Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default FS Hendey 12x5 EBM lathe (needs repair) $250

I hastily picked up a Hendey 12” x 5’ EBM lathe off of a farm a while back to save it from being scrapped. A person who had worked on the farm was using it to make some metal parts for furniture as the story goes.

It is definitely in need of repair. The major thing that prevents me from wanting to allocate the space for the repair is that the bed has a fair amount of wear that was hiding under the carriage (pictured). Additionally, it is missing a few extra parts, such as the foot brake rods and bracket and the auto length stop rods and brackets. The tailstock and cross and compound screws are pretty worn. The side door has been broken off a while ago too apparently.

Anyways, basically, I don’t have much of a way to load it (engine hoist and prybars/rollers), unless you have a drop deck trailer or similar. If you can load it at my house/driveway, it is free $0.

Otherwise, Oct. 8 it is going to live at my rigger’s place for a little while, though he can load it onto anything. I would like to pay him for his time, so if you pick it up at my rigger’s it would be about $250.

I live in Blacksburg, VA. My rigger is in Dublin, VA.

If no one thinks it is worth repair, or wants for parts, I guess we will just let the inevitable happen and scrap it.

Thanks,
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bfde2b24-cc3d-4784-a9c1-866b83683734.jpg   894ea38f-4386-45f3-9fec-db896583cf72.jpg   d5e7a0f3-a3d1-4c06-b828-0206606d8aa1.jpg   ba1cd9f1-b1c4-4a3a-a207-9bdb7f189ef7.jpg   91bd0810-d407-45f9-98d6-5e9de98b704f.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a picture to compare the missing parts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails b0a70822-f05b-4386-bab3-ea0171eb708d.jpg  

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT: [off of a farm a while back] .. a lathe that everything works can still do ok farm work.
    When something needs to be super close you can often run it (the out end) between centers...but I don't want it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That lathe looks a lot better than some of the piles of junk I see people waste their time with.

How much way wear is scrap worthy- Does the carriage bind up?

I think that's a much better deal than most small crap old lathes you see for sale.

I'd expect that lathe to sell for around $2000 if someone spent an hour on it with some scotchbrite and hooked power to it.

Most people wouldn't have the slightest clue the ways were worn nor would it matter for their use. Stating it's scrap basically makes it such.

5. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I mean, I just don’t want to overstate its condition. It is a project, and I just don’t have time for it, or the money to send the bed out. I doubt it would sell at my friend’s place just knowing what machines have been sitting there with no takers.

—I don’t want to scrap it