What's new
What's new

FS (NH) Prentice & Co's Improved Screw Cutting Lathe (foot operated)

eirual

Plastic
I have an antique metal lathe made in Worchester MA in the late 1800's that I would like to sell. The main body of the lathe has been fully restored, and it comes with a set of gears for making screw threads, as well as the leather belt.

Due to size - it's currently apart, but with the right set of muscles it could be easily reassembled. When looking at the pictures - the red dust is just that - loose dust, the only rust is on the gears - not the main machine. I will be happy to take many more detailed photos if there is any interest.

I am asking $3000 for this, you have to either pick it up or pay a non-refundable deposit of $1000 (to cover me getting a friend to come over and help me get it in my car, and the actual drive down) plus mileage, and I will deliver within 300 miles of So. NH.

IMG_20190806_101158.jpg IMG_20190806_101155.jpg IMG_20190806_101458.jpg IMG_20190806_101230.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20190806_101534.jpg
    IMG_20190806_101534.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 246
Resist any offers from a person from Amesbury MA who is a "machine disassembler."

He buys machinery on the cheap particularly for the legs, and then sells the parts on craigslist and Ebay and quadruples his money.

He apparently has the luxury of time in the marketplace - often a good portion of the disassembled goes unsold so I imagine he's good friends with the scrap man too.

Yes I know. Free enterprise and all that. But one wonders the shallowness of being which has no appreciation at all for history. And actively works to see it undone.

As Mike Dunbar (Windsor Chair maker of Hampton, NH) said in his Wooden Plane Book, "Imagine your challenge of a cold day, a hot wood stove needful of fuel, and a wooden plane seemingly beyond function - this a wooden plane that survived a hundred years - until it met YOU."

Given your asking price I imagine he will bypass you - but it is a rare and unique piece.

Amesbury Man may go the extra mile simply for the pleasure of dispersal.

Good luck with the sale.

Joe in NH

Resist any offers from a person from Amesbury MA who is a "machine disassembler."

Thanks for the tip. I really do want this to find a good home.. A friend at work suggested that I could encase it in plexiglass and have it as a sofa table... Tempting idea... If there are no offers, I may just set it up as an art piece in my studio..

Would it help if I assembled it? I was avoiding doing that due to laziness - this sucker is HEAVY. I am open to offers, it's really a beautiful lathe - but it needs a better home than mine. BTW the red dust is just that, I used to have this stored in my garage, and did powder coating in there. So this is loose dust (not bonded) , and comes off with a cloth.

I showed your pics to my wife. Well isn't that pretty. Why don't yours look that nice? I do agree with her!

Your wife? By definition that makes her unavailable?

My wife would see the pix and snort "More rusty junk - you don't have room."

We don't even talk about HER attic anymore. One does (or doesn't) do what is necessary to survive.

Joe in NH

Back