FS: Cincinnati No. 2 Milling Machine (early 1900's) - 350$ - DFW Area, Texas, UAS
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default FS: Cincinnati No. 2 Milling Machine (early 1900's) - 350$ - DFW Area, Texas, UAS

    Hey All, I am getting pretty busy with with work and decided to sell off a few restoration projects I had lined up had this for 1.5 years and hadn't done anything with it, so figure I may never have the time to restore it.


    This machine ran when I bought it, but do not have 3phase setup where I’m storing it in Rockwall, Tx. has a 2 HP motor on it. The bed is in good shape with minimal marks etc!

    The gear train that powers the power feed x-axis looks in good shape and cannot find any chipped teeth - I do not think the power feed has been used in 30+ years 😂

    I do not have a great way to load it where stored, but it is light enough to winch on a trailer - I move it with drop deck trailers I rent from United Rentals - I can easily deliver it for a trailer rental fee/gas.

    Selling for 50$ above scrap! should make a cool resto project!


    01313_gdrmphd6b4s_1200x900.jpg00j0j_h5felgyftyc_1200x900.jpg00l0l_8hhu754jvik_1200x900.jpg00r0r_hzdrwmw6clg_1200x900.jpg00g0g_foomzp3q0b6_1200x900.jpg

  2. Likes M.B. Naegle, RCPDesigns, 51cub liked this post
  3. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    30,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Wonderful "ball joint" style from about 1903.

    The "balls" house miter gear sets for feed drive

    Feed will be INCHES PER REVOLUTION - before they settled on INCHES PER MINUTE

    Here is my 1 1/2 from about 50 years back - table and saddle got fried in a shop fire, so nothing ever became of it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cinc-potter-johnston.jpg  
    Last edited by johnoder; 01-06-2020 at 07:05 PM.

  4. Likes Bowtie_Finn, DrHook liked this post
  5. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Wonderful "ball joint" style from about 1903.

    The "balls" house miter gear sets for feed drive
    YA MAN! it is an awesome machine - work of art!

  6. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    North Carolina
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default

    So how much is $50 above scrap?

  7. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post
  8. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    30,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wncjohn View Post
    So how much is $50 above scrap?

    Opening post TITLE states $350

  9. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post
  10. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    651
    Likes (Received)
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Opening post TITLE states $350
    I think a very good price if you like the old iron. I paid $600 for a similar mill though I am in a machine tool desert.

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RCPDesigns View Post
    I think a very good price if you like the old iron. I paid $600 for a similar mill though I am in a machine tool desert.
    Maybe its just me, but it seems machine tools have a hard time selling in Dallas area - I see them sit on CL for ever and a day lol

  12. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnoder View Post
    Wonderful "ball joint" style from about 1903.

    The "balls" house miter gear sets for feed drive

    Feed will be INCHES PER REVOLUTION - before they settled on INCHES PER MINUTE

    Here is my 1 1/2 from about 50 years back - table and saddle got fried in a shop fire, so nothing ever became of it
    Dang, sad to loose such a machine I didn't realize it was INCHES PER REVOLUTION, that is interesting !

  13. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Price drop to 300$ obo!

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Munster, In. USA
    Posts
    2,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    492
    Likes (Received)
    740

    Default

    Screenshots from the 1903 catalog;
    no2-bells-whistles.jpgcincinnati-no2-specs-1903.jpg1903-cincinnati-spindle.jpg1903-cincinnati-gear-box.jpg1903-cincinnati-knee.jpg
    Innovative design elements rather than a direct copy of the B&S style.
    Looks like a solid mill at a real good price.
    John

  15. Likes alum100k liked this post
  16. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Houston, TX USA
    Posts
    30,433
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Thanks John - about half the "pictures" in my 1903 (which says Export Edition) have been removed by previous owners

    Somewhere between the 1897 and this one they switched from woodcuts to photos. The '97 has ONE photo.

    Thumbnail one of the 1897 pages - headed towards a good feed system but nothing positive yet. Note also the teeny size #3 dimensions.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    Screenshots from the 1903 catalog;
    no2-bells-whistles.jpgcincinnati-no2-specs-1903.jpg1903-cincinnati-spindle.jpg1903-cincinnati-gear-box.jpg1903-cincinnati-knee.jpg
    Innovative design elements rather than a direct copy of the B&S style.
    Looks like a solid mill at a real good price.
    John
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1897-cinc-scan-01.jpg  

  17. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Great Photo's jhruska ! hadn't seen those yet!

    I have had this thing listed locally for over a month with out any bites - guess there isn't a market for these older machines thinking at this rate I will just keep it and restore it later on (as I refuse to let this go to a scrapper lol)

  18. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    651
    Likes (Received)
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_Finn View Post
    Great Photo's jhruska ! hadn't seen those yet!

    I have had this thing listed locally for over a month with out any bites - guess there isn't a market for these older machines thinking at this rate I will just keep it and restore it later on (as I refuse to let this go to a scrapper lol)
    Excellent!! Please start a thread once you start the restore.

  19. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post
  20. #14
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Munster, In. USA
    Posts
    2,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    492
    Likes (Received)
    740

    Default

    johnoder, YVW, however I am just the message boy so a shout out thanks to the public library of Cincinnati, Ohio.
    The public library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County of Ohio has a collection of catalogs that can be downloaded in pdf format.
    Here is the link for the following Cincinnati Milling Machine catalogs:
    CONTENTdm
    Here one can find the catalogs for the years 1896, 1903, 1904, 1907, and 1919.
    The catalogs are both educational and informative to fit the evolving machine tool trade for this period.
    John

  21. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post
  22. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Illinois
    Posts
    76
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    16

    Default

    I live 938 miles away, but really need your #2. It could keep my 1910 Candey-Otto and 1904 LeBlond company!
    I assume the offer to deliver for rental and gas does not apply to Illinois!

  23. Likes RCPDesigns liked this post
  24. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Midlothian, TX
    Posts
    333
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    281
    Likes (Received)
    102

    Default

    It’s a long weekend, you can do it.....I drove ago Irby’s and back in 3-1/2 days for some machines. Dallas to the Virginia coast and back. Machines are worth it☺️

    Twice actually 😳

  25. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post
  26. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Georgia
    Posts
    451
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    651
    Likes (Received)
    238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hillbilly View Post
    I live 938 miles away, but really need your #2. It could keep my 1910 Candey-Otto and 1904 LeBlond company!
    I assume the offer to deliver for rental and gas does not apply to Illinois!
    I'm sure the mill has some work to be done but I do think you'll be happy with it. I think this is the "Universal" model which at that time didn't mean the vertical head, rather it referred to the swivel table and indexing head that give the mill helical capabilities. A somewhat more simple use is to be able to swivel the table +/- 40 or so degrees.

  27. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post
  28. #18
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hillbilly View Post
    I live 938 miles away, but really need your #2. It could keep my 1910 Candey-Otto and 1904 LeBlond company!
    I assume the offer to deliver for rental and gas does not apply to Illinois!
    LOL - it would be a small fortune :P - nice collection tho !!!

  29. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    69
    Likes (Received)
    42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jhruska View Post
    johnoder, YVW, however I am just the message boy so a shout out thanks to the public library of Cincinnati, Ohio.
    The public library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County of Ohio has a collection of catalogs that can be downloaded in pdf format.
    Here is the link for the following Cincinnati Milling Machine catalogs:
    CONTENTdm
    Here one can find the catalogs for the years 1896, 1903, 1904, 1907, and 1919.
    The catalogs are both educational and informative to fit the evolving machine tool trade for this period.
    John
    Thanks!!! Nothing better then looking through those old catalogs!

  30. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Munster, In. USA
    Posts
    2,384
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    492
    Likes (Received)
    740

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bowtie_Finn View Post
    Thanks!!! Nothing better then looking through those old catalogs!
    Now your fingers will hold tight to that mill.
    John

  31. Likes Bowtie_Finn liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •