What's new
What's new

FS WM Barker & Co shaper

The_SR-71

Plastic
I have a WM Barker & Co shaper to sell. This was my Dad's and unfortunately I have no place for it now and it needs to find a new shop to live in or sadly it will be scrapped. It is located in Newark Ohio and I can arrange loading onto your trailer. Below are a couple poor pictures I have. I'm asking $450 for it but open to real offers. Rob
IMG_3483.jpgIMG_2579.jpgIMG_2577.jpg

Welcome to PM.

Rules for this forum restrict shapers to the Antique Machinery section. The people who would be interested in the shaper are there anyway. I suggest the moderator move this.

CarlBoyd

Guys time is running out this piece of history. I hate to scrap it and really hoped someone would rescue this shaper. If anyone thinks they are interested please get in touch with me as the storage is going away within the next few weeks.
Rob

16" WM Barker shaper that is located in Two Rivers, WI and is for sale for $900.
Front.jpgLeft.jpgRight.jpg

Your shaper looks like it has a larger vice. Cannot tell if it is the same size shaper.
What is the length of the horizontal slot in the top of the ram?
Appears that the ram on your shaper is larger.
John

16" WM Barker shaper that is located in Two Rivers, WI and is for sale for $900.
View attachment 229560View attachment 229561View attachment 229563

Your shaper looks like it has a larger vice. Cannot tell if it is the same size shaper.
What is the length of the horizontal slot in the top of the ram?
Appears that the ram on your shaper is larger.
John

I'll get the dimensional information tomorrow when I'm there but as to weight I cannot find a listing of it anywhere. I'm guessing easily over 2,500 lbs.

I'm intrigued. But yes, we need more info. Defiantly need weight or at least if you have a forklift that can lift it, what's it rated at so we'd know what caliber of trailer is needed.

I have some vacation time coming up so an 36 hour round trip isn't entirely impossible.:scratchchin:

Doubt that the weight can be determined without a scale.
The weight should be less than a G&E or a Cincinnati of similar stroke length.
That vise looks like it weighs more than the table!
John

Doubt that the weight can be determined without a scale.
The weight should be less than a G&E or a Cincinnati of similar stroke length.
That vise looks like it weighs more than the table!
John

Does need some sessing out. FWIW-not-much a 12" Sheldon was IIRC, 1802 Avoir.

CAVEAT- major one: The Sheldons may be about the lightest shapers, ever for their stroke.
Also around the upper-bound as an average pickup truck in-bed load, figuring blocking & c. atop that figure, fuel, driver, etc. also against total rated payload.

"easily over 2500" yazz. The Barker here "should be" around twice as heavy as the Sheldon, maybe more, need appropriate transport according.

2CW

Is this one a 12" stroke? It looked bigger but I see it now. 12" would work, 7 or 8" would be too small for my plans.

I've wanted a shaper for awhile and we keep having jobs that we joke "See, this is why we need a shaper!" Things like broaching an 8" long sleeve and such. I've also thought about getting a key-seater but a shaper could do more than the one task and the cost of cutters is much more pleasant. Just waiting for the space/time continuum to work in my favor....

Sorry for the delay as I didn't get to go until tonight. The stoke appears to be 16". The base is approximately 25" X 45" with the belt pulleys extending past it about a 12"-16". The vise is a little over 11" wide. I've attached some pictures to help you see what it looks like. As for loading it I have a friend that has a heavy duty wrecker that will life it to place it on a trailer. I'm still guessing it's well north of 2,000 pounds.
Rob

Attachments

• IMG_03131.jpg
    IMG_03131.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_03101.jpg
    IMG_03101.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0315.jpg
    IMG_0315.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_03161.jpg
    IMG_03161.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_03171.jpg
    IMG_03171.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 125
^ If he doesn't get it, I'll be watching this thread. Please keep us in the loop on your time frame on this thing.

When I got my Hendey it was a similar situation: they were clearing out storage and just wanted it to go home. But when I showed up to figure out how I would move it, they dropped the bomb that "it has to be gone today!" so that sparked a small scale rigging adventure.

Well a friend of mine and I spent a couple hours tonight getting the shaper out of the garage and ready to be picked up. I used some transmission oil on a brush to keep the machined surfaces from rusting while outside. I wrapped a blanket over the top and then a new tarp to protect it. Literally minutes after we were done I got a call saying that he couldn't take it since his better half put her foot down. I do wish I knew this before moving it outside under the carport roof but it was it is. So anyone that is serious about purchasing it please PM me or respond back to arrange picking it up. It's as you can see is ready for it's new shop home. Sorry the pictures are rotated for some reason. Thanks, Rob

Attachments

• IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_3166.jpg
    IMG_3166.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3167.jpg
    IMG_3167.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 93
Unfortunately time is running out on this. We're still working to clean out the rest of the equipment. I'm guessing at this point but I'm thinking I'll have to make a decision on what to do by the 4th of July. Hopefully someone will want it and I won't be forced to scrap it.

Back