What's new
What's new

fs: unknown lathe in Springfield, MA

the Increaser

Plastic
I also have an older lathe that I would like to give away but not sure where to post this on the forum. Haven't visited here in years. If I am in the wrong place please help me and direct me to the right place to post this on practical machinist. The lathe is old but in perfect condition and was never abused. I wanted to keep this for myself but it is more than I need and I have no means of moving it. If interested drop me a note. Here is a picture of the lathe. I have been using this lathe in my Father's shop for 40 years but can't recall the brand. I will look on Sunday and post it. Hopefully my picture will post. This lathe is near Springfield Mass. thankscamera card 783.jpg

The Increaser-

It's good of you to find a home for this machine. There's a thread on this forum targeting items wanted and for sale that would probably be an appropriate place to post. Has some similarities to an older Prentice that Keith Rucker just profiled on his YouTube channel that makes me wonder if it doesn't share that lineage rather than Southbend.

Regardless, good on you for taking the time to put it in good hands.

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/tooling-parts-and-accessories-for-sale-or-wanted/

I also have an older lathe that I would like to give away but not sure where to post this on the forum. Haven't visited here in years. If I am in the wrong place please help me and direct me to the right place to post this on practical machinist. The lathe is old but in perfect condition and was never abused. I wanted to keep this for myself but it is more than I need and I have no means of moving it. If interested drop me a note. Here is a picture of the lathe. I have been using this lathe in my Father's shop for 40 years but can't recall the brand. I will look on Sunday and post it. Hopefully my picture will post. This lathe is near Springfield Mass. thanksView attachment 232897

That looks like a fairly old lathe (pre-1900) that someone converted to electric motor underdrive. Interesting. Could be a very decent machine for someone.

Andy

I also have an older lathe that I would like to give away but not sure where to post this on the forum. Haven't visited here in years. If I am in the wrong place please help me and direct me to the right place to post this on practical machinist. The lathe is old but in perfect condition and was never abused. I wanted to keep this for myself but it is more than I need and I have no means of moving it. If interested drop me a note. Here is a picture of the lathe. I have been using this lathe in my Father's shop for 40 years but can't recall the brand. I will look on Sunday and post it. Hopefully my picture will post. This lathe is near Springfield Mass. thanksView attachment 232897

I *might* be interested, but its a long drive from Buffalo.... how does it to at thread cutting?

It's an F. E. Reed, maybe 14" swing. Everything below the bed is not original. The tag on the headstock should give the name. I have one nearly like it. I'll go look at the belt pulleys on the left on mine to see if it's pre or post 1891.

Irby

The tag over the pull-out knob will look like this.

attachment.php

Irby

Attachments

• lockout tag.jpg
    lockout tag.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 166
I *might* be interested, but its a long drive from Buffalo.... how does it to at thread cutting?

It uses change gears for thread cutting. I don't see a thread dial and I'd have to look at mine to see if you would have to keep the half nut engaged all the time to keep the cutting tool and work synced. Maybe someone who has cut threads on an old F.E. Reed can chime in - like Doc in Kentucky.

Irby

Back