What's new
What's new

FS- Lodge & Shipley Powerturn lathe, 16.5x30

Grigg

Hot Rolled
I bought this about 12 years ago and cleaned it up, changed oils, and fixed a few things, it runs well. However I've just purchased another larger machine and need the space.

The Lodge & Shipley Powerturn has a newer 15HP motor and runs fine on my 15HP 240V converter (converter not included).
Overall a good useable machine, I have had no trouble turning out good work it's just not new any more.
Model 1610 (best I can figure)
New February 1957
Serial 43500
Swings 16.5" over the carriage and 10" over the compound.
30" between centers
L1 spindle
MT#4 tailstock
Aloris tool post and a couple holders.

It's hooked up and running now but I need to move it out this week or next, if you'd like to see it run please make arrangements to do so soon.

I will get it out the shop door but loading it on truck or trailer is buyers responsibility and risk. Weighs about 6,000 lb and is about 9' long

Asking $2500, make me a fair and reasonable offer. I'd also consider cash and a partial trade.
I also have a Clausing model 5914 with lots of accessories, asking $2500 for it.

IMG_0193.JPG

IMG_0197.JPG

IMG_0175.JPG

These pictures are not the most recent, I'll take some new ones shortly. It has some more dust on it lately but not a lot of use.

Thanks, but are you sure? I ask because I just bought an 18x78" Powerturn complete with all the original paperwork including a large blueprint with dimensions of the machine including "appropriate weight 8,400 lb".
When I bought the 16.5x30" some years ago I found the 6,000lb figure/guess, and now knowing a bigger machine weighs about 8K the 6K figure sounds appropriate for the little one.

Tomorrow I'll start a new thread with info and pictures of my new machine, the 18x78". I have several questions about it.

Thanks,
Grigg

What is the top spindle speed on the Powerturn?

15 HP usually meant the 1740 top

10 HP for 1160 and 20 HP for 2000

Thanks, but are you sure?

Here is the 20 Standard brochure for the immediate forerunner of the PT. 14, 16 and 20 std all used same bed, carriage, AND head stock - the 20 std having a little more ht. The PT is heavier simply because it is a bit "newer"

Brochure is Model X. The PT was the Model 2X

The 20 std with 30" centers was 7600 in this brochure

Brochure Scan by John Oder | Photobucket

I think your weights are a bit low. I have a 18 x 54 Powerturn built in 1978 and it is quite a bit more than 10,000 lbs. My lathe does have a TA and a 2 speed tail stock though and it is identified as a tool room model. By the way these are the best lathes I have ever used. They are powerful, smooth, easy to operate and dead accurate. My machine also has a D1-6 spindle. At $2500, this machine is a steal. My machine cost the US Army $75,000 new and I don't think there is a lathe built as well made today. Keep in mind that these lathes have hardened, precision ground steel ways that simply do not wear.

Thanks for the comments.
I became fond of these Powerturns while serving my apprenticeship at a shipyard where they had, and I assume still have, about 2 dozen. I found the L&S lathes to be quite capable machines, well made, and easy to run. they're big heavy and strong which is all good, and they're new enough to have useful high spindle speeds you don't find on a similar lathe 20 years older.

I measured what it will actually swing over the carriage wings and looks like 18". Not sure why they stamped 16.5" on the tag, and I believe the catalog calls it a 13" lathe...

Moved the lathe out of the shop yesterday and into the garage (still dry and heated).
If interested come take a look and bring a trailer.
For a short time I'll still have a substantial excavator in the driveway and can load it on an open truck/trailer.

Comes with 15" 4 jaw chuck and Aloris tool post. Check the prices on just those items used and I think you'll see the whole lathe with those for only $2500 is priced to sell.

IMG_0859.JPG

IMG_0878.JPG

I could use a 30 or 37.5kva 240-480V transformer for another project.
We could adjust the price on the lathe with the partial trade of a transformer.

Grigg

Just to help out Grigg and a possible new owner.
I hope to have an unloaded trailer, going by Grigg's shop after Mother's day. Grigg load it and you pay for fuel from his place (Virginia) to anywhere along the I-64 corridor to mid Missouri. Anywhere farther than that and the hauling cost will go up, for fuel and time.
You will need a way to unload it and I'm sure Grigg and I can figure a way to get it on the trailer.

Don

I think your weights are a bit low. I have a 18 x 54 Powerturn built in 1978 and it is quite a bit more than 10,000 lbs. My lathe does have a TA and a 2 speed tail stock though and it is identified as a tool room model. By the way these are the best lathes I have ever used. They are powerful, smooth, easy to operate and dead accurate. My machine also has a D1-6 spindle. At $2500, this machine is a steal. My machine cost the US Army $75,000 new and I don't think there is a lathe built as well made today. Keep in mind that these lathes have hardened, precision ground steel ways that simply do not wear.

I own a toolmakers model 1610 18x54 also, I ran it across my certified scale on the way into the shop. It is 8400# on the nose.

Thanks for more info on the weight. Wish I could weigh the ones I have but it has never been convenient to find a scale when they were in the trailer, and then to weigh the empty trailer. Perhaps when this one sells the next guy can weigh it.

In any case it's a lot of lathe.

I've had a good number of calls and a few lookers on this lathe. Best comment so far "Wow, I didn't think it was going to be so big and study!" Which translates to more lathe than he wanted in the garage.

I'm really ready to move this machine and I'll figure out/arrange for loading it.

Bring a trailer and cash and I'm pretty sure we can come to an agreement on price.

Any questions just message me and ask.

The lathe is sold and paid for last week, should be moved next week.
Thanks for all the comments, discussion, and interest in it.
Grigg

I am the new owner!
this will be going into the student shop of the Ohio University Engineering school.
very excited.
Grigg has an amazing collection of machine tools
thanks Grigg!
a fabulous experience.

Joey

You got a super machine. They don't make new lathes like that any more. Take good care of her and she will be worth much more than you paid.

Back