it is that a couple of years ago, I got a Hendey 12 shaper and it is much handier to use than the G&E (auto lube) so it just sits there and I need the space. The machine is under power so you can try it.

The shaper is located in Rochester, NY. I am guessing it weights between 3500 to 4000 lbs I hauled it home on a 5x10 landscape trailer that had a 3500 lb axle in it, but I only had to go 15 miles. I can load this on a low trailer providing it fits trough my garage door. I know the tandem axle Uhauls will. I know you could haul it on Uhauls tandem axle trailers with no problem. Another member hauled home a newer 16 inch G&E Shaper that weighted 4500 lbs with no problems.

Price $500

If for some reason the pictures don't come up email me at [email protected] you can email me with questions or comments or here on the PM.

Thanks for looking Dave.

Nice looking machine, and a great size for the small shop. Its what I was looking for when I picked up my 20" G&E.
Nice to see one with the vise, vise handle, table support and a tool holder.

My unit came in at 4020 LB according to the truck scale at work and 4100 when the crane lifted it to move it. The 80 lb difference was a block of steel clamped in the vise during the second move.
I suspect your machine will come in closer to the 3500 lb mark or less. It has a smaller ram and the base casting does not extend past the front of the table like mine does.

To lift mine, I ran a sling throught the big vertical slots cast into the front of the base and rolled the ram to ballance things.
Your base is not as long as mine so some aditional effort may be riquied to rig and ballance it for a lift.

I'm in the market for one but that's just too far to drive for me. It's nice to see a well oiled one though, a lot of them you see for sell have rust all over it that the seller calls a pantina of surface rust. Good luck with the sale.

Dave,
thanks for all your work in saving this beauty and also for pumping the come-along a few times!
Your thorough oiling as you explained the operations showed your true appreciation of old iron.
Its just the thing to quiet that squeaky spot of concrete in my barn!

If not for 1 and 2 hour border crossings and construction traffic eating time, we would have enjoyed a longer visit.
I would have suffered the wrath of my sis-in-law, after she finished with my brother, if I didn't have him home by midnight. He made it by ten minutes!

For those home bound enthusiasts, here, hopefully, are some brighter pictures of the interesting details of the machine.
One of the pictures is from the rear, looking at the crank arm. There is a vertical set screw in the base.
Any idea what that screw was for?

Thanks.
Mike

unknown set screw.jpg
wrapped.jpgswitch.jpgstroke gauge.jpgmotor clutch cover.jpg

Hi Mike,

The shaper looks good in its new home. It was great meeting you and your brother. The set screw is to support the shaft that you have shoved thought the machine to cut a key way in it.

Dave

tapered key start.jpg..ah. That explains the hole in the rocker arm.
Having little shaper experience, I am picturing the clapper not seating on the return stroke, then, on forward stroke, gradually tapering the cut until the clapper seats and the cut continues full depth to the end of the shaft being keyed?

I have old shafts with that tapered cut that I always "assumed" was a horizontal mill cut with a large diameter cutter.

I can now picture those shafts having been done in a shaper, if, indeed, it works as I just described it.

Forgive my ignorance, but, is that how it works?

Thanks.
Mike

Last edited:

Back